Oreo Cookies Made From Scratch – Just Like the Ones From the Box, Only Better

Oreo Cookies Made From Scratch – Just Like the Ones From the Box, Only Better

cookies & brownies, chocolate, Oreo

Oreo cookies seem to be pervasive in this country. Oreo cookies showed up at every party while I was growing up, and they are still used in countless desserts.  My personal favorite is Oreo cheesecake (not to slight my Oreo cupcakes). Oreo cheesecake was in the dessert cycle in our cafeteria on Semester at Sea and I just couldn’t resist it!

Cookie Best Friends Necklace - Set of 2

Just the thought of an Oreo seems to bring a childlike grin to 80% of the population (the result of my informal study).

View on Amazon.com

I’ve always liked the Oreo, but since I could read and understand product labels, I’ve never been a fan of their ingredients.

For this month’s Taste & Create, I was again paired with Heaven is Chocolate, Cheese, and Carbs. Last time, I made her amazing naan recipe. This time, I had to try out the homemade oreo recipe.

How Were the Homemade Oreo Cookies?

The homemade Oreo cookies were just like the ones from the store – they even had that same, familiar smell. The only difference was that they were better.

Nielsen-Massey Vanillas 4-oz Pure Vanilla Bean Paste

I used some vanilla bean paste in the cream which made them all the more tasty, and the cookies were super fresh and crispy.

View on Amazon.com

Wilton 2304-1104 101 Piece Cookie Cutter Set

Also, I was able to make the cookies in a variety of sizes.  Since you are making them yourself, you could try making Oreo cookies in different shapes! Imagine the possibilities with creativity and a good set of cookie cutters – perhaps shamrock Oreos with green food coloring for St. Patrick’s Day!

View on Amazon.com

The Oreo Cookie Recipe

Retro Desserts: Totally Hip, Updated Classic Desserts from the '40s, '50s, '60s, and '70s

As I mentioned above, I got the Oreo cookie recipe from Laurie of Heaven is Chocolate, Cheese, and Carbs. Laurie got the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, who got the recipe from the book Retro Desserts by Wayne Brachman.

View on Amazon.com

Clearly, this recipe is a slut. I am reprinting it below with my notes.

Oreo Cookies Made From Scratch – Just Like the Ones From the Box, Only Better

Yield: Makes about 40 Oreo average sized Oreo cookies. It's hard for me to say exactly since I made a variety of sizes.

Oreo Cookies Made From Scratch – Just Like the Ones From the Box, Only Better

The Oreo Cookie Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1/2 C plus 2 T butter, room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • The Filling Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste instead.)

The Oreo Cookie Instructions
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar.
  2. Beat in the butter and the egg. Continue mixing until dough comes together in a mass.
  3. Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. (I found that while the dough wasn't sticky enough to roll, I could press it flat with my hands like the recipe said and then use cookie cutters to cut perfect circles. If you just care about the taste, then there is no need for the cookie cutters. Also, remember this is a chance to get creative and use all kinds of cookie cutters.)
  4. Bake for 9 minutes at 375 F. Set on a rack to cool.
  5. The Filling Instructions
  6. Place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla.
  7. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
  8. Making the Oreo Cookie
  9. To make a cookie, pipe teaspoon-sized blobs of cream into the center of a cookie using a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch round tip. (If you don't have a pastry bag, you could easily just spread the filling with a knife or use a Ziplock with the corner cut off as a pastry bag. I had a pastry bag, but I only had a star tip. The tip doesn't matter much.)
  10. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream. (If you do this really fast, it will look like you are spinning records. See above.)
  11. Eat the cookies using whatever method you prefer. I like the take apart, lick the cream, then eat the cookie method. Be sure to save some to make oreo cupcakes!

The Chocolate Wafers

The Filling

Special Thanks

Special thanks go to my mom who was my assistant baker for these Oreos. She was making a special visit to St. Louis so that she could touch my belly.

146 comments on “Oreo Cookies Made From Scratch – Just Like the Ones From the Box, Only Better”

1. toontz says:

“Clearly, this recipe is a slut.”

Lol, lol, lol!

Great recipe, thanks to all those who passed “her” around!

2. Elyse says:

Oh my gosh do these look good. I’m a total sucker for an Oreo, but like you, I never buy them because of the unhealthy ingredients. Now, I’ll just make my own!

3. Lanny says:

I was just talking to a friend about making our own oreo cookies, new there had to be a recipe out there somewhere, found one later that day but yours look much more like the real mccoy. Do you suppose that a cookie stamp would work for the wafer?

