Homemade Ritz Crackers Recipe | Cupcake Project

Homemade Ritz Crackers Recipe

Homemade Ritz crackers were a challenge.  Take a look:

Each column on this cutting board resulted from a slightly different recipe for homemade Ritz crackers (and the board doesn’t show all of my trials).  Some homemade Ritz cracker attempts used only butter, some used only vegetable oil, and some used a combination.  Some were brushed with melted butter before baking, some after baking, and some partially through baking.  Some homemade Ritz crackers had salt sprinkled on top and some had salt mixed into the butter (some used kosher salt and some used regular table salt).  There were varieties with more baking powder and some with less.  You get the idea.

I came pretty close to getting the Ritz cracker right.  The real Ritz cracker is slightly more fluffy, but the taste of mine is spot on (though most tasters thought that it was slightly better).  Now you can enjoy Ritz crackers without high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils.  I say “you” because I don’t want to see another Ritz cracker ever again – too much taste testing!!

Homemade Ritz Cracker Recipe

While this homemade Ritz cracker recipe is a Cupcake Project original, I used Jeffrey’s recipe from What’s 4 Dinner Solutions as a starting point. Huge thanks go out to him.

This recipe is made in a food processor.  If you cut the recipe in half, you can fit it in a mini food processor.

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp + another 1/2 tsp salt for topping
  • 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter + 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup water
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, and 1/2 tsp of salt in the food processor.
  3. Pulse to combine.
  4. Add cold butter a few small pats at a time, and pulse to combine.
  5. Add vegetable oil.  Pulse to combine.
  6. Add water a little bit at a time.  Pulse to combine after each addition.  The dough should start to form a ball.
  7. Roll dough out as thin as you can.  Mine ended up being all different thicknesses.  Don’t sweat it.  They are homemade!  If you are really concerned, Jeffrey had luck using a pasta maker to make the dough all one thickness – great idea!
  8. Use cookie cutters to cut the dough out.  You can make them Ritz-shaped or any shape that you like.
  1. Poke holes in the dough in the Ritz pattern or any pattern you like (smiley faces would be fun!).  Keep in mind that the holes are not just decorative; they help the crackers to bake correctly – so be sure to poke some.
  1. Bake the crackers on a parchment- or Silpat-lined baking sheet for ten minutes or until the crackers just begin to brown.
  2. While the crackers are baking, melt the remaining butter and mix in the remaining salt (Some people said that my crackers weren’t salty enough.  Add more or less salt to your taste.)
  3. As soon as you remove the crackers from the oven, brush them with the salty butter.
  1. Cool and eat!

Cupcake Connection

I used these Ritz crackers to make a Ritz crust for cheesecake cupcakes.

126 Responses to Homemade Ritz Crackers Recipe

1. Victoria at Party Puff March 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Wow, I could never do all of that testing…way to go!

2. Joy March 4, 2011 at 1:35 am #

Oh my word…Ritz crackers are some of my store-bought indulgences. Not anymore, thanks to your thorough experimentation. Yay!

3. Charissa March 4, 2011 at 11:51 am #

I just love how healthy you made these. It makes me so happy when old “bad” favourites are made into something great! Love it!

4. Mary March 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

Wow! Love the health factor! These looks great!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

5. theopinionatedbaker March 5, 2011 at 8:04 am #

You’re my hero-ine! These were my favorite biscuits as a child! But they got banned due to the partially hydrogenated fat. I’m so glad there’s a healthier recipe.

6. Flavor Creator March 5, 2011 at 11:16 am #

I omitted the salt altogether, then brushed with salted butter & dusted with powdered sugar. They make wonderful cookies. Then I used the remaining dough to form tarts & filled with cream cheese and mini choco chips. Soooo good. They do, of course, make excellent crackers.

7. Sara March 6, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Great idea…these look really yummy and I love the idea of Ritz crackers with out all the junk they put in them. Thanks for doing all the testing for us! :)

8. Anonymous March 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

About how many crackers did the recipe make? Just wondering if I should make a half batch or a full batch…

Thanks.

9. Stef March 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Anon – I wish I could tell you. I did so many batches and kept playing with the batter so much that I never got a good count of how many were in a single recipe. :( If you make them, please tell me so I can tell others.

10. Cindy Rowland March 8, 2011 at 9:50 am #

I will be making these in the very near future.
    You have two #12 steps in the recipe instructions. I don’t mind, but thought you might like to know. ;)

11. Being Me: Danielle March 8, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Hey Stef!! Thanks so much for your comment after I posted about your Ritz Crackers on my blog!! :)

Trying my best to reduce using plastics… I nearly jumped out of my chair with excitement when saw you posted this recipe :) Thank you thank you thank you!!

12. Anonymous March 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

I am so excited to make these!!

Now I am hoping to find a recipe for Homemade Triscuits! My collection would be complete.

13. jeff March 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Hey! Thanks for the shoutout! I was mentioning to Mrs J just today that we were due to make a batch of crackers. I’ll use your recipe and hope to do as well. Yay!

14. Stacy and Ellie March 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

So cool, thank you so much for sharing, I can’t wait to try these!!

15. angie March 8, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Ritz crackers are my almost 2 year olds favorite “Cookies” and now we can make them together! Thanks for this recipe.

16. Brenda March 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

You can roll things out a uniform thickness if you buy a dowel the thickness you need, break it in two and put them on either side of your dough. The rolling pin will roll down to the dowel(ie. 1/8 in.) and all your dough will be that thickness. This sounds like a great recipe. Thank you for your testing!

17. Stacy and Ellie March 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

I just made these and they came out great! Thanks so much!

18. Anonymous March 15, 2011 at 10:51 am #

What was the vegetable oil you used?

19. Stef March 15, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Anon – I used canola oil.

• Unknown October 6, 2012 at 9:14 am #

I hope you used organic canola…almost 100% canola is GMO!

20. Dea March 18, 2011 at 10:14 am #

My husband loves those, I will def. try to surprise him with this homemade version! I feel confident in trying these knowing that you tried so many versions, thank you so much!!
    What did you use to poke the holes? Do you think it works with simply a toothpick? (sorry, very beginner baker here…)

• Anonymous May 3, 2012 at 7:35 am #

fork

• Sue November 22, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

Using a chopstick end is quick and works perfectly!

21. Stef March 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

Dea – I used the end of a candy thermometer. A toothpick would work fine, just be sure to swirl it around a bit so the hole is a bit larger than just a little dot.

22. Dea March 19, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed reply, Stef!! I’ll be making these very soon, I just went to the store today and bought the cutter! :D Can’t wait!

23. Dea March 21, 2011 at 4:12 am #

OMG I made them and they came out excellent!! My husband’s expression when he saw them and tasted them was priceless!!
    I made half the recipe and ended up with 54 crackers.
    I’m sending you a pic! :D

24. Anonymous April 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

What a great recipe! Finally a crispy homemade cracker! Yay! I’ve made these twice now. The first time as written. The second time I did 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat and skipped the butter/salt baste at the end. I cut the crackers using these super cute mini animal shape cookie cutters. PERFECT! I am in love! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh, and the kids loved them too :)

25. Anonymous May 15, 2011 at 3:50 am #

The pasta machine is a terrific tool for guaranteeing uniform thickness. I use mine for pierogi dough and for the dough for my chrustyky (Polish bow-tie cookies). Perfect every time… I can’t wait to try this recipe.

26. Mo 'Betta May 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

This is AWESOME! I put the Ritz crackers back on the shelf during my last shopping trip due to the hydrogenated oils. My little boy loves them, so I’ll have to give these a try!

27. Brigitte May 30, 2011 at 11:23 am #

I just made this recipe and yes, you captured the Ritz flavor. I’d like to get them thinner so next time, I’ll roll them on the silicone baking sheet. That way I can slide the entire thing right onto the baking sheet. I did have to leave them in the oven 3 minutes longer (with the convection fan running) because I wanted a more golden cracker. Wonderful recipe…

28. Apron Appeal June 11, 2011 at 11:14 am #

These just came out of the oven. I love that I can whip them up quickly. I had to make some modifications to make them dairy free but they are tasty and my teething toddler can actually gum at them and I don’t have to worry about him choking on the pieces he bites off. Thank you, would you mind terribly if I post the altered recipe on my blog and link it back to you for the credit?

