How to Convert a Cake Recipe to a Cupcake Recipe
You don’t need a cupcake recipe to bake cupcakes. In fact, most cake recipes can be easily converted to cupcake recipes:
- Make the cake batter as directed in the recipe.
- Fill one cupcake liner halfway with the batter.
- Bake at the temperature called for in the cake recipe, but check for doneness starting at 20 minutes.
- If the cupcake is not done, check on it at five-minute intervals until it is fully baked. Note how long baking took.
- See how high the cupcake rose. Some recipes don’t rise at all, while others will double in size.
- Use the cupcake’s height to determine whether you should fill the remaining cupcake liners more or less than halfway.
- Bake the remainder of the cupcakes for the time that you determined in steps 3 and 4. You may need to add a few minutes to account for a full cupcake tin.