4. Stef says:

Lanny – I wondered about that too. I bet it would! You should try it and let me know!

5. Elims23 says:

These look great! I rarely buy Oreos because they are so EXPENSIVE! I might have to try out this recipe! But I see you have used vanilla paste in a bunch of your recent recipes. I have yet to come across it anywhere. Where are you finding it, and does it make the vanilla taste a lot more prominent?

6. Stef says:

Elims23 – It would work fine with regular vanilla extra. I just LOVE vanilla bean paste. It really punches up the vanilla flavor. You can find it at William Sonama or Sur La Table or you can buy it online.

7. ~~louise~~ says:

If these taste anything like they look, I’m addicted!

The Oreo is celebrating it’s birthday on March 6th. I must “borrow” this link for the post I did last year.

Thanks for sharing, Stef…

8. They are my favorite cookies but I actually prefer the Joe Joes from trader joes. This handmade version clearly smokes them all!!

9. pepsakoy says:

Looks scrumptious !

Thanks for the comment on my blog anyway..

10. Brilynn says:

I’ve been wanting to make my own oreos for ages now, these look great!

11. Lisa says:

Cool! I don’t really love Oreos plain but I do like Oreo Cheesecake and make one of my own that is worth sharing. But the men in my house love them and usually have a package of Oreos stashed somewhere. I never thought of making my own but you make it sound fun!

12. Hillary says:

Way cool. Love the Oreo squishing demo! :)

13. Jenny says:

I made these tonight… they are definitely trumping the store-bought Oreos. They do tend to spread, so they’re quite large — I only needed to eat one to feel satisfied (unlike Oreos). One thing that happened with mine, though, was that they were still fairly chewy in the middle — maybe they needed to cool overnight?

Only had vanilla extract; would love to try again with vanilla bean paste.

Thanks so much for the awesome recipe post!

14. Stef says:

Jenny – Hmmm. I didn’t have that problem at all. I wonder if maybe the dough wasn’t pressed thin enough? Glad you liked them though!

15. Blake says:

Thanks for the recipe! I am currently in the middle of putting them together.

I have one question though… There is a… buttery? aftertaste to my cookies. I followed all the right steps. Do you have any idea as to why they taste a bit off (but not enough to stop eating them!)

16. Stef says:

Blake – No idea. Sorry. If you had said the buttery aftertaste was in the filling that would make sense because the original recipe called for shortening, but I prefer real butter. But, the cookies didn’t seem to have any kind of buttery aftertaste to me.

17. The Williams says:

Delicious! We loved them SO much…I’ve got all of my family wanting to make them now….or wanting me to make them for their family. :) Thanks so much for the recipe!

18. Jescel says:

anything home-made is tons better.. and i would just love to have some of these.. yum!

19. Rene says:

Just made these – delish!

20. aishah says:

gonna make them 1st thing tomorrow morning!

21. Annie says:

totally stealing this for my christmas cookie swap this year. can. not. wait.

22. Samantha says:

What is the texture of the cookie part? I’ve made these several times and theyre DELICIOUS but the cookie itself is rather soft and crumbly, even if I bake longer than recommended. I’d like to make some to ship but afraid of them crumbling.

23. Stef says:

Samantha – Don’t remember them being so soft. Did you try rolling them a bit thinner? If you pack them in a tupperware between sheets of waxed paper, they should probably ship just fine.

24. Meseidy says:

I made these cookies last night. What kind of texture should the cookies have? They were good but the cookie came out really crisp and brittle. Like sugar crisp as opposed to a crisp cookie. They spread out really, really thin and did not look as thick and your cookies. I think I followed the recipe correctly any clue?

25. Stef says:

Meseidy – Hmm.. I’m at a loss here. Did you see Samantha’s comment where she said they were too soft? Maybe you guys need to talk and come up with a happy medium. It’s hard for me to say what might have gone wrong.

26. Jamieanne says:

I’ve been wanting to make homemade Oreos for a while and was about to today and realized I was out of Dutch-process cocoa – Smitten Kitchen’s recipe uses this. I noticed your recipe just says “unsweetened cocoa”, which I have on hand, so I just wanted to clarify that you used regular unsweetened cocoa instead of Dutch-process and they still turned out fine… Thanks! :)

27. Stef says:

Jamie – Yeah, I just used unsweetened cocoa powder and it worked fine. Good luck!

28. Jen says:

These are great. I originally found them on SmittenKitten’s page. A couple things I do different, for anyone who is interested: I use all butter for the frosting. I’ve never tried it with butter/shortening so I can’t really comment how good or bad it is, but the all-butter is really good. I also don’t use 2 whole cups of powdered sugar in the frosting. Closer to 1.5c and it’s still plenty sweet. I made these for July 4th and put mint extract in the frosting (as well as vanilla) and they turned out great. Other flavors would probably be good too (I’m thinking almond!) Also, I made a pie crust out of these by crushing approx. 1 recipe worth of cookies in a food processor with 6tbs melted butter and pressing it into a pie plate. Baked at 375F for about 10 minutes. It puffed up a little on me, so next time I’ll try blind baking the crust with parchment paper and beans. Anyway, after the crust was cooled, I filled it with homemade chocolate pudding and topped with peppermint whipped cream. It was divine! A great way to make homemade oreo pie crusts.

29. Stef says:

Jen – It’s funny, when I read your comment I was confused because I was sure that I also used all butter. I never use shortening. Then, I checked the recipe and I see that I wrote it with the shortening. I definitely should have mentioned that I also opted for all butter. Great idea with the pie crust too! Thanks for sharing.

30. Marilyn says:

This recipe is missing an ingredient. It should call for a 6′, big, strong man to hold me down so that I won’t eat all of the cookies before I get to make the filling.

Seriously though, has anyone tried double baking the cookies to make them crispier? I have one pan out (half a pan, now) and they’re pretty soft and gooey. I’m thinking about putting them back in for a bit.

31. Kazul says:

I am sad…it doesn’t make enough!!! Found the recipe through a friend and it is wunnerful! But, I only ended up with 15 cookie sands. Very sad. Especially when divided by 3. Thankfully, as a diabetic, I only got one. LOL.

32. Stef says:

Kazul – I wonder if you made yours particularly big. Sorry that it didn’t make enough for you.

33. Kazul says:

Stef…didn’t matter, my son loved them. Said they were nice that they weren’t like the regular ‘bite’ size oreos, these one were cookie size!lolol!

34. Mandy says:

I made these this afternoon and they are excellent! Thanks!

35. jenn says:

Hi, I’m from Germany and I just love your site with all those great recipes! I just have a problem with figuring out the American scale unit. I don’t know if that is a typo, but why is the c after the ingredients a capital letter, is it a bigger cup? :D I would love to make the cookies but since I don’t know how much I need to put in there, I am kind of lost :)
    thanks in advance.

36. Stef says:

C is just for cups. There is no big and small cup. :) You can use this site http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm to convert to metric.

37. jenn says:

thanks Stef!
    looking forward to baking these :)

38. lillubelle says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe. My son has major food allergy issue. He’s been begging to try the Oreos. Now, I can make these for him without the harmful ingredients.

39. lillubelle says:

40. Anonymous says:

I made these last night. They came out soft but hardened up overnight. They are really delicious but NOT Oreos! The oreo cookie is not sweet and has a firmer texture. This cookie is better as a reverse chocolate chip cookie — just add white chocolate chips. I am still looking for a real Oreo cookie recipe. Anyone have one?

41. Anonymous says:

Here’s the BIG secret to real Oreo/Hydrox cookies:

King Arthur sells these in 1lb bags on their web site.

42. I just made the cookies… They don’t really taste like Oreos.. but they are awesome!! The cream is out of this world!! I left the cookies on the cookie sheet till cooled. This crisped them up perfectly. A friend of mine came over and tried a cookie she loved them and said they are like Whoopie Pies (native to Northern New England) but we’ll call them Cookie Pies.. Thanks for the recipe!!

43. Kyleeclipse says:

Delicious! I made these for cookie bags as Christmas presents for people, and they came out wonderful. Im sure everyone will love them, too!

44. Anonymous says:

I have a lot of bitter chocolate lying around. Can I substitute it for the cocoa? If so, how?

45. Anonymous says:

This is an awesome recipe. Thank you for posting it, Stef.

One thing I did, since I was short on time was I made the dough the night before and rolled it into a log wrapped in parchment in the fridge – then I just sliced the cookies and placed them on parchment/baking sheet. Super easy! They were a huge hit at the dinner I took them to. :)

I can’t wait to get some of the black cocoa that a poster recommended and try them again.

46. LibbyM says:

This recipe was really good! Since I can’t have soy anymore, I can’t eat most store bought snacks. I’m so glad I found this recipe! I can’t wait to make this again! I’m trying so hard not to eat them all before the kids come home from school!

47. Julie says:

Hello for the UK!

