These one-bowl banana cupcakes are quick, easy, and delicious. They are based on one of my favorite recipes from Grandma’s recipe book and I top them with cream cheese frosting.
This is a perfect recipe to make if you have some overripe bananas sitting around in your house.
This recipe uses all basic pantry ingredients that you may already have in your house.
Use super ripe – almost black – bananas. If you don’t have any ripe bananas around, you can peel your bananas and microwave them until they they get super soft, almost liquidy (this typically takes about 45 seconds). This will make them nice and sweet.
Add spices! Myles and I like to put cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and cardamom in our banana cupcakes. If you don’t like any of these spices, simply leave them off. We highly recommend you try them, though!
Sour cream gives the cupcakes just a tiny tang of tartness. You can also replace it with yogurt if you prefer.
How It’s Made
This is such a simple recipe!
All in the same bowl, mix butter and sugar, then mix in eggs, then mix in sour cream, flour, baking soda, and spices.
Lastly, mix in vanilla and mashed bananas.
Frost with your favorite frosting. While I use vanilla cream cheese frosting, you can frost the cupcakes with any frosting that you choose. They are amazing with cinnamon cream cheese frosting, peanut butter frosting, chocolate cream cheese frosting, or my strawberry whipped cream frosting.
I top mine with a light dusting of cinnamon sugar and a dried banana chip.
Expert Tips and FAQs
You can make these cupcakes as a cake! Put the batter into a greased 8″ x 8″ square baking dish and increase the baking time to about 30 minutes, testing for doneness starting at 20 minutes.
You can leave them at room temperature for a three days or refrigerate for five days, bringing to room temperature before serving.
- Hummingbird cupcakes – They are similar to banana cupcakes, but with the addition of pineapple and pecans.
- Banana oatmeal chocolate chip muffins
- Strawberry banana bread
- Caramelized bananas
- Bananas Foster French toast
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas pack the mashed bananas down and allow to overflow slightly, about 2 bananas worth
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and Topping Ingredients
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- cinnamon sugar to taste
- 16 banana chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs.
- Mix in sour cream, flour, baking soda, and spices until just combined.
- Mix in vanilla and mashed bananas until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and Topping Instructions
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Mix in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time until fully combined.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and top each cupcake with a banana chip.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!