Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting | Cupcake Project

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting

Pumpkin cupcakes are so overdone. Pumpkin cupcakes are everywhere and if it’s not pumpkin cupcakes, it’s pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, or pumpkin cookies. If it’s Fall, you’d better like pumpkin!

The good news is that most people do love pumpkin. We love it so much that we end up using it as a term of endearment. I regularly call Myles “pumpkin”. Jonathan points out that I used to call our poodle “pumpkin” as well. I’m sure if we had a pet pot bellied pig, he’d be “pumpkin”, too.

(I couldn’t resist another Myles photo.
He’s sucking the pacifier because
he’s too young to eat the pumpkin cupcakes.)

Bride and Groom 3.0 are no exception to the plethora of pumpkin people. They listed pumpkin as one of the flavors they might want for their wedding.

Why Pick This Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe Over Any Other One?

We know from pumpkin pie that pumpkin and graham go well together. These pumpkin cupcakes capitalize on that. They contain graham flour and graham cracker bits. The graham cracker bits soften during the baking process. Rather than adding a crunch, they add a richer, grahamy flavor to the cupcake. The graham flavor does, however, make these treats seem a bit more muffiny than cupcakey (if you don’t like the earthy, graham flavor, you might consider trying my pumpkin cupcakes with rum and maple instead).

My favorite part about these pumpkin cupcakes was the pumpkin cheesecake frosting. Use it to top any Fall dessert and you won’t go wrong.

Bride and Groom 3.0 Review

Bride 3.0 warned me that she wasn’t a big fan of frosting. I thought that perhaps I’d win her over with a cream cheese-based frosting. But, it turns out that she doesn’t like cream cheese frostings (back to the baking board). Groom 3.0 and their roomate, Davin, loved the frosting.

Although Bride 3.0 didn’t like the frosting, she did let me know that she loves sprinkles. She calls them sparkles! How fun! Expect to see more sparkly cupcakes coming soon.

Both Bride and Groom 3.0 found the cupcakes to be a bit too muffiny/breakfasty to be a wedding choice. They also thought that the cupcakes could be somewhat more pumpkiny. This was in contrast to other tasters. One of my tasters, Christina, even said, “Wow… this is so pumpkiny!”

They rated this cupcake three out of five fireworks. They made up the firework system and I dig it!

The Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe

The cupcake recipe contains graham crackers. You can use any store-bought graham crackers or make homemade pumpkin graham crackers.

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting

• 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 3/4 C pumpkin puree
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C cream soda
  • 1 T vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
  • 2 C smashed graham crackers (pea-sized bits)
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting Ingredients
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 C pumpkin puree
  • 3 C powdered sugar, sifted

Cupcake Instructions
  1. Whisk together flours, spices, baking soda, and salt.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, and eggs. Beat until smooth.
  3. Mix the oil, cream soda, and vanilla into the wet ingredients.
  4. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
  5. Stir in the graham crackers.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes.
  8. Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting Instructions
  9. Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
  10. Mix in pumpkin puree.
  11. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar. You can add more sugar to make the frosting stiffer, but I think that makes it too sweet.

Notes

Top each cupcake with a pumpkin graham cracker.

48 Responses to Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting

1. Emma Louise October 14, 2009 at 8:00 am #

He’s adorable!!! :) x

2. Stephanie October 14, 2009 at 8:45 am #

Myles is so cute and the cupcakes look amazing. My husband love pumpkin so I’m sure we will make these this weekend.

3. Ivy October 14, 2009 at 9:08 am #

The little cookies on top are really cute! And Myles is just a cutie *pumpkin* pie. :)

4. Essie October 14, 2009 at 10:19 am #

Wow!! Maybe Im boring i always thought that pumpkin fritters is outside the box but this takes the cupcake cake!! Do you have any suggestions on a grown up version of pink cupcakes??? Would love some suggestions. Also check out my blog on cupcakes http//www.cupcakedecor.blogspot.com
    get free recipes & coffee tips with fun gadgets to have a look at & enjoy!

5. Em October 14, 2009 at 10:39 am #

I love your blog – but you ask for 1/2 cup cream soda in this one. I don’t know what you mean. Is there a way to make cream soda??