I love Oreos but they are really expensive over here so I thought I’d have a bash at your recipe. I’m very pleased with the result, thank you for posting this! :-)

I used a bit less than a whole cup of sugar which turned out well but I didn’t squish mine quite flat enough so there’s my excuse to make them again!

One question – will the filling make them go soft if they are not all eaten tonight?

48. Stef says:

Julie – They’ll be fine tomorrow. No worries.

49. Julie says:

I don’t think I can post a picture?

So here’s a link to a picture of my somewhat chunky oreos :-)

50. Kimberly says:

Excited to make these! They will be part of our dessert buffet at our wedding reception! THanks so much!

51. Anonymous says:

These are awesome! I just finished making them! :) Super excited…I had never thought that I could make an oreo! but I can!!

52. Please Help says:

what is vegetable shortening? if i were to buy it what does it look like (bottle, packet, tin??) .. if not is there an alternative?

53. Sophie (Uk) says:

i WAS reli excited about makin these as i am a massive fan of Oreos. I baked them today and was very Dissapointed. The biscuits didnt taste like Oreos and the cream (middle bit) was far too buttery.

I didnt use vegetabke shortening because i didnt no what it was and couldnt find any in the shop.

54. Julie says:

@ Sophie (UK)
    Hi there, I’m in the UK also and I think that if you use a bit less sugar, I used about 3/4 of a cup, you’ll find the flavour comes through better.

Vegetable shortening is hard vegetable fat like you would use to make pastry, I used Trex as it has no hydrogenated fats in it and it’s white so the cream filling is much more authentic.

I also found some vanilla bean paste so I’m looking forward to using that.

I’m off to make another batch, this has become a big hit with my family and friends!

55. Sarah says:

This sounds excellent! I’m excited to try it. Two questions: Do you usually cool them on the cookie sheet or do you take them off to cool on the rack? Also, I’m thinking they would be great with a pumpkin-spice filling; do you have a favorite for this? Thanks again!

56. Stef says:

Sarah – I cool them on the rack. Love the idea of a pumpkin filling! Yum! Ice cream would also work well!

57. Anonymous says:

i don’t have vegetable shortening so what else can i use?

58. Stef says:

Anon – Just use butter – you’ll be fine.

59. kc says:

sounds sooo yummy….my reason for not eating oreos is to avoid partially hydrogenated fats…I might try a cream cheese base filling instead of butter/shortening..

60. Anonymous says:

I did a couple of things different. I made the oreo dough, but instead of cutting circles, I just flattened the dough on a cookie sheet, so it covered almost the whole cookie sheet. When I baked it, I messed up the timer on the oven, so I was unsure how long it had cooked. I took it out when the edges were getting super crisp. It was soft in the middle so it tasted more like a chewy brownie than a crisp oreo. But it was the best brownie I’ve ever made or had! I didn’t think the filling was necessary, so I just bought some Redi Whip and used that instead. Since the canned whipped cream is mostly air, I think it saves a lot of calories compared to the filling. Shortening is super artery clogger! I’ve made many brownie recipes from scratch and always preferred the box mix from the store. But this brownie beats them all! The chocolate I used was super expensive, it’s organic. Really really good.

61. Blue Morpho says:

mine spread quite a bit when I followed the recipe. Thank goodness for batch testing!

I added more flour to my second batch, and stuck with smaller circles anticipating the spread. They’re in the oven right now and looking much better.

I also noticed mine were’t chocolatey – and had that crisp/sugarcookie texture.. almost like if they were a brandy snap basket. I added more chocolate and a dash of milk for my 3rd batch, we’ll see how it goes.

62. Rayrina says:

These were FANTASTIC! My boys and I loved them! I cut my cookies too thick, so they were more like brownies, and I ended up with a load of extra frosting, but since this batch disappeared so quickly, I’ll have a use for the leftovers! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I’ll be using it again in the future!

63. Food Lover says:

I’m really an Oreo addict, have to try these at home, thanks a million :)

64. The dough was very crumbly, but I added water as if I was making pie crust, just a dash at a time until it came out rollable. Ended up adding approximately 3 tsp, which oddly enough is what I end up adding to pie crust dough :) I rolled the dough between waxed paper, chilled it for about 15 minutes in the fridge, and whala! The cookies turned out excellent and the filling scrumptious! especially the extra frosting. I could have made double stuff. Next time, I’m going to make the dough with peppermint and chocolate coat them for some thin mints when they’re not available from the girl scouts :)

65. Anonymous says:

Thank you Stef for this recipe. I’m going to try it out for my son’s birthday party. I want to make a green color cookie so would I still use the cocoa and then add the green coloring or should I skip the cocoa altogether. Just wondering if you’ve tried the shamrock idea you mentioned. Thank you a bunch!

