Chocolate pumpkin pie is the pumpkin pie for chocolate lovers. Each bite of this double-layer pumpkin pie brings you intense chocolate plus classic fall pumpkin pie goodness.
What Makes This Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Special
- A layer of flourless chocolate cake – Chocolate and pumpkin go so well together and you can’t beat flourless chocolate cake for rich chocolate flavor.
- A layer of classic pumpkin pie – It’s moist, sweet, and perfectly spiced.
- A topping of chocolate-dipped toasted pecans for a little crunch – Most pumpkin pies don’t have any texture variation and just a little bit of crunch in the pie adds textural interest.
How to Make Double Layer Pumpkin Pie
To make the chocolate pumpkin pie, spread a layer of flourless chocolate cake batter onto a pie crust. You can use any store-bought or homemade pie crust. (I absolutely adore my vegan pie crust even in non-vegan recipes.)
Then, you top the chocolate cake batter with pumpkin pie batter.
Place the pie on top of a cookie sheet (always a safe thing to do in case anything spills or overflows) and bake for 15 minutes.
Lower the oven temperature and bake for another 30 minutes.
You’ll know the pie is done when the pumpkin layer has a skin (if you touch it, your finger doesn’t go right through it like a liquid) and, if you shake the pan, the pie is just a little jiggly, like jello.
Remove from the oven but keep the pie on the hot cookie sheet and let the whole thing cool for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
Did you happen to notice that in the photo of the baked pie, the chocolate is at the top, not the bottom?
During the bake, the chocolate layer will magically float to the top, leaving the pumpkin layer at the bottom. It’s a fun surprise!
How to Decorate Pumpkin Pie
There are many different ways to decorate pumpkin pie:
- chantilly cream
- additional pieces of pie crust cut into fall shapes
- dulce de leche drizzle
- chocolate ganache
- chocolate leaves
- edible flowers
This chocolate pumpkin pie is decorated with toasted pecans dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkles.
The Best Chocolate to Use
I like to use dark chocolate in the pie itself, but use a different chocolate for the chocolate-covered nuts.
One of my favorite chocolates to use for the nuts is salted caramel chocolate. It’s such a great complementary flavor.
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Flourless Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons water
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pie crust for a 9" deep dish pie unbaked
Pumpkin Pie Ingredients
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
Chocolate-Covered Pecans Ingredients
- 60 pecan halves
- 2 ounces chocolate
- sprinkles to taste
Flourless Chocolate Cake Instructions
- Combine the water, salt, sugar, and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- Either in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave oven, melt the chocolate.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, one piece at a time.
- Beat in the hot sugar-water.
- Slowly beat in the eggs and the egg white, one at a time.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pie crust.
Pumpkin Pie Instructions
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Mix in eggs.
- Mix in pumpkin.
- Mix in evaporated milk.
- Pour over the chocolate layer of the pie.
- Place pie on top of a cookie sheet (always a safe thing to do in case anything spills or overflows) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and bake for another 30 minutes or until the pumpkin layer has a skin (if you touch it, your finger doesn't go right through it like a liquid) and, if you shake the pan, the pie is just a little jiggly, like jello.
- Remove from the oven but keep the pie on the hot cookie sheet and let the whole thing cool for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
Chocolate-Covered Pecans Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place pecan halves on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for five minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and melt in a double-boiler or in the microwave in twenty second increments, stirring after each increment.
- Dip half of each pecan half into melted chocolate, then dip in sprinkles and place back on parchment to dry. Tip: Only put a small amount of sprinkles in the bowl at a time. Once they get too much chocolate on them from multiple dips they won't stick to the nuts anymore and you will need to replenish.
- Decoratively arrange pecans on top of the pie before serving.