Freezing Cupcakes

Freezing Cupcakes

Share:

Freezing Cupcakes

While I don’t freeze cupcakes often (I don’t have a big freezer), I’ve had great success when I’ve done so.  The cupcakes aren’t quite as good as they were fresh, but they are pretty close.  If you are freezing cupcakes with whipped cream frosting, do not frost them until after removing from the freezer; other types of frosting can be frozen right on the cupcakes.  Also, be sure to store the cupcakes in an airtight container to avoid freezer burn.

9 comments on “Freezing Cupcakes”

1. Anonymous says:

Can you refreeze thawed, unfrosted cupcakes?

2. Anonymous says:

You can do it, if they are plain, but they wouldn’t taste too good. The texture would be really poor.

3. Stef says:

I posed your question on FB since I didn’t know the answer. Here’s another answer: “Hey Steph! It’s CB from I <3 Cuppycakes! Just found your blog page on FB. To answer your question. I have refroze thawed unfrosted cupcakes. It actually works pretty good. I personally don’t freeze cupcakes more than once but if you had to the integrity of the cupcake isn’t bad. HTH!”

4. Corey says:

I work in cake in a grocery store (which, granted, are completely different than the cupcakes you’ll find on this blog or the ones that I make at home myself) and we freeze and refreeze most of our cakes and cupcakes. It doesn’t seem to have any affect on the grocery-store-quality cupcakes, though I don’t know how homemade ones would fare. I usually only freeze my cupcakes once and then take them out to thaw as I want to eat them (this prevents me from eating the entire batch at once!)

5. Haley says:

I freeze and refreeze, but I don’t do it more then once and thats just a personal choice but you often can’t tell which ones are fresh and which ones were frozen. And only unfrosted.

6. nicole says:

I froze frosted cupcakes from my wedding in airtight containers so that me and the hubby could have them on our first anniversary. They came out tasting pretty darn good. I think it depends on the moisture content of the cake. Too moist of a cake will probably be prone to freezer burn. Too dry and it will crumble to bits.

7. Anonymous says:

Can you freeze frosting just in a freezer bag? What about whipped frosting?

8. SandiCakes says:

what sort of airtight container works best? Could i freeze cupcakes in like plastic ziploc containers? I have to make 100 for my aunts wedding next week and would like to at least make half this weekend…

9. alone says:

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my wweb site thus i
    came to return the favor?.I’m trying to to find issues too improvee my website!I suppose its good enough
    to use a few of your ideas!!