These banana cupcakes are quick, easy, and delicious. Better yet, they are based on one of my favorite recipes from Grandma’s recipe book!
Grandma makes them with vanilla as the only spice, but when my son Myles and I make them, we like to add a slew of spices to the recipe.
Spices or no spices, this recipe is top banana!
Tips for Making the Best Banana Cupcakes
- Use super ripe – almost black – bananas. If you don’t have any ripe bananas around, you can peel your bananas and microwave them until they they get super soft, almost liquidy (this typically takes about 45 seconds). This will make them nice and sweet.
- Add spices! Myles and I like to put cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and cardamom in our banana cupcakes. If you don’t like any of these spices, simply leave them off. We highly recommend you try them, though!
- Frost with your favorite frosting. While I use vanilla cream cheese frosting, you can frost the cupcakes with any frosting that you choose. They are amazing with cinnamon cream cheese frosting, peanut butter frosting, chocolate cream cheese frosting, or my strawberry whipped cream frosting.
You can make these cupcakes as a cake! Put the batter into a greased 8″ x 8″ square baking dish and increase the baking time to about 30 minutes, testing for doneness starting at 20 minutes.
Also, try making hummingbird cupcakes. They are similar to banana cupcakes, but with the addition of pineapple and pecans.
Other Banana Desserts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas pack the mashed bananas down and allow to overflow slightly, about 2 bananas worth
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and Topping Ingredients
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- cinnamon sugar to taste
- 16 banana chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs.
- Mix in sour cream, flour, baking soda, and spices until just combined.
- Mix in vanilla and mashed bananas until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and Topping Instructions
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Mix in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time until fully combined.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and top each cupcake with a banana chip.