66. Stef says:

Anon – I never did it, but I would suggest keeping the cookie brown colored and making the filling green. You’ll need much less food coloring to color vanilla filling than chocolate cookie. If you do want to color the cookie, I would definitely still keep the cocoa, but then also add a LOT of coloring.

67. Vik says:

Just used this recipe. Not too shabby I have to say, but I don’t think these quite do it. The cream filling is most definitely an order of magnitude superior to the standard Oreo filling, however, the cookie itself does not quite capture that unique cookie taste that make Oreo what it is. Many mistakenly think the cream filling is what makes an Oreo, but its definitely the cookie. That’s why they use those Oreo cookie crumbles on all sorts of things, like milk shakes, ice cream toppings, cakes, and all sorts of things. The cookie in this recipe is definitely decent, and tastes good, but its also definitely missing something that gives it that Oreo taste.

Of course, I’ll not speak to the healthiness comparison between the cookies, as I am sure these are over all better for you considering the ingredients, but I’m of the school If you are going to eat dessert, eat dessert. I don’t compromise on dessert.

The cream is so superior though, that it makes me want to find a box of Oreo cookies with NO cream, and use this cream on them. THAT would be the ultimate!

68. CJ says:

These are AWESOME! I even altered the recipe a little to make them gluten-free (used white rice flour) and lactose-free (used Earth Balance spread instead of butter) and they are AMAZING. Perhaps some of the best cookies I’ve ever had and VERY easy to make. I also opted to not use shortening and used butter (Earth Balance) instead. I made them Valentine’s Day theme and added food coloring to the filling. These are a huge hit!

69. Anonymous says:

I made these last night and they were so delish and super easy..thank you

70. Anonymous says:

Made these today – the best! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I was able to get 32 sandwich cookies – rolled dough into balls, smooshed with bottom of glass, used round cookie cutter to make uniform pieces. Kids are loving them :)

Really enjoy your site, so glad I stumbled upon it. You’ve inspired me to get back in the kitchen!

Michelle in Michigan

71. Julia says:

I noticed a lot of people commented that the cookies spread out too much. Maybe you are at a higher altitude? I recently moved from sea level to 7500 feet and I have to add flour to all my cookie recipes to keep them from ending up flat, flat, flat. I would give better instructions on how to fix cookies for high altitude, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

72. SJ says:

Hey Stef, dying to try these, just one prob…there is a little t and a big T in the ingredients for the cookie?? Is the little t for teaspoon and the big T for tablespoon or are they all the same? Please answer soon, really wanna try these tonight! thx..

73. Stef says:

t = teaspoon
    T = tablespoon

74. SJ says:

thanks! XD

75. SJ says:

Yum! thanks soo much for the recipe, my brothers scoffed them down…they taste exactly like the original oreo! However, the texture was not like the original oreo, it was more of a biscotti texture, whereas the original oreo has more of a cookie texture…anybody got any idea how to make them like the original oreo?? This recipe is a killer, by the way, Stef. I made them all mini oreos with a fruit corer as the cookie cutter and they turned out awesome!

76. Dea says:

Hi Stef,

I just made these and they came out excellent! Thank you for another amazing recipe! The flavor and consistency of the cookies were perfect. The filling was very good, but not outstanding. I used the shortening instead of all butter because I only read your comment about it after I had bought the shortening just for this, so I decided to use it. Next time I will try only the butter.
    Usually I only make half batches of any new baking recipe to see how it comes out and if I can get it right, but this time I just went for the full amount, as I was very happy with the Ritz recipe, and wasn’t disappointed. You’re the best!! :D

77. Anonymous says:

Hi, I was just wondering if these can be frozen so I can send them to my husband?
    Thanks Monica

78. Stef says:

Monica – Sure! I don’t see why not!

79. Anonymous says:

That’s great. I guess my biggest concern was the egg and butter used. How well will these keep if frozen and then shipped far away? And once they are thawed, how long do they keep, not that my husband will keep these sitting around long ;). They look so good and he loves chocolate.

80. Lizme says:

This is the third site that I have found this slut of a recipe on! I am having some trouble with it, though. I baked them at 375 for 9 minutes. Well, I was going to bake them for 9 minutes but after 6 minutes my apartment filled with a horrible burning smell. I opened the oven to find boiling cookies. It released a ton of smoke into my apartment, and the cookies were burned to a crisp. I have never had problems with my oven so I don’t think that it was not calibrated. The cookies also spread and flattened quite a bit. But they are rock hard. I ate one to try but it was bad. The small amount of dough I had remaining, I baked in the toaster oven at 350. These came out good, but never hardened up to the crispiness of a store-bought oreo. Where did I go wrong?

