EASY Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
My incredibly easy to make toasted pumpkin seeds are such a delicious, healthy, and addictive snack food. You can make them sweet, salty, spiced, or a combination of those flavor profiles!
You have two choices when making this recipe:
- Buy raw pumpkin seeds. You can often find these in the bulk section of grocery stores.
- Save the seeds from a pumpkin when making a jack-o’-lantern or when making pumpkin cupcakes or pumpkin cake. If you are using your own seeds, wash them thoroughly and set them on a cookie sheet to dry thoroughly before using them.
Tip: You can eat these seeds with the shells still on them. There is no need to shell them.
How It’s Made
No matter whether you like them savory or sweet, the basic formula for making the recipe is the same.
First, mix the seeds with spices and a little melted butter or oil to make the spices stick.
Next, spread them in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Bake at 300 F for about 45 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they are lightly browned.
When I want to go sweet, I season them with brown sugar and cinnamon.
If you prefer savory pumpkin seeds, try seasoning them with kosher or coarse salt. You’ll get a nice salty crunch like you would with a salted pretzel.
Experiment with your favorite spices. Try pumpkin pie spice, pizza spices like basil, garlic, and oregano, or make them spicy and tangy with chili powder and lime juice.
Expert Tips and FAQs
In my opinion, the best combination of spices is one that is both sweet and salty – just like I use for my roasted chickpeas. There’s something about a sweet and salty combination that gets me every time; it’s so addictive!
Wash them thoroughly and set them on a cookie sheet to dry thoroughly before using them in this recipe.
Yes! Place the prepared seeds in a single layer in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave them in two minute increments, stirring between each one, until they are done (about 8 minutes).
They will be soft when they first come out of the oven (or microwave) and they will get crunchier as they cool.
Once they’re completely cooled, store toasted pumpkin seeds them in an airtight container in the pantry for up to three months or up to a year in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them for even longer!
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spread coated seeds in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until seeds are lightly toasted.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!