I’ve tackled honey buttercream frosting before and I have always been disappointed. I’m a honey-holic and I really want the honey flavor to shine. In the past, when I added powdered sugar to the frosting (needed to make the frosting stiff and pipe-able), the frosting would always reach an unpalatable level of sweetness. Today, I discovered the secret to making honey buttercream frosting! Honey buttercream frosting has finally met my honeyed desires and I’m considering adding it to my list of favorite frostings.
The Secret To Perfect Honey Buttercream Frosting
The secret to honey buttercream frosting is sour cream! Sour cream thickens the frosting without adding extra powdered sugar, cuts the sweetness, and adds a tangy zing. It’s a simple but powerful fix that I wish I had thought of years ago.
Below, you’ll find my honey buttercream frosting recipe. It goes with most any cupcake and is a particularly nice fit for any fall-flavored cupcake.
If You Like Baking with Honey, You’ll Also Like…
Honey Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup full-fat sour cream cold
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat butter for three minutes with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time until fully combined.
- Mix in honey and sour cream until combined.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.