Most cookie press recipes (spritz cookies) are for basic butter cookies, perhaps with a little bit of spice. My recipe for caramelized banana spritz cookies is an exception. When you make the cookies, you first caramelize bananas in brown sugar and then you add them directly to the batter. You end up with a fabulous cross between a butter cookie and banana bread.
You can eat the cookies plain or turn them into sandwich cookies stuffed with extra caramelized banana, caramel, or both!
I’ve used a variety of cookie presses over the years and have learned that they are not all equal. Wilton sponsored this post and sent me their Cookie Pro Ultra II Cookie Press to try. It is by far the best I’ve used. While many other cookie presses have flimsy plastic parts, this cookie press is solidly built and doesn’t break as soon as you try to push a slightly thick dough through it. It is well-crafted, ergonomic, and a pleasure to use. I highly recommend it.
Wilton also sent along their Mega Cookie Pan. This is the biggest cookie pan I’ve ever used (15″ x 21″)! I actually feared that it might be too big to fit in my cabinet. I suppose that I could have measured, but I just winged it; it fit perfectly! This has become my new go-to cookie sheet. It’s so great for spritz cookies because you can just keep pumping out cookies without running out of room on the cookie sheet. Plus, using fewer cookie sheets means less cleanup!
Caramelized Banana Spritz Cookie Recipe
My caramelized banana spritz cookie recipe is adapted from Steven Kendrick’s recipe on The Family Cookbook Project.
Caramelized Banana Spritz Cookies
Caramelized Banana Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 3 ripe bananas
Spritz Cookie Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup caramelized bananas from above
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- caramel sauce to taste (optional)
Caramelized Banana Instructions
- Melt brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan on medium-high heat, stirring periodically.
- Once melted, add bananas. Continue to stir and cook until bananas fall apart in butter/sugar mixture and the mixture just begins to boil. Remove from heat.
Spritz Cookie Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and 3/4 cup of the caramelized bananas together. (Depending on the size of your bananas, you may have some caramelized bananas left. Save them to sandwich between two cookies!)
- Mix in the egg yolks, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the flour a little bit at a time until just combined.
- Load the cookie press with batter and press dough onto an UNGREASED cookie sheet (no parchment, no Silpat, no nothing).
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies just begin to get golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Optionally, create cookie sandwiches using extra caramelized bananas and caramel sauce.