Valentine’s Day Cupcakes – Root Beer Float Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Valentine’s Day Cupcakes – Root Beer Float Cupcakes

Valentine’s Day cupcakes could be any cupcake made with love for your Valentine. However, if you want an extra special Valentine’s Day cupcake, I’ve got a few ideas that I’ll be sharing in the next week to give you plenty of time to get ready to make them.

My first Valentine’s Day cupcake idea for this year is the root beer float cupcake. It’s the picture of romance from a simpler time.

I would strongly recommend that if you choose this cupcake, you accompany it with a cute homemade card cut out of red construction paper.

How to Make a Root Beer Float Cupcake

1. Follow the root beer cake instructions from my post on soda fountain cupcakes.
  2. Top the cupcakes with a vanilla bean buttercream frosting.
  3. Cut two bendy straws to a size you prefer and stick them in the cupcake.

Credit and Random Norman Rockwell Facts

The Norman Rockwell painting that I doctored above is actually from an Orange Crush ad, not a root beer ad. Best Norman Rockwell Art has a fascinating discussion about Rockwell’s work on the Orange Crush ads. Rockwell had a contract with Orange Crush to make 12 ads for them.

As noted on Best Norman Rockwell Art, Rockwell described his thoughts on the ads in his autobiography, My Adventures as an Illustrator:

By the time I got to the eleventh and twelfth picture I was dreaming about bottles of Orange Crush Soda Pop – long lines of them – quart size, regular size, marching down on me with all the labels distinctively readable. A stampede of bottles. I’d wake up in the middle of the night screaming, ORANGE CRUSH, ORANGE CRUSH!

I do hope that baking the Valentine’s Day root beer float cupcakes will not give you nightmares.

Last Year’s Valentine’s Day Cupcakes

For more Valentine’s Day cupcake ideas, check out the Valentine’s Day cupcakes I made last year:

4 Responses to Valentine’s Day Cupcakes – Root Beer Float Cupcakes

1. Sara February 3, 2009 at 8:54 am #

Aw, this is so cute! Looks delicious. :)

2. veggievixen February 3, 2009 at 9:39 am #

so cute! i never liked root beer but for some reason i was obsessed with those root beer dum-dum lollipops. so i would probably like this cupcake too :)

3. Kim February 3, 2009 at 9:39 am #

This looks like a great project for me and Maddy for Valentine’s Day!

4. Tami February 3, 2009 at 9:56 am #

very cute!

5. emerzim February 3, 2009 at 11:17 am #

Awesome! I made root beer cupcakes last summer, but I’ve never thought of them as a Valentine treat. Love it!

6. Elims23 February 3, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

I tried these cupcakes when you posted them last and I can say that they are very yummy! And everyone who tried them loved them!! Thanks for reminding me of them!! =)

7. toontz February 3, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

That is a really sweet idea! I love root beer, so I might give these a try.

8. Lisa February 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm #

Super cute cupcakes, Stef. Can’t wait to see what you else you come up with for Valentine’s Day!

9. Little Miss Cupcake February 4, 2009 at 9:37 am #

wow! these sound delicious and i love the doctored vintage ad. great idea!

10. lisaiscooking February 5, 2009 at 6:11 pm #

What a great idea! It looks and sounds delicious.

11. Hillary February 6, 2009 at 7:41 am #

Ooh root beer floats in cupcake form? How awesome. Thanks! Love the sexy V-day cupcakes too.

12. Kristen February 6, 2009 at 8:35 am #

Oh those are awesome! I love it!

13. Cynthia February 6, 2009 at 11:13 am #

How cute is this!

14. ossi February 6, 2009 at 11:42 am #

Tried something like this last year, but my daughter got to them before my wife :-(

15. pigpigscorner February 6, 2009 at 3:02 pm #

aww that’s so cute!

16. Julia February 6, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

Oh man those look soooo good!

17. Melissa February 8, 2009 at 7:42 pm #

That is too cute!!!

18. Grace February 9, 2009 at 8:18 am #

too cute, stef! i’m not crazy about root beer, but i suspect that i’d really enjoy it in cupcake form, especially if straws are involved. and lots of frosting.

19. Lindsey February 10, 2009 at 6:23 am #

Those look so cute. I’m a big fan of root beer floats… so I think I’ll definitely love them in cupcake form!

20. Aubrey February 10, 2009 at 4:56 pm #

that sounds so delicious! I adore Root Beer floats!

21. robin February 10, 2009 at 8:06 pm #

thank you! i’ve been planning a root beer valentines for my boyfriend for weeks and i wanted to make root beer float cupcakes for him so this is perfect!

22. SteelCityFlan February 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

I love that shot!

23. Stephmom September 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

I can’t get enough of these cupcakes. They are wonderful for dessert on a summer evening after a BBQ. These cupcakes have become a staple in my reciepe book. I can’t wait to try the next one!

24. Holly December 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

These were terrific! The straw coming out of the frosting really made them special too!

I couldn’t find root beer extract at any of my local stores, but a cake decorating store had root beer oil. I used 1 dram of the extract for a double recipe of the cupcakes. I also substituted real vanilla bean and vanilla extract for the vanilla paste and it had a great vanilla taste. I’ll definitely make these again.

1. Cupcakes & Pinterest: The Cupcake Project | Stirred to Inspire - April 22, 2013

[...] Stefani is the mastermind behind many crazy cupcake creations, like Piña Colada Cupcakes and Root Beer Float Cupcakes. I am currently working on reorganizing Stefani’s boards and trying to entice more followers [...]

2. Root Beer Float Cupcakes | The art of cupcake - May 21, 2013

[...] The thought of a root beer float cupcake may sound strange, but the end results are heavenly, especially when topped with vanilla icing for an extra bit of authenticity. The trick to making them taste like root beer lies in the root beer soda and extract that are in the batter. Yes, an actual cup of root beer goes into these! The rest of the ingredients sound more like cupcake batter — flour, salt and sugar, among others. Bake, frost and top with a straw to add to the appeal. Source Cupcake Project [...]