Greek Yogurt Frosting – A Healthy Frosting | Cupcake Project

Greek Yogurt Frosting – A Healthy Frosting

Greek yogurt frosting might be just the thing to top your light, summery cupcakes. Because Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt, it doesn’t drip off the side of the cupcake (much) as long as you don’t leave the frosting in the sun.

Greek yogurt frosting has a yogurt tang, but like many of the flavors at the FroYo (frozen yogurt) places popping up all over the country, the tang plus a little bit of sweetness works like a charm.

Greek yogurt frosting is obviously healthier than buttercream or cream cheese frostings and although I wouldn’t use it on every cupcake, it could be a nice option if you are trying to get into that summer bikini and are able to convince yourself that a healthier frosting negates the cupcake’s calories.

Products Related to Greek Yogurt Frosting

Oikos Organic Plain Greek Yogurt, 5.3 Ounce -- 12 per case.

This was the yogurt that I used for this frosting.  I received it compliments of Stonyfield Farms. Aside from working perfectly for frosting, the yogurt is great for eating all on its own with some fresh fruit and a little sugar.

View on Amazon.com

Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker

If you'd like, you can try your hand at making your own yogurt.  I've done so using this yogurt maker.  It's a fairly simple process and fun to do.

View on Amazon.com

Norpro Grip-EZ 1713 Silicone Whisk

You don't need a fancy mixer to make this frosting, just a good whisk.

View on Amazon.com

Greek Yogurt Frosting Recipe

I got the recipe for the Greek Yogurt frosting from Peter at Souvlaki for the Soul. Peter used his frosting to top some banana muffins – mine topped strawberry banana cupcakes.  Here is the recipe from Souvlaki for the Soul, reprinted with my notes.

Greek Yogurt Frosting – A Healthy Frosting

Greek Yogurt Frosting – A Healthy Frosting

• 1 C Greek yogurt (I used Stonyfield Farms)
  • A good splash of vanilla extract (I used 1 t)
  • 1/2 C powered sugar, sifted

1. Whisk all ingredients until they become a bit thick.
  2. Place in the fridge to thicken even more (at least 30 minutes).
  3. Spread on cupcakes.

72 Responses to Greek Yogurt Frosting – A Healthy Frosting

1. veggievixen May 25, 2009 at 12:49 pm #

yum, what a great idea! sounds super delicious.

2. Martha May 25, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

yum!

3. Amanda May 25, 2009 at 6:12 pm #

This sounds great. I’m going to sneak it onto some cupcakes see if the family notices anything. These should probably be refrigerated, right?

4. Stef May 25, 2009 at 7:24 pm #

Yes, I would definitely keep them refrigerated.

5. Peter G May 25, 2009 at 11:49 pm #

Thanks for the shout out! These were fun and very tasty…best to consume immediately!

6. NikiTheo May 26, 2009 at 4:15 am #

Awesome! I saw this on Peter’s blog too. I have been wanting to try it, but haven’t made cupcakes in a while. Thanks for reminding me! :)

7. Ivy May 26, 2009 at 9:02 am #

I love Greek yogurt for everything! Especially for making homemade fro-yo. YUUUUMM!

This frosting idea is so smart. :)

8. Wheeler's Crew May 26, 2009 at 12:47 pm #

That’s a great idea. I definitely want to try it. Do you know if there’s any vegan Greek-style yogurt on the market?

9. Stef May 26, 2009 at 12:58 pm #

Wheeler – I’ve never seen any – but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. You could make your own though.

10. Lisa May 27, 2009 at 8:48 am #

I’d have never thought of that! I like the idea. Anything lighter than buttercream is worth a try on my everyday cupcakes.

11. jillian May 28, 2009 at 3:46 pm #

This sounds like a great idea!

12. Kevin May 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

Greek yogurt frosting is a good idea!

13. Elyse May 28, 2009 at 9:28 pm #

Greek yogurt frosting is a genius idea. Looks absolutely light and delicious. I love that bit of tang that the yogurt adds to the frosting. You’re so right: sweet and tang go so well together!

14. How To Eat A Cupcake May 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm #

Ahhh I got those coupons too!! But I can only find the Greek yogurt at the grocery stores I never go to, and I can never find the time to make a special trip. :( I’m sure I’ll be trying this yogurt icing when I finally find the Greek yogurt! :D

15. Anonymous July 11, 2009 at 6:25 pm #

Hmmm I would consider this more of a glaze than frosting however it is a much healthier option (Coming from a Dietitian!) Good Job!

16. Anonymous December 11, 2009 at 4:27 am #

I just put your icing on cinnamon rolls. It is basically perfect. Thanks.

17. Katy March 27, 2010 at 11:40 am #

I just put it on apple muffins. Nice, lighter alternative to cream cheese frosting. And my 7 year even loves it.

18. drifter June 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

just tried this. i’m a huge fan of the tartness you get from greek yogurt but my family not so much. have you tried w/ just plain yogurt before?

19. Stef June 28, 2010 at 5:55 am #

Drifter – I haven’t, but I suppose it could work. It would just be runnier.

20. Pecas July 1, 2010 at 6:47 am #

wow this is a great idea but i am making homemade Dora the Explorer cupcakes for my daughters birthday party…. since it was suggested to consume right away, do u think putting them in the freezer might ruin it? im a new cook so please dont laugh at me….LOL

21. Stef July 1, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

Pecas – I’d freeze the cupcakes and then add the frosting just before serving. It might work to freeze with the frosting, but I’m not sure. And – I’d never laugh at anyone’s question.

22. Maggie July 7, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Oooo, I will definitely have to try this! I recently moved to an area where specialty foods like Greek yogurt are much more available to me, and I am totally sold on the Greek style. In fact, I don’t know if I can go back to regular yogurt now. This would probably be delicious with some honey in it, too.

23. Corrine August 31, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

Any thoughts on how you might thicken it up a bit without making it much sweeter? Mine’s looking pretty runny right now…Oops.

24. Stef September 2, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

Corrine – Did you chill it? That helps, but it’s still a bit runny.

25. Corrine September 16, 2010 at 8:38 am #

I did chill it but it was still really runny (it’s possible I went overboard with the vanilla). I just wound up calling them muffins instead of cupcakes, and no one knew the difference…Thanks!

26. N.D. January 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Ilove this idea!

27. Lisa March 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

If you put the yoghurt in some muslin cloth (or a clean cotton hankercheif if no muslin cloth), tie it up and hang over a bowl in the fridge and leave overnight then a lot of the liquid will strain off and you’ll be left with lovely thick yoghurt. This is how dessert yoghurt is made in Indian quisine.

28. Anosha May 1, 2011 at 6:33 am #

@Lisa
    that is a great idea! However you can also put the yogurt in a clean cloth and squeeze the water out of it.
    LOVE THE IDEA

29. Anonymous May 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I make my own plain yogurt. I line a colander with coffee filters, fill with yogurt, and drain over a bowl in the frig. The longer you drain it, the thicker it gets. Works like a charm!

30. KLS July 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

VERY RUNNY. I wouldnt consider it a frosting. Very disappointed because I was looking for a healthier alternative.

31. Stef July 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

KLS – Sorry that it wasn’t what you were looking for. You might try the chocolate hummus with Justin’s Chocolate Nut Butter – that one is fairly healthy and somewhat thicker. Be sure to use the Justin’s nut butter though as opposed to a more oily chocolate nut spread.

32. Steph December 20, 2011 at 6:58 am #

Hi Stef,
    I live in Singapore where it’s very warm and I am actually trying to make cupcakes for after dinner on Friday but I’m wondering if there’s a way I can make them on Thurs then somehow keep them until Friday?

Should I make the cupcakes on thurs then refrigerate them? then only make the icing on Friday… thaw out the cupcakes just before dinner and ice them on the spot? only worry is that I wont have enough time. Cold cupcakes dont taste so good huh? :)

33. Stef December 20, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Steph – You can leave the cupcakes out for a day. They will be fine. Just frost them on Friday.

34. Anonymous January 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Turned out beautifully. I sprinkled on half a package of gelatin before refrigerating. I used it on top of a red velvet cake instead of cream cheese icing, and just covered the cake right before serving. All the kids (yes, KIDS!) came back for a second slice. The gelatin did the trick to hold the consistency. Still drippier than regular icing, but it was fine to spread it on before serving and it went well with the cake. Thanks for the recipe!

35. B January 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

If you aren’t afraid of the fat, add 1/2 C butter to thicken the frosting a bit. I tried it with the butter and it stays pretty solid at room temperature. Just mix in softened butter with the sugar and yogurt, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

36. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 7:00 am #

You could also mix in a little bit of cream cheese (fat free works great!) as a thickener. I really like the idea of straining the yogurt first, though. That seems like it would create a perfect consistency. I’m making this later in the week to use as the frosting component of a fruit pizza!

37. Anonymous June 6, 2012 at 3:28 am #

You might also find adding some single cream (whipping cream for those of you in the US), and whipping the yoghurt up will give it a harder feel to it, without adding the same badness of butter or cream cheese. Add about 50ml / 300g of icing.

38. Angeline July 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

I’ve heard a lot of good reviews about Greek Yogurt. Honestly, I have not tasted this kind of probiotic yogurt food yet. I think it would be a good idea to try this yogurt out to see how it really tastes like.

39. Anonymous July 16, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

Love the frosting, but what cupcake is this? It looks yummy!

40. Anonymous September 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Pretty sure I saw Greek-style soy yogurt at a big health food store recently. (Good Earth in Fairfax, CA) Which makes me think you should look at Whole Foods and similar stores in your area.

41. Anonymous November 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

I think if you made the yoghurt into yoghurt cheese first, it would be even thicker and may work better. I think you line muslin in a seive over a bowl, put the quantity of yoghurt you need inside and let it drain overnight in the fridge – it will lose some liquid and it will be more like cream cheese (apparently!).

42. Anonymous November 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Just tried this recipe. It was excellent (cooling the yogurt gave it a very nice consistency)! My husband does not like frosting that is too sweet so I just added a bit more yogurt. I also included orange and lemon zest. Yum!!

43. Mike @TheIronYou December 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

I can’t wait to try your version of Greek yogurt frosting. I can’t stand regular cream cheese + butter frosting. It’s too sweet and fat for my standards.

44. glory January 10, 2013 at 1:52 am #

i haven’t tried it, but its seems to be a better alternative to the other unhealthy options.

45. Ruby February 7, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Has anyone tried this with a sugar alternative? I am part of a weight loss challenge at work and my assignment is to find healthier recipes for the things we love. I love baking and was thinking of using this recipe on top of applesauce spice cupcakes, but I need to cut-down on the sugars.

46. Anonymous February 28, 2013 at 5:40 am #

I used this recipe to make my daughter’s birthday cake last night. She’s very health conscious. I baked the cake in a cookie sheet so the cake itself would be thin. Used this Greek yogurt frosting, and did all the decorations with fruit. Wrote her name in pineapple, made butterflies out of sliced strawberries, used blueberries and raspberries, etc. It was SO delicious – I can’t even believe how good it was. You get your cake fix, and it’s so light and delicious with the fruit and yogurt! Thanks for the recipe!

47. Cate ML June 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

A tiny tip: mixing one egg white to the frosting makes it thicker, yet still soft :)

Love,
    C xx

48. ben w August 15, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

I used this as a dip for a sweet bread and had three bowls, plain, one with mint, and one with cinnamon. It was great.

49. Yogurt Maker October 24, 2013 at 5:26 am #

I just couldn’t leave your internet site before advising that I highly loved the common data a person provide on your family and friends? Shall be back again generally as a way to examine cross-check new content

50. my friend, there is a good post.

51. Healing Arts January 2, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

Another could be a weight loss membership site, where members get a new report or some other kind of benefit in order to
    help them lose weight. Low levels of many vitamins and minerals can cause
    hair loss, including low levels of iron, zinc, vitamin A, and some of the B vitamins.

Self-exploration frequently leads to acknowledging that you are afflicted by emotional consuming.
    Instead of consuming soda drinks, try to consume plenty of water.
    The result is Slimple

• Lisa February 5, 2014 at 6:38 am #

We doubled this recipe for my son’s cake and cupcakes. I added 2 ripe bananas to thicken and for flavor. Loved it! My kids are so happy to have a healthier icing!! Thank you!

52. Greg March 6, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Hi! I am making cereal bars. I wondered if this would be good for to dip each cereal bar in at the bottom. Just like a frosties bar? Thank you :)

1. Strawberry Banana Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] 1. Strawberry banana is my favorite yogurt flavor and I wanted a cupcake that went with Greek yogurt frosting. [...]

2. Delightfully Diet Ginger Ale Lemon Cake - May 13, 2013

[...] Greek Yogurt Frosting [...]

3. Isabelle von Boch: Healthy Halloween - Villeroy & Boch Blog - July 17, 2013

[...] of oil and butter, but they’ll still satisfy your sweet tooth! Instead of heavy frosting, try a yogurt glaze. It’s a healthier [...]

4. Read It All Up Test NIght 3: Secrety Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes – Baking Adventures - September 2, 2013

[...] that was in the oven, I switched into frosting mode. I’d found a recipe today for Greek Yogurt Frosting, so I got out the Greek yogurt, powdered sugar, and [...]

5. Adventures in Dinner Prep… | The Field Notes - September 19, 2013

[...] used a Greek yogurt-based frosting (I used vanilla yogurt instead of plain and I threw in some cinnamon.) It was alright, but I will [...]

6. 51 HEALTHY GREEK YOGURT RECIPES FOR ANY MEAL | HealthFit Magazine - October 14, 2013

[...] 49. Greek Yogurt Frosting This healthier take on cake and cupcake frosting is incredibly easy: Just whisk together Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and half a cup of powdered sugar for a much less sugary (but still delicious) frosting. [...]

7. Rainbow Sprinkle Cupcakes (All I Need is Puppies) | Inside My Head - January 8, 2014

[...] so I am stuck here with a plate of naked cupcakes until I buy icing sugar. I will be testing out a new icing recipe I found that instead of butter (remember how much I hate buttercream icing) uses greek yogurt which [...]

8. hookedonhealth: BREAKFAST 1. Greek Yogurt Pancakes2. Eggs… « We Live Social - February 22, 2014

[...] Banana Bread47. Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Made with Greek Yogurt48. Greek Yogurt Cheesecake49. Greek Yogurt Frosting50. Greek Yogurt Chocolate Mousse51. Greek Yogurt Pound [...]

9. Single-serving blueberry muffin with vanilla yogurt frosting | She can't eat what?! - February 24, 2014

[...] the topping, this recipe for yogurt frosting I found by Stef from Cupcake Project works really well. Butter icing is another food I can and do eat straight out of the bowl – [...]

10. Vanilla yogurt frosting | She can't eat what?! - February 24, 2014

[...] recipe for a healthier icing/frosting from Stef at Cupcake Project is amazing and I used it to top my blueberry muffins. It’s still not ideal because of the [...]

11. Strawberry Obsessions 3.4.14 - March 7, 2014

[...] MEDITERRANEAN DIET: Greek yogurt + powdered sugar = this awesome frosting. [...]

12. Get him to the Greek … Yogurt! | Water or Milk - March 12, 2014

[...] that’s not even it! You can also use Greek yogurt to make frosting, cheesecake, mac ‘n’ cheese, dressings, dips and smoothies, of course. There are a lot of [...]

13. love, in this moment | Floptimism - April 12, 2014

[...] love. This greek yogurt frosting. Oh, and also: while we’re on the subject. More greek yogurt love, plus chocolate. Bonus [...]

14. Single-serving Vegan Blueberry Muffin - She can't eat what?!She can't eat what?! - July 30, 2014

[...] the topping, this recipe for vanilla yogurt frosting I found by Stef from Cupcake Project works really well. Butter icing is another food I can and do eat straight out of the bowl – [...]

15. Vanilla Yogurt Frosting - She can't eat what?!She can't eat what?! - July 30, 2014

16. Healthy Icing Alternatives « Recipes for Health - August 20, 2014

[...] Greek Yogurt Frosting – A Healthy Frosting | Cupcake Project – Greek yogurt frosting might be just the thing to top your light, summery cupcakes. Because Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt, it doesn’t drip off [...]

17. Healthy Icing Recipes « Recipes for Health - October 15, 2014

[...] Greek Yogurt Frosting – A Healthy Frosting | Cupcake Project – Greek yogurt frosting might be just the thing to top your light, summery cupcakes. Because Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt, it doesn’t drip off the [...]