29. Anonymous July 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

Delicious! It’s almost too bad they taste so good – you want to gobble them up! :) I used olive oil and just put them straight on the cookie sheets (w/o paper) & they came out great! I started cutting them with my bunny & duck (Easter) cutters, but then decided that cutting the rest into squares was just about as nice and way quicker! So glad to find this recipe, as we’ve banned all goods with HFCS & partially hydrogenated oils too. Next time I might try using coconut oil instead of the butter or olive oil….
    ~Julie :)

30. Maria August 11, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Very good. I ran out of AP, so I used whole wheat pastry flour for half. Not quite like the store-bought, but very pleasing in their own right. We ate them with this Salmon Salad. http://upstatecalikitchenadventures.blogspot.com/2011/08/dill-cucumbers-bell-pepper.html

31. Anonymous August 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Thank you thank you thank you for all your testing! My spouse and I are wheat free and one of the things I miss most are crackers, but when I tried to make my own I figured out just how difficult they are. Now, thanks to you I’ll be able to have *good* crackers again, yay!!! Seriously, thanks a million. :-)
    –Kate

32. Chef Chris September 10, 2011 at 9:45 pm #

Best of all is you can crumble the broken ones and use it as a cracker coating for fish!

33. Linda September 27, 2011 at 6:22 am #

My family also needs to be wheat free but we can handle spelt–the spelt crackers recipes out there leave a lot to be desired. This recipe is perfect. I can’t wait to try it tomorrow!! My teens and I miss “real” crackers!

34. alexer October 8, 2011 at 7:31 am #

Thank you for a simple wonderful recipe.

35. kim October 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Just tried these and they seem to be a hit (I can’t eat wheat right now, so haven’t gotten to try them, but kids’ loved making them and eating them.) We did pumpkin shaped ones with faces poked into them.

Thanks for your testing!

36. Dawn October 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Just made these… SUCCESS!!! I am a caterer and have been looking for a Ritz-type recipe. I have a salmon spread I make as an appetizer that simply taste better on a Ritz. But I Ritz is not bite-sized. This will be perfect! I rolled them out right on to the parchment then just used my pizza cutter to cut squares the size I needed. I then went crazy with a fork to make the holes and baked. The first batch I did exactly 10 minutes and while they were good, they were too soft – cookie-ish. So I left the next batch in for 12 minutes. This was exactly as needed for my purposes. And the taste is spot on! Thank you!

37. Anonymous October 30, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

I tied making these, liked the pastry like texture alot, but for flavour, I didn’t like it. For me there was to much baking powder which left quite a bitter flavour. I’ll try again with less baking powder. When I cooked them I found 2 minutes to be to long and they just about burnt. 8 minutes was just right for my oven. I’ll give it one more try and see what we come up with. I love making homemade crackers!

• Anonymous May 3, 2012 at 7:32 am #

Use aluminum free baking powder!

• Anonymous September 13, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

I also made the and endup throwing them away. They test too much of baking soda. I will try one more time with less baking soda. I guess 3 tspn is too much. When it tested like soda, I thought I must used the wrong measure spoon.

• Marion June 24, 2014 at 4:50 pm #

The recipe calls for baking powder, not baking soda.. Baking soda would definitely change the flavor for the worse. I’ve made that mistake more than once! :/ bleck.

• m0onlitangel October 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

only thing i changed was the oil i used olive oil baking soda was fine once you have the salt/butter on it was just a buttery crisp was delicious!

38. Justine November 16, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Do you think it makes a difference if you poke holes in the cracker all the way thru to the cookie sheet or if you just press holes in them, not piercing the dough completely?

• Anonymous May 3, 2012 at 7:30 am #

You only need to perforate just below the surface of the dough.

