Toasted pumpkin seeds are incredibly easy to make and they are such a delicious, healthy, and addictive snack food! You can make sweet pumpkin seeds, salty pumpkin seeds, or a combination of both!
What Do You Need to Make Toasted Pumpkin Seeds?
You have two choices when making this recipe:
- Buy raw pumpkin seeds. You can often find these in the bulk section of grocery stores.
- Save the pumpkin seeds from a pumpkin when making a jack-o’-lantern or when using a pumpkin for pumpkin cupcakes or pumpkin cake. If you are using your own seeds, wash them thoroughly and set them on a cookie sheet to dry overnight before using them.
Pumpkin seeds can be eaten with the shells on them. There is no need to shell them.
How to Make Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
All toasted pumpkin seeds are made the same way:
- Mix the seeds with spices and a little melted butter or oil to make the spices stick.
- Spread them in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake at 300 F for about 45 minutes.
You’ll know the pumpkin seeds are done when they are lightly browned.
Sweet Pumpkin Seeds
To make the pumpkin seeds sweet, I like to season them with brown sugar and cinnamon.
Salty Pumpkin Seeds
If you just want the pumpkin seeds to be salty, try seasoning them with a kosher or coarse salt. You’ll get a nice salty crunch like you would with a salted pretzel.
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
Experiment with your favorite spices. Try pumpkin pie spice, pizza spices like basil, garlic, and oregano, or make them spicy and tangy with chili powder and lime juice.
The Best Pumpkin Seed Recipe
In my opinion, the best pumpkin seed recipe is one that is both sweet and salty – just like I make my roasted chickpeas. There’s something about a sweet and salty combination that gets me every time. It’s so addictive!
I’ve never had better toasted pumpkin seeds, ever!
Read the recipe below to see my combination of ingredients that yields this amazing taste.
Can You Make Pumpkin Seeds in the Microwave?
Yes! Place the prepared pumpkin seeds in a single layer in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave them in two minute increments, stirring between each one, until they are done (about 8 minutes).
How Long Do Toasted Pumpkin Seeds Last?
Pumpkin seeds will be soft when they first come out of the oven (or microwave) and they will get crunchier as they cool.
Store them in an airtight container in the pantry for up to three months or up to a year in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them for even longer!
What To Do With Pumpkin Seeds
Other than snacking on them, you can use roasted pumpkin seeds in:
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spread coated seeds in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until seeds are lightly toasted.