When I think of honey cookies, I typically envision soft and spiced cookies. These honey cut-out cookies have the texture of crisp sugar cookies but offer a satisfying honey taste. They hold their shape perfectly during baking so you can use the honey cookies with your favorite cookie cutters.
You can decorate these honey cookies in so many fancy ways (I’ve got an example in an upcoming post) or keep them nice and simple with a dusting of colored sugar.
Honey Cookie Recipe
Simple Honey Cut-Out Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- colored sanding sugar to taste (optional)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat butter and honey until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour and salt until just combined.
- Divide dough into two parts. Wrap each section in plastic wrap and refrigerate for thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Remove first half of dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface to just over 1/4" thick.
- Cut dough into shapes with cookie cutters and optionally sprinkle the tops of the raw cookies with colored sanding sugar.
- Arrange cut out cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. The cookies will not rise very much so they can be placed close together on the sheet.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to brown.
- Cool cookies on a cooling rack.
- Roll out, cut, and bake the second half of the dough.
Did you ever wonder which type of honey to use for baking? I did! I wrote about in my post on baking with honey.