I already have a favorite carrot cupcake recipe. In addition to carrots, that carrot cupcake is loaded with coconut, cinnamon, cardamom, currants, and crushed pineapple. It’s a classic flavor turned a bit exotic. I didn’t want to change it when I made these carrot cupcakes. However, I realized that my carrot cupcake (and just about every carrot cupcake I’ve ever tasted) is heavy and spiced for fall. I decided to give my carrot cupcakes a spring makeover!
My new carrot cupcakes are lemony and made for spring’s sunshine. These spring carrot cupcakes are lighter than their fall counterparts and flavored with tangy crystallized ginger and honey. In keeping with carrot cake tradition, however, these spring carrot cupcakes are frosted with cream cheese frosting – this time with a splash of honey.
Spring Carrot Cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in honey and butter until fully combined.
- Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Fold in carrots.
- Fold in crystallized ginger.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
- Mix in honey.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.