These key lime pie cupcakes are like upside-down key lime pies. The cake (the bottom part) is moist and intensely key lime-flavored (prepare to pucker your lips) and the frosting (the top part) is packed with crushed graham crackers (store-bought or homemade) so you feel like you’re eating a graham cracker crust on top of the cake.
What You’ll Need
Key Lime Pie Cupcake Recipe
Key Lime Pie Cupcakes – Upside-Down Key Lime Pies
- 1 1/2 C cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 C unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 C sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 C key lime juice
Graham Cracker Frosting Ingredients
- 1/4 C unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 C finely crushed graham crackers
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Mix eggs into butter/sugar, one at a time.
- Mix sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice into wet ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Divide evenly between 12 cupcake liners. Note: The batter will be very liquidy. This is normal.
- Bake at 350 F for thirty minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched lightly. The center will still be wet. It solidifies as it cools.
Graham Cracker Frosting Instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Note: You can add more if you prefer a stiffer consistency.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Fold in graham crackers.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Haven’t You Made Key Lime Pie Cupcakes Before?
I made key lime pie cupcakes back in ’08 and just like it’s a good idea to dust off your shelves every three years (oh, am I supposed to do that more often?), I decided that the recipe could use a little freshening. The original key lime pie cupcake recipe was a huge crowd pleaser, but I wasn’t happy with the graham flavor. I baked the graham crackers into the cake and you couldn’t really taste them.
The wrappers on these key lime pie cupcakes were a gift to me from cupcakewrappers.com. Aside from the fact that I adore the pattern, I LOVE that you can wash the wrappers and use them again and again! Why didn’t someone think of this before?