Toasted Coconut Chips in Under 10 Minutes
Toasted coconut chips are relatively healthy, insanely delicious, and totally addictive. If you like the store-bought kind, you will love this easy homemade sweet and salty version using unsweetened flaked coconut.
On Amazon right now, it costs $2.26 an ounce for the Trader Joe’s chips (they are less in the store), $1.42 an ounce for Dang chips, and $0.26 per ounce for unsweetened flaked coconut. Just how hard could it be to toast and sweeten coconut myself?
I experimented with toasting coconut on the stovetop and in the oven, using different types of sugars, and at which stage to add the sugar.
In the end, I developed a recipe for toasted coconut with caramel and sea salt that tastes just like the Dang chips. Bonus: The whole thing is done in under 10 minutes! Get ready to get snacking!
Use unsweetened flaked coconut. This won’t work well with the sweetened shredded coconut. (If you have some time and a coconut, learn how to make your own in my post on desiccated coconut.)
The chips can quickly go from toasted to burnt in the oven, so be sure to keep your eye on them.
You can eat them immediately, and you will totally want to, but they will be crispier after they cool. They will last for several weeks in an airtight container.
While I make mine with sugar and salt, you can also experiment with other flavor options like:
- pumpkin pie spice
Toasted Coconut Chips
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Stir the sugar, water, and salt together until they combine to make a thick liquid.
- Pour the mixture over the coconut flakes and gently stir to coat the flakes.
- Spread the flakes out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake for 5 - 10 minutes. Check on the flakes regularly until they are lightly toasted. They can quickly go from toasted to burnt, so be sure to keep your eye on them.
- You can eat them immediately, but they will be more crispy after they cool.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!