Healthy frosting (or at least healthier than buttercream or cream cheese frosting) that’s also tasty is possible! The secret is Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt frosting is just Greek yogurt, a little vanilla, and as much sugar as you’d like to get it to your desired sweetness. Greek yogurt frosting has a yogurt tang, but like many of the flavors at the FroYo (frozen yogurt) places popping up all over the country, the tang plus a little bit of sweetness works like a charm. Because Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt, it won’t drip off the side of the cupcake (much) as long as you don’t leave the frosting in the sun.
Although I wouldn’t use Greek yogurt frosting on every cupcake, it could be a nice option if you are trying to get into that vacation bikini and are able to convince yourself that a healthier frosting negates the cupcake’s calories.
Products Related to Greek Yogurt Frosting
Greek Yogurt Frosting Recipe
I got the recipe for the Greek Yogurt frosting from Peter at Souvlaki for the Soul. Peter used his frosting to top some banana muffins – mine topped strawberry banana cupcakes. Here is the recipe from Souvlaki for the Soul, reprinted with my notes.
Greek Yogurt Frosting
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt I used Stonyfield Farms
- A good splash of vanilla extract I used 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup powered sugar sifted - You could use a little more or less depending on how sweet you like your frosting.)
- Whisk all ingredients until they become a bit thick.
- Place in the fridge to thicken even more (at least 30 minutes).
- Spread on cupcakes.