81. Stef says:

Lizme – I have no idea what would have caused that. I’m wondering if maybe you are making them too thin?

82. Emily says:

I found this recipe early this morning and HAD to make it. I didn’t have any shortening for the creme so I substituted butter. Very tasty. Yes, my children ate Oreos for breakfast =) Great recipe

83. Heather says:

This is a wonderful recipe. I had to alter it a bit as my son is allergic to wheat, dairy and corn but the cookies themselves came out spot on! I need to work on the cream but (soy-free butter leaves an odd flavor) my son seams to love it, though :)

84. Anonymous says:

How many caloris are in the cookies

85. Megan says:

I just finished making these!!! Mine turned out real soft but Im waiting till tonight to see if the air firms them up some. I love them!!! Thank you for posting this! Do you mind if I post it on my blog and link back to you?

86. Anonymous says:

Just finished making these!! OHHHHH! SOOOO GOOD!! Definitely will be making again! Mine turned out perfectly crisp, but not too crisp. Smelled just like the oreos you buy in the store, just like you said! SUPER sweet, so one was totally satisfying. 3/4 of the way thru cutting them out (into hearts:) I switched to a smaller heart, which is a little more time consuming, but worth it b/c the cookies really are SO rich! Can’t wait to test them out on the family tomorrow:) Thanks for the recipe!

87. Stef says:

Megan – Of course not, happy posting! Glad you liked it!

88. Lizzy says:

haven’t tried yet but I have a ice cream sandwixh maker- hot press for the cookies- gonna try it in this!!!

89. cate says:

I had the hardest time with these cookies. :[
    The dough was fantastic, but cooked, the first three batches burnt, I even tried different thicknesses, adding water, they just did not come out. I didn’t really even need to make the filling, no cookies worth eating. :/
    They all flattened out. I’d love to try again sometime when I’m less frustrated with it haha, maybe add more flour or something, definitely very sad about this though.

90. Yolanda says:

I can’t believe Oreos can be made at home. I’ve been reading through the recipe and I have seen that one of the ingredients needed for the fillin is vegetable shortening.

I live in Spain, and this ingredient is not usual in our kitchens, so it is difficult to be found in stores, unless it is imported or bought in the internet. What I’d like to know is whether it can be susbstituted by another similar ingredient. Maybe butter? And what about the quantity? The same?

I’ll be waiting for your response.

And let me tell you that you have a lovely blog.

91. nyx says:

I made these last night after finding this site! I also read an article on the ‘Calorie Counter” website..called -sweet and skinny- that mentioned subbing Light Cream Cheese for half the butter…I did this in both the cookie and icing. They turned out great! the cookie part is soft and I kinda like that better than crisp and crumbly! thanks for this recipe!

92. Anonymous says:

When I make these oreo’s I use double the eggs. The cookies turn out so amazing! Everyone I have made these cookies for have absolutely fallen in love with them! I also use butter flavored crisco instead of butter =)

93. Anonymous says:

You think I could use gluten free flour in this recipe?

94. Stef says:

Anon – You could try gluten-free flour, but the texture would likely be off.

95. Words_by_Jess says:

Hello Stef! THANK YOU for sharing your baking excursions with, it appears, the world.
    I am gluten intolorent and consider it a joyous challenge to convert recipes into food I, and others like me, can eat.
    The Biscoff recipes is really easy to use Gluten free flour blends. I made it last week and didn’t realize until the next day why they were just a bit off- I used only 1/4 t cinnamon :-) So I will read more carefully from now on. They were still really good though and no issues with a grainy finished product.
    I took a pass at the Oreo recipe tonight (slut pun intended). It’s pretty good, thought I would suggest to others making it with gluten free flours that they not use rice flour. I used a G.F. blend from Arrowwood Farms and the cookies are a bit grainy. I sifted the flour twice before using so I think it’s just the rice grain. C’est la vie!
    They were still really tasty and the closest thing to an Oreo I’ve eated in over a year. I added cocoa to the center filling- SO de-lish!
    Thanks again for sharing your trials, victories, recipes and life.

96. Stef says:

Words-by-Jess – Thanks for sharing your gluten-free tips! I’d be curious to hear how gluten-free flour works with the Ultimate Vanilla cupcake recipe. I haven’t tried it yet. Let me know if you ever give it a go.

