This apple butter frosting recipe is made with brown sugar, apple butter, and cinnamon and is perfect for any fall cupcake – or for eating with a spoon! It’s sweet, but not too sweet, and if you love apple butter (as I do), you may have found your new favorite frosting.
This is one of those recipes that came out of my head and worked perfectly the very first time I tried it. It’s a good day when that happens!
How to Make Apple Butter Icing
Start by melting butter.
Add the apple butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low.
Continue to boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the milk and cinnamon and bring to a boil, still stirring constantly.
Cool to lukewarm.
Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until thick enough to spread.
Apple Butter Caramel Icing
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the apple butter and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to medium low.
- Continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and the cinnamon and bring to a boil, still stirring constantly.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until thick enough to spread.