How to Make Chocolate Cups - It's Shockingly Simple | Cupcake Project

How to Make a Chocolate Cup – It’s Shockingly Simple

Chocolate Cups

You can’t bake in chocolate cups, but once you learn how to make a chocolate cup, you’ll find yourself stuffing chocolate cups with peanut butter, filling them with candy, and using the chocolate cups for ice cream cupcakes (as did the winner of last year’s Ice Cream Cupcake Contest).  I also have a surprise use for the chocolate cups that I’ll be sharing in my next post.

Chocolate cups are shockingly simple to make.  In fact, making chocolate cups is a fun toddler activity.  To make them, you paint the inside of silicone cupcake liners with melted chocolate.  What toddler is going to say, “No,” to paint that you can eat?

Painting with chocolate

Myles was clearly jazzed about the task.

Making chocolate cups

His excitement didn’t show any signs of declining as we moved through the project.

Making Chocolate CupsThen again, I did catch him doing this:

Licking paintbrushBut, we were able to focus and get down to business to get the job done.

Making chocolate cups

As you can see from the photos, I chose to use a mix of white and dark chocolate for my cups.  But, of course, you can use whatever kind of chocolate you like.

Products Related to This Recipe

Chicago Metallic Baking Essentials Silicone Baking Cups, Set of 12

Silicone cupcake liners are much easier to work with than than paper one.  You'll be glad to have them around for other projects as well.

View on Amazon.com

Crayola 5ct Art and Craft Brush Set

Any cheap small paintbrush will work well.

View on Amazon.com

You’ll need tempered chocolate.  Here are some brands I love!

Callebaut Chocolate Callets (small disc) White 28.1% cacao 2 lbs

If you want the striped look, you'll need some white chocolate too!

View on Amazon.com

How to Make a Chocolate Cup

How to Make a Chocolate Cup

1. Paint a thin layer of chocolate onto the inside of each cupcake liner.
  2. Refrigerate the liners for ten minutes.
  3. Paint a second thin layer of chocolate on top of the first layer.
  4. Refrigerate the liners for another ten minutes.
  5. Carefully pop the chocolate cups out of the liners.

25 Responses to How to Make a Chocolate Cup – It’s Shockingly Simple

1. Amy April 30, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

Man, all I got was finger paint and Mr. Sketch markers when I was a kid… They might’ve smelled good, but they didn’t taste a thing like chocolate! Looks like a really fun and delicious afternoon!

2. Lucy May 1, 2013 at 5:33 am #

Oh my these look gorgeous and so easy to make, definitely going to try these out, they look so impressive!

Lucy Loves To Cook.

3. Karen May 1, 2013 at 9:17 am #

I cannot wait to try this!

4. Tracy {Pale Yellow} May 1, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Looks like you and the kiddo had a blast! These cups are so cute and easy!

5. Patce May 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

I have to try out this definitely! :-)

6. Rebecca May 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

Great Idea! With ice-cream season coming up I am sure I will make them soon ;)

7. Lokness @ The Missing Lokness May 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

This looks very easy. I love that you used different kind of chocolates. That looks really beautiful!

8. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen May 3, 2013 at 4:53 am #

These look so great – I’m definitely going to be trying these! Thanks so much for the idea!

9. Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon May 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

Pinning for easy and cuteness.

• Stef May 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks!

10. Kirk Aug May 7, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Myles is a lucky little guy! Perhaps, Jupiter and I should try this out.

11. Rasberrydanish May 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Tomorrow morning, I will be making these chocolate cups; I will fill them with white chocolate mixed with home made whipped heavy cream & vanilla paste. Can’t waint

12. cathy May 23, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Looks fabulous, can’t wait to try them and just in time for winter when people just want that taste of chocolate on a cold night, maybe stuff it with healthy berries and a touch of vanilla custard a different no cook dessert…

13. Ann @ PersnicketyBiscuit May 24, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Those pictures are hilarious – definitely looks like fun! Note to self: need silione cupcake liners because I’d love to try this.

14. Susan May 26, 2013 at 10:02 am #

Are they easy to remove fromt he cup cake holder? Can you use any paper cup cake hoder?

• Stef May 27, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

They are easy to remove with silicone. I don’t think they would be as easy with paper. Also, the paper wouldn’t hold its shape as well for the painting part.

• Madalene August 29, 2014 at 5:55 am #

I tried this and my chocolate cracked trying to take them out. Did I not make them thicki enough?

• Heather July 16, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

Paper would not work well, but the foil looking cups might work because they are not paper and chocolate will peel off foil easier than paper, but you’d still have to put the foil cups into a muffin tin so they keep their shape while they harden. My only concern is where to find tempered chocolate locally. Never heard of it before. Plus the chocolate must be GMO free or else I won’t eat it.

15. Leanne D. Martin June 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

How many does this recipe make?

16. Chun June 3, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

This info is worth everyone’s attention. How can I find out more?

17. losing weight helps August 29, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time
    I had spent for this info! Thanks!

1. Extreme Frosting Shots | Cupcake Project - May 2, 2013

[...] extreme frosting shots start with an edible chocolate cup filled with your favorite kind of [...]

2. DIY Chocolate Cups | Do It And How - May 17, 2013

[...] See more HERE – especially some really cute photos! [...]

3. How To Make Chocolate Cups | - June 3, 2013

[...] How To Make Chocolate Cups [...]

4. Fresh Baked | How to Make Chocolate Cups – It’s Shockingly Simple | Cupcake Project - February 12, 2014

[...] You can’t bake in chocolate cups, but once you learn how to make a chocolate cup, you’ll find yourself stuffing chocolate cups with peanut butter, filling tRecipe link:http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2013/04/how-to-make-a-chocolate-cup-its-shockingly-simple.html#rrwKrqB… [...]