Freezing Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Freezing Cupcakes

Freezing Cupcakes

While I don’t freeze cupcakes often (I don’t have a big freezer), I’ve had great success when I’ve done so.  The cupcakes aren’t quite as good as they were fresh, but they are pretty close.  If you are freezing cupcakes with whipped cream frosting, do not frost them until after removing from the freezer; other types of frosting can be frozen right on the cupcakes.  Also, be sure to store the cupcakes in an airtight container to avoid freezer burn.

10 Responses to Freezing Cupcakes

1. Anonymous June 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

Can you refreeze thawed, unfrosted cupcakes?

2. Anonymous June 20, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

You can do it, if they are plain, but they wouldn’t taste too good. The texture would be really poor.

3. Stef June 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

I posed your question on FB since I didn’t know the answer. Here’s another answer: “Hey Steph! It’s CB from I <3 Cuppycakes! Just found your blog page on FB. To answer your question. I have refroze thawed unfrosted cupcakes. It actually works pretty good. I personally don’t freeze cupcakes more than once but if you had to the integrity of the cupcake isn’t bad. HTH!”

4. Corey June 20, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

I work in cake in a grocery store (which, granted, are completely different than the cupcakes you’ll find on this blog or the ones that I make at home myself) and we freeze and refreeze most of our cakes and cupcakes. It doesn’t seem to have any affect on the grocery-store-quality cupcakes, though I don’t know how homemade ones would fare. I usually only freeze my cupcakes once and then take them out to thaw as I want to eat them (this prevents me from eating the entire batch at once!)

5. Haley June 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

I freeze and refreeze, but I don’t do it more then once and thats just a personal choice but you often can’t tell which ones are fresh and which ones were frozen. And only unfrosted.

6. nicole June 21, 2011 at 4:10 am #

I froze frosted cupcakes from my wedding in airtight containers so that me and the hubby could have them on our first anniversary. They came out tasting pretty darn good. I think it depends on the moisture content of the cake. Too moist of a cake will probably be prone to freezer burn. Too dry and it will crumble to bits.

7. Anonymous June 25, 2011 at 4:51 am #

Can you freeze frosting just in a freezer bag? What about whipped frosting?

8. SandiCakes July 17, 2012 at 8:53 am #

what sort of airtight container works best? Could i freeze cupcakes in like plastic ziploc containers? I have to make 100 for my aunts wedding next week and would like to at least make half this weekend…

9. alone August 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm #

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my wweb site thus i
    came to return the favor?.I’m trying to to find issues too improvee my website!I suppose its good enough
    to use a few of your ideas!!

1. How to Store Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - June 2, 2013

[...] you need to store your cupcakes for more than 3-4 days, most cupcakes can be frozen without a problem. Around the web – var _CI = _CI || {}; (function() { var script = [...]