Imagine the look of delight on someone’s face when they break open an Easter cupcake and find a bunny inside! These Easter cupcakes – or super fun spring cupcakes – will brighten anyone’s day.
The idea for these hidden bunny Easter cupcakes started with a book.
I introduced all of you to Amanda earlier this year when she wrote a guest post on Cupcake Project about Ultimate Vanilla Cake. Amanda is wildly talented and you will be blown away by the pages and pages of adorable ideas in her book. Have a peek:
Amanda and I will meet in person for the first time in early April at a very special King Arthur Flour event (more on that in a later blog post) and I can’t wait!!
Although Amanda did not make these exact Easter cupcakes in her book, she shared the tools and techniques that made my cupcakes possible.
Here’s the trick to Easter cupcakes with a surprise bunny inside:
True, this looks nothing like a bunny. We have to think in three dimensions. If you take this ball with a bowl on top of it and slice it down the middle, you end up with a bunny.
The bunny is made of what Amanda calls “cake mixture.” It’s a combination of frosting and cake.
To make the surprise bunny inside, fill cupcake liners just 1/3 full with your cupcake batter. Then, place the ball and bowl shape exactly in the middle of the batter. As you see above, it should rise slightly over the batter.
Place a small dollop of batter into the bowl you made. This ensures that there will be yellow cake between the bunny’s ears.
I highly recommend that you do one or two test cupcakes to get the knack of this before baking all of the batter. It can take some tweaking to make the bunny the perfect size and to get the batter to rise just the right amount.
Easter Cupcakes With a Surprise Bunny Inside
Strawberry Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 16 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried strawberries finely ground in a food processor
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cake Mixture Ingredients
- 1 baked Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake follow Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake instructions, but just bake a single cupcake - reserve the rest of the batter for the bunny cupcakes
- 2 teaspoons strawberry frosting from above
- freeze-dried strawberries ground in a food processor as needed up to 1/2 ounce
Bunny Cake Ingredients
- Cake batter reserved from the cake mixture above
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy (about three minutes at high speed).
- Mix in powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Mix in strawberry powder and salt.
Cake Mixture Instructions
- Remove cupcake from the liner and break into crumbs.
- Mix crumbs with 2 teaspoons of the frosting until it forms a Play-Doh-like consistency.
- Mix in the strawberry powder until the cake mixture becomes a color that you like.
Bunny Cupcake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake batter. There should still be some batter left over.
- Rip off pieces of the cake mixture and sculpt into the shape illustrated in this post - a small ball with a bowl on top that is just big enough to rise slightly above the batter.
- Place the ball/bowl shape in the center of each filled cupcake liner.
- Fill each bowl with a small dollop of batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched. The cupcake batter should have risen enough to completely hide the bunnies.
- Remove cupcakes from the tin and set on the counter to cool.
- Pipe strawberry frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Serve with a knife and instructions to cut each cupcake open down the center. If people just bite quickly into the cupcakes, they will miss the surprise!