39. Jasmine November 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

Tried the recipe tonight and LOVED IT!
    Will post soon on my blog as well.
    Thank you!!
    xoxo
    Jasmine

40. Tanis December 20, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Tried these in a blender as I do not have a food processor, so they were a bit tougher I thought. Will get a food processor and try again! My family loved them though just the way they were! Some people are having trouble with wheat more and more. I found out for myself, it is the bromine put in many flours. I try to stay away from them now!

• Anonymous May 3, 2012 at 7:28 am #

I don’t have a food processor either. I cut the butter into small cubes, added them to the flour and worked it in with my finger tips until flour was mealy. I drizzled the oil in slowly with one hand while gently stirring the mealy flour with the other hand. I continued gently stirring the mealy dough with both hands working in any clumps (there were few and they were small.) Then I slowly added the water working it in with a fork. It doesn’t take very long to do this. It probably takes more time to get out, clean, and put away a food processor and they turned out perfectly.

41. Niki December 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Man oh man these look amazing! I tried to convert it to GF using Bobs all purpose flour and they definitely did not turn out as beautiful. If anyone figure out how to o it PLEASE let me know, I miss buttery crackers like crazy.

42. Anonymous January 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

These were so good. I wonder if a coupleof super thin layers would mimic the puffiness of Ritz.

43. Andrea Rouda February 2, 2012 at 5:01 am #

For those with little extra income.

44. Unknown February 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Thank you for duplicating these crackers. They were an occasional childhood treat that was stopped when they were manufactured with bad quality fat and sweetener; it also changed the taste. Looking forward to eating “Ritz” again.

45. Unknown February 23, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

46. Anonymous April 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Nope, they are not like Ritz crackers at all. Very mild taste and salt was no where to be found.

Sorry

• Rebekkah January 20, 2014 at 6:47 am #

Well, ‘Anonymous’, you are very unpleasant. No wonder you would not give your name.

Stef cared enough to take the time and trouble to put a gorgeous recipe out there for all of us like that and you have to say something sarcastic and complacent? How rude.

• suflerk February 27, 2014 at 3:00 am #

i did not try yet, but if you think that it is not at all like the real stuff, maybe you can give us recipe that is like the Ritz, I will wait for your recipe before attempting

Appreciate in advance

47. Anonymous May 3, 2012 at 7:15 am #

These turned out perfectly! They were a huge hit with my kids for an after school snack. I don’t have a food processor so I just used my hands to work in the butter and oil. For fun I used a variety of cookie cutter shapes. Great recipe!

• Anonymous May 3, 2012 at 7:21 am #

I just used my fingers to work in the butter. Add the butter to the flour in small cubes and just use your fingers to make the flour mealy. Drizzle in the oil in a small stream with one hand while stirring with the other hand and then gently stir with bare hands working in any clumps. (They will be small). Work the water in with a fork. It doesn’t take that long. It probably takes less time to do that then to get out, clean, and put away a food processor. I made mine this way and they turned out perfectly.

48. Astrid Marie May 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Thank you!!! I have been looking for this recipie for a long time! Cannot wait to try it. You have done so much work to find it! I just love Ritz-crackers but there are too many bad ingredients (palm oil etc) in the ones from the store

• Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 5:19 am #

palm oil is actually very good for you and Coconut oil is one of the very best oils for you, just avoid the hydrogenated versions. My doctor who has gotten diabetics off of meds & insulin told me this. Plus I have done a lot of research. I controll my diabetes with diet only (brought it down to around 125 from 215). The natural fats are the bests ones to use. We have been lied to about fats. The mainstream medical establishments blindly believe what they have been told & pass it on without doing research. The polyunsaturated fats are causing a lot of health problems. Do some research. foodrenegade.com is a good place to start. I’ve seen sites run by other doctors that say the same thing.

49. Ruxi May 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Wow! Thank you, on behalf of my family, for your patience and determination. Tomorrow I will try them, for sure! I really enjoyed your post and your blog.

50. Erin K. July 31, 2012 at 7:11 am #

I have a question on these… What is the texture like of the dough before you roll it out to cut it? Mine was very soupy, so I wasn’t sure if it should be up to 2/3c. water or if you actually use a full 2/3 cup?

Thanks,
    Erin

51. Christy September 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

I just made these with my girls and they turned out great! Thanks for the recipe! :)

52. Kylie Walls September 18, 2012 at 9:24 am #

The recipe looks great, and the pictures are so vivid, but it’s your blog that has blown me away…. How did you get the top to look like that? Please share, I’m open to anything.

53. Anonymous October 4, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Thank you SO MUCH for posting such a wonderful recipe!! My kids love them and so do I :) Quick question for anyone who has made lots of these- what do you find to be the best way to store them to keep them crisp? Rubbermaid? Plastic baggies? Empty cereal bags? Thanks!

54. Anonymous November 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

I tried this recipe with several different flours and they came out ok but nothing at all like Ritz Crackers….and mind you I’ve been eating Ritz for over 50 years…..maybe that’s the problem…..can’t fool my tastebuds. Think I’ll stick to the real thing.

55. Anonymous December 30, 2012 at 4:39 am #

Thank you very much for this recipe! I have a nephew who’s allergic to soy and nuts. Try finding a store-bought Ritz that doesn’t have soy or isn’t made in a facility with nuts! I live in a rural area, so no specialty stores. These crackers fit the bill and allowed me to make a family favorite recipe that he could have, too. No worries about those nasty allergens! We subbed canola oil for vegetable oil, and they turned out fine. I liked these better the second day. Thank you, again, for these fine crackers!

56. Sarah Campbell December 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Hi and thanks for this recipe! I know this is kind of old but if you get this message. . . I was wondering if the salt in the dough is important or if it is just for taste. I’m trying to make low-salt versions for my cracker loving toddler and would like to reduce the salt but I’m worried that it is important for proper rising etc. Do you think 1/4 tsp would be ok? I’m so excited to make ritz without that nasty cottonseed oil!!!
    THinking about using the palm oil shortening I have instead of butter but I know that is iffy because of the water content of butter.

• Anna August 29, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Lowering salt in the diet is not healthy. Eating salt temporarily raises blood pressure, but eating a low salt diet actually increased the risk of heart attack in more than one study. In fact, in one study, the increase in heart attacks increased to such a degree they aborted the test for the subjects safety! Please don’t put toddlers on low salt diets! See 180degeeehealth.com for more info and sources.

57. Jodi January 19, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

I made these tonight to have with sausage and lentil soup for supper. I used a teacup to cut them out as I wanted bigger than ritz crackers. When I took the dough out of the food processor I thought maybe I should have held back some of the water-but it was super easy to roll out. I got 30 crackers out of this recipe. I had only 10 left to put away. They turned out wonderfully. Thank you for all your testing.

58. Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 9:10 am #

my wife just made them, here are some of our LAZY changes.

1.used canola instead of vegetable because that is what we had
    2.rolled them out and just cut squares (oh, the heresy)
    3.used a fork for holes and just moved it around a bit to enlarge them a bit
    4.did not use parchment

dough was moist but okay
    real real thin ones not as good as medium ones
    lowered heat to 390 as the first batches were browning too much
    made a tad over a pound

will make them again but next time will roll them out on the underside of a cookie pan, score them, prick them and bake, brush, and break -lazy tom

• Diana March 18, 2013 at 9:43 am #

I agree–I liked the medium thick ones better than the thinnest ones.

I also rolled them out on a pizza stone and used a pizza cutter to cut into rectangles. They separated as they baked and were very easy to remove from my stone.

I used palm shortening instead of butter to make them dairy-free. And no butter baste and the end and they taste great! Not identical to Ritz, but they are definitely the best homemade cracker I’ve ever made. I’d say they’re like a cross between Captain’s wafers and Ritz. I’ll be making these again–thanks!

Oh, I also did a half batch and it worked great in my little Chefmate food chopper. Thanks for the suggestion–I don’t have a full-sized one!