6. Stef October 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm #

Em – I mean vanilla cream soda like Dr. Browns.

7. mrsofficer October 15, 2009 at 7:47 am #

Ijust bought tons of canned pumpkin tomake some bread and mini tarts, but these cupcakes look yummy and cheesecake frosting ugh i want one now! lol thanks for the recipe

8. Eliana October 15, 2009 at 12:06 pm #

these cupcakes ook yummy but not better than your cute lil pumpkin.

9. Mimi October 17, 2009 at 7:40 am #

Your little pumpkin is adroable and the cupcakes look great too.
    Mimi

10. thereddeer October 17, 2009 at 7:42 pm #

I made pumpkin cupcakes not to long ago – yum! I love sweet pumpkin baked goods!

11. Tessa October 17, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

pumpkin and cream cheese are two of my favorite foods!

12. the ungourmet October 18, 2009 at 8:19 pm #

I do so love the graham flour idea! This is a super combination! You are always bursting with creative and fun ideas. Thanks! D

13. La Pastry Chef October 19, 2009 at 10:14 am #

Cute! (the cupcakes and Myles)
    Congrats on your Paula Deen Cupcake post. They’re so pretty and festive.

14. Margarita October 20, 2009 at 11:19 pm #

can you use pumpkin pie filling? i’m having trouble finding pumpkin puree.

15. Karly October 21, 2009 at 10:33 am #

Myles is adorable and the cupcakes look and sound delicious!

16. Cakespy October 21, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

Cuteness and deliciousness…this post is a double threat. Both look good enough to eat, although I think you’d prefer we eat the cupcakes. :-)

17. oneordinaryday October 21, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

Looks delicious. (And adorable too.)

18. Stef October 21, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

Margarita – Unfortunatly, pumpkin pie filling won’t work. It’s not the same thing. Sorry. Isn’t this pumpkin shortage awful?!

19. Patricia October 21, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

I’m thinking of making of these as an alternative to pumpkin pie this Halloween, for my friends who’ve never had pumpkin before, just as an introduction to the flavours and all. If they don’t like them I guess I’ll eat them all myself :)
    In Ireland and the UK we tend not to have cream cheese icing but stick to what you guys call buttercream icing. I’ve made creamcheese icing once before, which wasn’t a great success and I’m just wondering if I’m doing something wrong, like maybe using the wrong kind of cream cheese. I just used Philedelphia style cheese. Is there a certain kind you’re supposed to use when making icing? Thanks!

20. Stef October 21, 2009 at 4:48 pm #

Patricia – Hope your friends like them. Yes, I use Philadelphia style cheese. It may have just been the particular recipe that you used. The pumpkin cheesecake frosting is not very stiff so it will have a very different feel that buttercream frosting. My favorite frosting EVER is chocolate cream cheese frosting. You should definitely give that a try sometime. Make sure the cream cheese is room temperature.

21. Patricia October 21, 2009 at 5:11 pm #

Great, thanks! I’ll definitly try the chocolate one aswell, mmm… chocolate… :)

22. Mama Schoon October 26, 2009 at 10:59 am #

I’m so excited; I’m making these for my Halloween party. I LOVE pumpkin. If they go over well with my roomie (which I expect they will), I might make them again for Thanksgiving :D

Thanks for all the deliciousness

23. Kim November 1, 2009 at 12:18 pm #

I made these yesterday for a Halloween party and EVERYONE said they were the best cupcake I’ve ever made!

The icing was fantastic! I added 1 tsp. of cinnamon to mine – mostly for the speckled look!

Thank you!!!!

24. Cindy November 1, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

I live in Australia and have no idea what Cream Soda is. Could anyone please give me an idea. Here we have a soft drink (soda as you call it in the USA) called creaming soda but it is red flavoured soft drink. I know in the comments it said vanilla cream soda but that doesn’t help me know what it is. Thanks in advance for any answers/clarification.

