Valentine’s Day Cupcakes – Root Beer Float Cupcakes

Valentine’s Day Cupcakes – Root Beer Float Cupcakes

Share:

Valentine’s Day cupcakes could be any cupcake made with love for your Valentine. However, if you want an extra special Valentine’s Day cupcake, I’ve got a few ideas that I’ll be sharing in the next week to give you plenty of time to get ready to make them.

My first Valentine’s Day cupcake idea for this year is the root beer float cupcake. It’s the picture of romance from a simpler time.

I would strongly recommend that if you choose this cupcake, you accompany it with a cute homemade card cut out of red construction paper.

How to Make a Root Beer Float Cupcake

1. Follow the root beer cake instructions from my post on soda fountain cupcakes.
  2. Top the cupcakes with a vanilla bean buttercream frosting.
  3. Cut two bendy straws to a size you prefer and stick them in the cupcake.

Credit and Random Norman Rockwell Facts

The Norman Rockwell painting that I doctored above is actually from an Orange Crush ad, not a root beer ad. Best Norman Rockwell Art has a fascinating discussion about Rockwell’s work on the Orange Crush ads. Rockwell had a contract with Orange Crush to make 12 ads for them.

As noted on Best Norman Rockwell Art, Rockwell described his thoughts on the ads in his autobiography, My Adventures as an Illustrator:

By the time I got to the eleventh and twelfth picture I was dreaming about bottles of Orange Crush Soda Pop – long lines of them – quart size, regular size, marching down on me with all the labels distinctively readable. A stampede of bottles. I’d wake up in the middle of the night screaming, ORANGE CRUSH, ORANGE CRUSH!

I do hope that baking the Valentine’s Day root beer float cupcakes will not give you nightmares.

Last Year’s Valentine’s Day Cupcakes

For more Valentine’s Day cupcake ideas, check out the Valentine’s Day cupcakes I made last year:

24 comments on “Valentine’s Day Cupcakes – Root Beer Float Cupcakes”

1. Sara says:

Aw, this is so cute! Looks delicious. :)

2. veggievixen says:

so cute! i never liked root beer but for some reason i was obsessed with those root beer dum-dum lollipops. so i would probably like this cupcake too :)

3. Kim says:

This looks like a great project for me and Maddy for Valentine’s Day!

4. emerzim says:

Awesome! I made root beer cupcakes last summer, but I’ve never thought of them as a Valentine treat. Love it!

5. Elims23 says:

I tried these cupcakes when you posted them last and I can say that they are very yummy! And everyone who tried them loved them!! Thanks for reminding me of them!! =)

6. toontz says:

That is a really sweet idea! I love root beer, so I might give these a try.

7. Lisa says:

Super cute cupcakes, Stef. Can’t wait to see what you else you come up with for Valentine’s Day!

8. wow! these sound delicious and i love the doctored vintage ad. great idea!

9. What a great idea! It looks and sounds delicious.

10. Hillary says:

Ooh root beer floats in cupcake form? How awesome. Thanks! Love the sexy V-day cupcakes too.

11. Kristen says:

Oh those are awesome! I love it!

12. ossi says:

Tried something like this last year, but my daughter got to them before my wife :-(

13. aww that’s so cute!

14. Julia says:

Oh man those look soooo good!

15. Melissa says:

That is too cute!!!

16. Grace says:

too cute, stef! i’m not crazy about root beer, but i suspect that i’d really enjoy it in cupcake form, especially if straws are involved. and lots of frosting.

17. Lindsey says:

Those look so cute. I’m a big fan of root beer floats… so I think I’ll definitely love them in cupcake form!

18. Aubrey says:

that sounds so delicious! I adore Root Beer floats!

19. robin says:

thank you! i’ve been planning a root beer valentines for my boyfriend for weeks and i wanted to make root beer float cupcakes for him so this is perfect!

20. Stephmom says:

I can’t get enough of these cupcakes. They are wonderful for dessert on a summer evening after a BBQ. These cupcakes have become a staple in my reciepe book. I can’t wait to try the next one!

21. Holly says:

These were terrific! The straw coming out of the frosting really made them special too!

I couldn’t find root beer extract at any of my local stores, but a cake decorating store had root beer oil. I used 1 dram of the extract for a double recipe of the cupcakes. I also substituted real vanilla bean and vanilla extract for the vanilla paste and it had a great vanilla taste. I’ll definitely make these again.