97. I think like most other comments, I tried this recipe, and it’s AMAZING! It’s SO easy to use and I’m really looking forward to posting it on my blog :)

98. chi chi del says:

I made these last night….amazing! So so good. Much better than the box version. I highly recommend these. And they are fun to make!

99. Tammy says:

Hi Stef,

I just found your site today. I was doing a search on how to make homemade graham crackers and got your site. I also printed out the Ritz crackers recipe also!

I love Oreo, my favorite is the peanut butter ones. What would you suggest to make the peanut butter filling? Like maybe a cup of peanut butter?

I will try and make it with peanut butter and let you know how it goes.

I am so happy I found your site!

100. Anonymous says:

1 word… “AWESOME”

101. Anonymous says:

I just finished making these and they’re wonderful! I used Hershey’s dark cocoa and it was fabulous. The only thing I did different was form the dough into a roll and slice it. I think if you rolled the dough, refrigerated it and then sliced them; that would work really well too. I sliced mine thinner than the pictures here and baked them for 12-14 mins. They turned our perfect. This recipe is a keeper.

102. Words-by-jess says:

Hi Steph! I tried the Ultimate Vanilla cupcake recipe with Gluten-free flours and they turned out amazingly delicious. I used pre-made GF flour blend from Hodgson Mill and substututed 1/4 C of the flour with tapioca starch so that it would be more like cake flour. My neice is allergic to egg-whites, so I also subbed 5 t applesauce + 1/4 t baking powder for the eggs. The centers of the cupcakes did fall, but with the frosting piped into the centers, no one really noticed or cared. As a chocolate lover, I was surprised by how incredibly addicting the cupcakes were. I won’t abandon with first love, but if Vanilla wants to fight for my affections, that is the way into my heart. Also, I made the maple butter pecan cupcakes with a 1 to 1 sub of GF flours and they turned out extremely tasty as well. A few friends didn’t believe me that they were gluten free. So I’d call it a success! :-)

103. LauraAnn says:

Loved this recipe! I made these as a base for oreo cupcakes because I can’t use store bought cookies because of a child with a soy allergy. This recipe was quick easy and delicious. Looking at your other recipes, I am So glad I stumbled onto your site!

104. It's just me says:

Just guessing… depending on where you live is it possible that the scale of your oven says C and the recipe is in F.

I once set my oven on 350 F instead of 350 C for some recipe and it took forever to bake.

105. It's just me says:

Read more: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/02/oreo-cookies-made-from-scratch-just.html#ixzz1q9s04Rmp

106. Anonymous says:

Hi there! Going to try them out tomorrow! Thank you so much for the recipe!! One Question though, how long can I eat them, i mean how many days are they fresh? :)

107. I’ve found your blog before, but I’ve never left a comment. Today, I thought to myself, “I should leave a comment.” So here’s my comment! Continue with the awesome work! I enjoy your articles and would hate to see them end.

108. Spot up with this write-up, I seriously believe this site needs a great deal more consideration. I’ll oftimes be once more to learn to read additional, thanks for the information.

109. Anonymous says:

Omgsh!!! Just made them and they ROCK!!! I added about 1/4 cup pwdr sugar to the filling though, Just to thiken it up. And they are awesome, gonna save this recipe for sure!

110. Hello! I just would want to offer a huge thumbs up for your fantastic info you could have here for this post. We have been coming back to your website for further soon.

111. Anonymous says:

My friend and I made these and they were terrific, even better than the store bought oreos. We added sprinkles into the buttercream and even made oreo cupcakes with our homemade oreos. Friday well spent? I think so. -Lis

112. Rachel says:

Made these bad boys last night for my soon-to-be hubby. He had to chug barium for a CT scan so I created some goodies to get the taste out of his mouth after the test. Needless to say, there are very few of these left.
    A few tips: I mashed down the dough ON the actually cookie sheet, then pressed a shot glass into it and removed the dough around it. This ensured that my cookies were all the same size and around the same thickness. They expanded a touch, but not too much, and they were crisp and delicious. I came out with around 42 cookie halves.

113. Anonymous says:

My son wants a giant homemade oreo for his bday. I’m trying today and am going to try cooking it on a pizza pan. just wondering if you have any suggestions on how to get this to spread that big. Also if this does turn out and the cookies are crispie, will I be able to cut with a knife?
    Thanks, Steph

114. Anonymous says:

If cookies spread out too much when made with butter instead of shortening, try refrigerating the dough after mixing and before baking. Keeping it cold will retard the spread.

115. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each every tips of your post are awesome.

116. Noor333 says:

Hey is there any substitute you can use for the vegetable shortening?

117. Amy says:

Use coconut oil instead of vegetable shortening -which is only one molecule from plastic!

118. Anonymous says:

I found these very cake-y, they spread alot and seemed more cookie than biscuit-y Oreo-like…
    Is there something I did wrong??
    They tasted great though, so will definately make them again and again!!! xxx

119. Anonymous says:

These are absolutely awesome. :) Now, I just made the cookies and used some leftover icing i had from making cupcakes yesterday, but I couldn’t get enough of the cookies. I’m sure if I used the filling, I’d be in Oreo heaven. <3

120. cookies says:

Howdy! This blog post could not be written any better!
    Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I most certainly will forward this information to him.
    Pretty sure he’ll have a very good read. I appreciate you for sharing!

121. Elle says:

Those oreos look amazing! I need to try them soon! You did GREAT!

122. Maeve says:

If I were to substitute butter for shorterning how much butter would I need to use, thanks these look delicous :)

123. Suhani says:

Can these be made eggless? In that case what can be used in place of egg?

124. Joybee says:

This is so great. I was just thinking about if homemade oreos were possible and I just saw this reblogged on Tumbler. I’m pinning this.

125. May says:

Excuse me for my ignorance.. but.. the C means a cup?
    I look forward to do this!!

126. Michelle says:

Just made these cookies today. My almost 6 y.o. son helped. When I took the first bite, there was this low grunt that escaped my lips in an Mmm sound. I used less sugar in the cookie and filling and less butter in the filling but used the shortening as called for. The recipe made 26 finished cookies for me. I recommend anyone try it at least once. The cookies are good.

127. Valerie says:

Theses were wonderful! I had 44 finished cookies. To make things easier, I used a mixer. Started with the butter and egg, then added the dry ingredients. I cut the dough into 4 parts to make sure I was doing a consistent thickness for the cookies. I also chilled the cut cookies before putting them in the oven. I had a lot of the cream center left over, so you can be rather generous as to the amount you put in the cookies.

128. I got this site from my pal who informed me regarding this website and at the moment this time
    I am visiting this site and reading very informative articles or reviews at this time.

129. This web page is certainly alternatively helpful considering that I am along with the second developing an online floral internet site even with the fact that I am only commencing out as a result it is truly relatively little, nothing by any means similar to this net website. Can internet site url to some from the posts ideal here because they are fairly. Many thanks considerably. Zoey Olsen

130. Connie says:

I’ve been baking for more than 20 years, and usually if a recipe doesn’t work, I can get to the bottom of it. But, for the life of me, I can’t figure out what I did wrong to make these cookies turn out like a flat, burnt crisp on the pan. I’ve double-checked the measurements… and I just don’t know. They all spread out, and I couldn’t salvage one. It was awful. The only conclusion I can come to is it was just a bad recipe. But after reading other reviews, I’m surprised more people didn’t have the same problems. I HATE when recipes don’t turn out. My poor son was looking forward to them..

131. This is a topic which is close to my heart…
    Many thanks! Exactly where are your contact details though?

132. Katie says:

Made these yesterday, and while I would say that these are delicious cookies, they aren’t really Oreos. My family and I agree that the filling is REALLY close to the real thing, but the cookie part isn’t. It’s soft and chewy, like a bakery-made sugar or molasses cookie; it’s not crunchy or hard at all. My first sign of trouble was when I made the dough: it never formed into a mass. I used a 1 tablespoon scoop to make each cookie with the same amount of dough, plopped them onto my parchment-lined cookie sheet, then pressed them a little bit to flatten them. The finished cookies were definitely bigger than a traditional Oreo, so I only got I think 22 completed “sandwiches”. I made the filling as stated originally (i.e. equal parts butter and vegetable shortening – aka Crisco). I might try using this recipe as-is for a crust, but it’ll need some tweaking to get closer to the real thing. Oh darn, I have to make more cookies! I wonder if dark cocoa powder will help… :P

133. Aubrey says:

Thanks for the post!!!!! Making them right now………..

134. Addy says:

Just made these cookies for a cookie drive. Had no problems at all. The texture is exactly like Oreos. However, they do not taste the same. The filling tastes the same though. With that said, I am not a big fan of Oreos but these ones I like. My hubby liked them too and that’s a lot to say for a person who doesn’t like sweets at all.

135. Marina says:

Sooo i dont have coco powder what shall i use??

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment