Strawberry Cupcakes with Champagne Glaze: Picture Perfect Cupcakes

Strawberry Cupcakes with Champagne Glaze: Picture Perfect Cupcakes

cupcakes, cupcakes with filling, cupcakes with jam, drink-based, glaze, holiday, strawberry, Valentine's Day, yellow cake
Strawberry Cupcakes

These strawberry cupcakes are my take on an award winning strawberry cupcake recipe from Good Morning America Weekend Edition’s’ Great American Cupcake Challenge.   I didn’t touch the cake recipe – a sweet yellow cake packed with pieces of fresh strawberries.  However, instead of topping the cupcakes with strawberry frosting, I gave them a champagne glaze and placed a fresh strawberry on each one.  Topping cupcakes with strawberries is the baking equivalent of taking photos of kids or dogs, it’s so easy to do with almost guaranteed viewer satisfaction.

Strawberry Cupcakes with Champagne Glaze:

• Champagne Glaze Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup Champagne

Cupcake Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
  3. Add eggs. Mix until smooth and creamy.
  4. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Mix until combined.
  5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
  6. Stir in strawberries.
  7. Fill cupcake liners half way full.
  8. Bake at 350 F for 18-20 minutes. Let cool.
  9. Champagne Glaze Instructions*
  10. Boil butter, sugar, and water for 3 minutes.
  11. Remove from the heat.
  12. Stir in champagne and let cool.
  13. Topping
  14. Top glazed cupcakes with fresh strawberries

*When I took the butter, sugar, and water mixture off the stove and mixed the champagne into the hot mixture it was delish and it had a strong champagne flavor. After it cooled on the cupcakes it was still great, but the champagne flavor did become a bit more subtle.

18 comments on “Strawberry Cupcakes with Champagne Glaze: Picture Perfect Cupcakes”

1. Minko says:

A chocolate champagne ganache would probably have been nice.

Or a strawberry champagne buttercream with a chocolate dipped strawberry would work as well.

2. Glen says:

The cupcakes look lovely, as always.

3. These look absolutely elegant!

4. Bryan says:

These were a great idea and definetly play to the New Year’s Eve theme.

I thought the cake was very good and loved the chopped up bits of strawberry. However, I was not a big fan of the jam in the cupcake. This caused it to be a little messy and made parts of the cake soggy and difficult to handle. I fear somebody spilling on their dress or suit. The frosting was a good idea, but was a non-factor to me.

Cake: B (only because of comment above)
    Icing: C
    Overall Taste: B
    Appearance: B+ (The strawberry slice was a nice touch)
    Overall: B

I liked the idea of these and think without the jam they would be even better. Good taste though

5. Terri says:

I really liked these and think they would work great for New Years Eve. I did think they were too moist and a little messy to eat, but other than that, loved the taste and the look!

6. I love this site. I’m thinking of making these and dipping the strawberry in white chocolate.

7. Tina says:

I have never used champagne in a recipe but there are two from your site I would like to try these and the mimosa… my question is what type of champagne do I use? Can i go cheap does it matter ? I am not a champagne drinker so I know less than nothing about it

8. natalie says:

1 t is 1 tbsp or 1 tsp?

9. Stef says:

t is teaspoon. Sorry for the confusion.

10. Emily says:

The girls from Georgetown Cupcakes have an amazing champagne buttercream frosting recipe. It’s in their new book, The Cupcake Diaries, and on the Oprah website. I think I’m thinking about doing the glaze and the frosting…would that be too much?

11. Stef says:

Emily – It’s up to you. If you love the frosting, I’d probably suggest just using the frosting. Putting a glaze under the frosting might cause the frosting to slide around too much on the cupcake.

12. Joe G. says:

Instead of the chopped strawberries, I would like to use puree. How much puree should I use, and will it mess up the consistency of the cupcakes?

• Anonymous says:

Do you think this recipe would work if i placed in them icecream cones and bakes them? I really want to make strawberry icecream cones for my sisters baby shower and love this recipe!

• Stef says:

Anon – Yes, I do think it would work.

13. BellaMamma says:

I tried three different batches of these cupcakes – trying different adjustments each time, and it didn’t matter what I did, they fell every time! They weren’t even save-able with any kind of icing. It was a big disappointment because I’m usually pretty good with cupcakes and I needed them for a birthday party…

14. London Nycole says:

Question: When it comes to the flour, do I sift then measure out 2.5c or measure then shift

15. Jennifer says:

Could I do these as a cake instead? If so, what changes would you recommend?

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment