I’ve made gingerbread cupcakes before, but this time, I wanted to take gingerbread cupcakes to the next level. I added chocolate, a splash of coffee, and a bold, ginger orange glaze – and ended up with an unforgettable, sophisticated holiday cupcake.
I totally fell in love with the handmade paper gingerbread toppers from Etsy seller LOVE2STAMP4U. If you’d rather use edible toppers, these chocolate gingerbread cupcakes would be adorable topped with real gingerbread men or homemade gingersnap cookies.
Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ¾ cup brewed or instant coffee near boiling
- ¾ cup powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Mix in the egg and molasses until fully combined.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and clove.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the coffee to the wet ingredients. Mix well after each addition.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. The glaze should be thick, but easily spreadable.
- Spread onto cooled cupcakes.