Prior to making sweet and salty crispy roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans), chickpeas did not entice me at snack time. I always reached for chocolate, Graham crackers, and other snacks. Silly me! I now realize that with minimal effort, sugar, oil, spices, and salt, a can of chickpeas can turn into a grazing food akin in addictiveness and crunching pleasure to popcorn.
Hop on board the chickpea choo choo (I’m picturing a train with chickpeas flying out of the engine instead of smoke) and give these a go! If you’re already along for the ride, I’d love to hear which spices you use.
Products Related to the Roasted Chickpea Recipe
This is chickpea recipe is so simple, but you do need a cookie sheet. Chicago Metallic makes my favorite cookie sheet. (View on Amazon)
You absolutely do not need a Silpat, but my life hasn’t been the same since I bought one. No more buying rolls of parchment paper or trying to scrub cookie sheets clean. (View on Amazon)
Don’t forget that chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing. Your can will look something like this. (View on Amazon)
If you don’t want to take them time to make these but still want to try something similiar, you can buy pre-made chickpea snacks. This brand makes them in a variety of flavors. (View on Amazon)
I encourage you to eat the chickpeas hot by the handful, but save a few as cupcake toppers for gluten-free chocolate cupcakes made with garbanzo bean flour.
Sweet and Salty Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can 14 oz chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or your spice s of choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Bake at 450 F for 30 minutes. (You didn't miss anything here. You don't oil or season them until after they are done. In fact, for an extra healthy treat, try them when they get out of the oven before even adding the oil. They are enjoyable all on their own.)
- Transfer chickpeas to a bowl and mix thoroughly with the rest of the ingredients.
- Enjoy hot, or bring to room temperature and store in an air-tight container. Like popped corn, the chickpeas are never as good the next day. However, they are still quite enjoyable 3-4 days after making them.