Vegan chocolate cupcakes can easily rival any non-vegan counterpart. These vegan chocolate cupcakes are light and bouncy like Hostess cupcakes – but leagues better. The best part of the vegan chocolate cupcakes was how well they domed. As my friend NZ Cupcake Queen (author of The Cupcake Project – not to be confused with this blog, Cupcake Project) says:
Feeling that a vegan chocolate cupcake (delectable or not) was uninteresting, I decided to make it a chocolate basil cupcake. Basil tastes strikingly similar to mint – so much so that my tasters said they would have confused these cupcakes for chocolate mint cupcakes if I didn’t tell them otherwise (or if they weren’t topped with basil leaves). However, the basil was different enough from mint for me to like it – I’m not a fan of mint.
I used basil grown in our own home garden, and I’m proud to enter this cupcake into this month’s Grow Your Own roundup hosted by Amy of Playing House.
I love how the event logo looks just like the basil leaves on my cupcakes!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Basil Recipe
I found the recipe for vegan chocolate cupcakes on Kylie’s blog, The Baking Bird. She got the recipe from the cookbook La Dolce Vegan!. Below is a reprinting of the recipe adapted to cupcakes with the addition of basil.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Basil
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1 3/4 C sugar
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 C fresh basil leaves packed firmly
- 1/2 cup soft or silken tofu
- 1 C soy milk
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 C oil
- 1/2 C water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a food processor, chop basil finely.
- Add the tofu, soy milk, vinegar, vanilla, and oil to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour contents of the food processor into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Add the water.
- Stir together until fully combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.