Homemade Vegan Butter that Looks, Feels, and Tastes Like Butter | Cupcake Project

Homemade Vegan Butter that Looks, Feels, and Tastes Like Butter

Mattie’s VeganBaking.net post sharing a recipe for homemade vegan butter is exemplary food writing.  It’s original, well thought out, and – most importantly – the recipe works.  The post details the need for homemade vegan butter and every step Mattie took to develop the vegan butter recipe to perfection.

I’m not a vegan.  But, I often bake vegan recipes (they are called out as vegan in my recipe index).  I had never imagined that it was possible to make homemade vegan butter that would look, feel, and taste like butter.  Mattie’s recipe does just that.  I would feel comfortable using this vegan butter in any recipe that called for butter.  In fact, in my next post, you’ll see how the vegan butter fared in the ultimate test – vegan buttercream.

Because I can’t say it better than Mattie, I am not going to share the recipe here (you’ll have to visit VeganBaking.net for the details).  I will only share the one small modification that I made.

When you read through Mattie’s recipe, you’ll see that once you prepare the vegan butter, you need to freeze it in a mold.  Any shape mold will do.  You could use a big tub, do as Maddie did and use extra-large ice cube trays, or even make butter shaped like leaves or snowmen!  I wanted my vegan butter to look like a stick of butter to any unsuspecting omnivore.  So, I purchased a special wooden butter stick mold.  Butter molds are hard to find (I guess there aren’t that many people who care about making butter in the shape of a stick) and as far as I could tell, they only come in wood.

I purchased the butter mold shown above on Ebay and I was thrilled with the quality and craftsmanship of the product.  Once it arrives, you’ll just need a little food-safe mineral oil to season it and it will be all set to go.  Let the butter soften a bit before removing from the mold to make the butter easier to remove.

If you try the vegan butter, I’d love to hear about it in the comments!  Happy vegan baking!

25 Responses to Homemade Vegan Butter that Looks, Feels, and Tastes Like Butter

1. non geographic numbers October 2, 2012 at 8:32 am #

There are foods are really taste good if there is a butter. I’m glad that there is a homemade vegan butter which is better because this is surely less in fat.

2. mia james October 4, 2012 at 8:07 am #

That butter is superb. A healthy treat to those who loves some greasy butter taste. It has less fat than the regular ones and I like that a lot.
    Ecommerce Australia

3. Alice Childress October 7, 2012 at 9:16 am #

I cannot wait to try to make this butter! Thank you for sharing!!

4. website hosting australia October 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Awesome blog post, numerous high-quality data. I am going to show my friends and ask them the things they think.

5. Muhammad Farhan November 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

5 Tips to a flat stomach
    ———————————-

There are long lasting ways to get the amazing middle you crave. These genius tips
    Will help you shed inches and pounds, banish the bloat, And feel even more gorgeous.
    we have very best advice for quickly shrinking your tummy. Here are the surprising
    Hello, skinny jeans! Stop making these 5 Major mistakes and you will finally lose your stubborn belly fat

6. cheap prom dresses November 27, 2012 at 6:27 am #

It’s the flavor I despise the most (well, next to celery!), but I’m going to guess black licorice!

cheap prom dresses

7. Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

I made this vegan butter awhile ago and It was really good. I don’t know why I didn’t make it again…. Still have all the ingredients…….

8. Mattie (@Veganbaking) May 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

I’m so glad you like the Vegan Butter Stef! Brilliant that you found that butter mold! I’m going to order one immediately.

9. T May 21, 2013 at 4:23 am #

Did it work in buttercream?

10. sour stomach remedies December 25, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Should your abdominal cramps have started out not too long ago so you have diarrhoea, the source is probably a stomach annoy (gastroenteritis). What this means is you have a viral as well as infection on the stomach as well as intestinal, which will get better without treatment soon after a couple of days. Perhaps the most common reason for gastroenteritis can be a norovirus.

11. Baking soft drink makes a superb solution and deodorizer.

Sprinkle the corn meal about thee soil underneath the plant and ouut to the drip line.
    You need to uuse kiill mold spray to truly have a hassle free clean-up.

12. salt lake city mold treatment January 2, 2014 at 2:50 am #

Butt there is a much better solution to examine the
    cavity. Check the lights and some other electtronics in the van.

For example, you can encounter itchy eyes and irritation
    in the throat at the same time.

13. You do not know what your rights as a renter are in regards to a ouse with
    black mold. Firstly, the statement consists of legitimate proof the
    findings during the mold inspection.

14. Affinion January 12, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

Even the freedom to master at private personal pace can certainly helpful for anybody
    who is working professional. Those who study and research about reptiles and amphibians are known
    as herpetologists.

15. Mold Testing Seattle January 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Natural cleaning products are severe on molds, buut friendly for people andd environment.
    Do that only after thee mold has been treated successfully.
    Therefore then require more care and attention.

16. criminal defense lawyer February 9, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

In collectin of statees you ccan submit a criticism about lawyers.
    The lawyer of one’s liking really seriously should meet your personal needs.

17. She gives extensive information, advice and tips in
    her Work from Home Party and Website. In Georgia, realtors are needed by their brokes to
    offer out 3 brands of personnel.

18. Mold Inspection Los Angeles March 23, 2014 at 7:20 am #

Breathing difficulty can cause severe respiratory tract disease.
    It will leap from the juniper to the apple, and then straight back from the apple on to the juniper.

Each treatment is determined by the healthiness of the nail.

19. It can be ideal a chance to make some ideas for future years and it’s time and energy to be happy. We’ve learn this text and when I’ll just I wish to suggest people several attention-grabbing points and also ideas. You may may compose next articles in regards to this write-up. I wish to read through much more concerns regarding this!

20. http://tinyurl.com/ April 6, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

Shop clearance or see which offers official noknstop can lend you some gear or books to start.
    While most birds are loved by man, pest birds represent a significant and
    ongoing problem.

21. forbes April 7, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

Have you been particularly proficient at 1 orr 2 subjects?
    An expert may possibly assist you directly themselves.
    Not everyone may like this approach however.
    That money is use it or lose it so make sure you estimate well!

22. Newark Post Online April 8, 2014 at 2:20 am #

You will not jst have tto check out a gym
    every day’s the 1week. 8am- In case you wake up,
    before you’re doing anything, play outside for a brisk 20
    minute go around.

1. Must-Try Vegan Frosting (Trans-Fat Free) | Cupcake Project - April 18, 2013

[...] I made homemade vegan butter, my biggest question – the ultimate test – was whether or not the butter would work in [...]

2. Thanks. Giving. A Perspective on Both from a Teacher and Nutrition & Health Coach | mysuperfoods - November 25, 2013

[...] -          Vegan?  Here is a vegan butter recipe (that you may not be able to make in a jar, but can be a great lesson anyway!): http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2012/10/homemade-vegan-butter-that-looks-feels.html [...]