While you may be tempted to skip this apple butter frosting recipe and just slather plain apple butter on your cakes and cupcakes (and I couldn’t blame you), I highly recommend giving the apple butter caramel icing a try. It’s got brown sugar, apple butter, and cinnamon and is perfect for any Fall cupcake or for eating with a spoon! It’s sweet, but not too sweet, and if you love apple butter (like me), you may have found your new favorite frosting.
This is one of those recipes that came out of my head and worked perfectly the very first time I tried it. It’s a good day when that happens!
How to Make Apple Butter Icing
Melt the butter
Add the apple butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low.
Continue to boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the milk and cinnamon and bring to a boil, still stirring constantly.
Cool to lukewarm.
Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until thick enough to spread.
Apple Butter Caramel Icing
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the apple butter and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to medium low.
- Continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and the cinnamon and bring to a boil, still stirring constantly.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until thick enough to spread.