25. mcschoon November 2, 2009 at 8:24 pm #

i just wanted to share that i made these for a party last weekend. they were a HUGE hit :) unfortunately, i messed up the icing so it became a pumpkin dip for the cupcakes and fruit (also a hit). thanks again for this project. keep making the cupcakes; i’ll happily keep borrowing the recipes :D

26. Stef November 3, 2009 at 7:52 am #

Cindy – Hmm.. it’s not red. It’s basically a vanilla soda. You could make it yourself with club soda and vanilla syrup.

27. Emanprinting July 21, 2010 at 1:10 am #

Really great project and this project is informative and helpful thanks for share it.

Folder printing

28. Lauren September 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

can you omit the cream soda?

29. Stef September 30, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

Lauren – No you can’t. But you can replace it with a different soda or a simple syrup.

30. meettheswans.com November 5, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

I was excited to find your Pumpkin Frosting! How did you get it to stay nicely piped on the cupcake like in the top picture? I made it and saw it wasn’t real thick. I ended up doubling the powdered sugar and it still wasn’t thick enough to pipe on and stay in place! Let me know if you have a special trick!

31. Stef November 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

Meet – Sorry it didn’t work out for you. It’s tasty, but it’s not a very thick frosting. You’ll see that I have a swirl, but it’s not big and tall. My favorite pumpkin frosting lately is this one. It’s amazing! Another thing that I recently learned is that you can make an actual pumpkin cheesecake (baked in the oven and all) and pipe that on top of cupcakes. Yum!

32. meettheswans.com November 9, 2010 at 11:07 am #

Thanks for the reply! I think I am going to try your idea of using pumpkin pie! Thanks! – Krista

33. Lauren Moyer August 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

Mmmm!! That looks delish! I must try that immediately!

34. Wydarzenia Koszalin August 19, 2011 at 7:49 am #

I will right away grab your rss feed as I cant find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

35. Jana J September 13, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

The pumpkin frosting was amazing, especially with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg added to it, the only unfortunate thing is it just doesn’t stiffen to a normal frosting texture, it’s more of a glaze. I added up to 6 cups of powdered sugar and it didn’t stiffen at all, but otherwise it works great as a glaze for a bunt cake!

36. Stef September 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

Wydarzania – Just click the subscribe button at the top of the blog.

Jana – Hmm.. I don’t remember it being quite the liquidy. One thing that you could try is using a recipe for an actual pumpkin cheesecake. Bake it without the crust, and then pipe it on the cupcakes. I’ve done that. It works really well.

37. Anonymous September 19, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

To use the pumpkin cheesecake, do you have to cook it? or just put it on the cupcakes?

I added more pumpkin to it so it would have more of a pumpkin flavour and I can’t get it to thicken at all.
    thank you for the recipe.

38. Stef September 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

Anon – Bake it first (you don’t need a crust) and then pipe it.

39. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

Is it possible to leave out the pumpkin in the cheesecake frosting to just have cheesecake frosting? would i need to change any measurements?

40. Stef October 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

Anon – Yes, you could leave out the pumpkin in the frosting.

41. PrintingHost October 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Nice.. he is really adorable..
    folders printing | clear window stickers | sticker printing

42. Chi chi del October 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

I just made these a little while ago and they were awesome! And super cute….great recipe!

43. Chi chi del October 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

1. My Ten Favorite Fall Cupcake Recipes | Cupcake Project - April 9, 2013

[...] Get the recipe. [...]

2. Do You Live in A Divided Home? Make Vanilla and Chocolate Cupcakes at the Same Time | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] half the time and chocolate the other half. c) Never make vanilla or chocolate and instead make pumpkin cupcakes every day. d) Make vanilla and chocolate cupcakes at the same time, using the same [...]

3. Apple Cobbler Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting — {Sweetly} Serendipity - September 29, 2013

[...] pumpkin pie to make the frosting in the original recipe. I used another Cupcake Project recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake Frosting, but as I mentioned earlier I was short on powdered sugar, so my frosting was a little bit [...]

4. Pumpkin Spiced Frostings | Three Pups and a Cupcake - December 27, 2013

[...] But the other was a Pumpkin Cream Cheese buttercream recipe and it was really good and I will definitely use it again! I found it here. [...]

5. Pumpkin Graham Crackers | Cupcake Project - January 12, 2014