59. Bonycells February 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

Thank you for this delicious Homemade Ritz Cracker recipe. I have made them several times using homemade oat flour in my food processor. I still use about 1/2-3/4 cup of regular flour to 1-1/2 cups of oat flour since the oats don’t seem to absorb the wet ingredients as well. I use Extra virgin olive oil and also substituted 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar and 1 teaspoon of baking soda instead of the 3 tsp of baking powder to eliminate the aluminum. Oh and I also substituted Stevia “cup for cup” for the sugar. I add enough flour when kneading the dough so that the dough doesn’t stick to the surfaces of the rolling pin or the stainless sheet I roll them out on. I use a pizza cutter to cut them in squares and with a pie slicer/server and some flour I pick up the pieces to transfer to the pans. I don’t poke them either. They turn out light and fluffy when cooked to a golden brown, about 10 minutes on either a baking sheet or a wire rack. And since my oven is a tad hot I set it at 390 degrees. I then dip the crackers in butter flipping them over with tongs to coat the other side then set them on a cooking sheet to cool. They seem to absorb the butter uniformly too. I don’t add any more salt as they taste good just with the coating of butter. This last batch I used unsalted butter for the coating and still love them just as much. My wife does too! Thanks again. Very healthy crackers. Now to try them with some cream cheese, Neufchâtel sounds delicious too! I need to learn to make that homemade next.

60. Anonymous February 28, 2013 at 9:06 am #

can you make it in a blender…i don’t have a food processor.

61. Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

If I were you i wouldn’t use a blender for doughs. I’ve tried making dough with a hamilton beach that I had just bought and the dough was so tough to mix that it ended up blowing out the motor. Just use your hands it’s less clean up :)

62. halcyon April 21, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Delicious! I think next time I’ll ratchet up the flavor by adding shredded cheese. Mmmm.

• Sue November 22, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

I have done that! Try cheddar with a dash of cayenne and a few drops of worchestershire sauce and you’ll have the perfect chez-it cracker. Yum!

63. Sol May 25, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Thank you for sharing the recipe. <3 I made those, and posted it on my blog. I did some small changes on the recipe, but I linked your blog in the post. Mine didn´t become as pretty as yours, but they tasted delicious!

• Stef May 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed! And – I checked yours out. They look cute!

64. Becky June 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Hubby and I just made these and they’re awesome! Tastes great and super easy. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

65. GD August 17, 2013 at 7:01 am #

How long can they keep. How to store them?

66. Peggy August 19, 2013 at 10:42 am #

The BUTTER can be ROOM TEMP when mixed in with the flour!

All the needless stressing over mixing in and using a food processor is unnecessary. I used ROOM TEMP butter and it was so easy and the finished product was perfect.

Forget having to have the butter cold and stressing over machines and “working it in”.

67. Marybeth August 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

I am wondering if anyone has tried a Gluten free variation of this recipe? Has it turned out?

• Amy January 12, 2014 at 1:45 am #

I just did a batch right now. I added 1/4 tsp Gum-Tex to 1 cup of GF flour and then followed as directed. I just increased the salt in the very last step. Taste is really close to the real thing, and the thicker-cut crackers had the closest texture.

It is a bit crumbly (I’ve never baked GF before, so maybe this is my inexperience), so I just took small lumps and pressed them flat on the parchment paper (instead of rolling out a large sheet) and then cut circles. Used my flattest spatula to position them. Bake time was a little longer, too.

Hope that helps :)

68. Lindsay September 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

These are great! I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil (almost always do, I just make sure it’s in liquid form first) and a little extra salt in the crackers as well as a little extra salt and melted butter for the top. They came out very good! I made some very very thin and some just a little thicker and I think we like the thicker ones better! They stayed just a bit softer in the middle but still very crunchy on the outside. Yum! I will definitely be making these again, and probably try with wheat flour next time. I also used my stand mixer instead of a food processor (with paddle attachment) and it worked great.

Thanks for the recipe!! :o )

69. barbie October 1, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

I made these tonight super yummy. I have fall cookie cutters and they are bite size. The kids loved them crackers with chicken salad.

70. sian October 23, 2013 at 12:41 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, they turned out beautifully. Unfortunately I had run out of butter so had to use margarine instead, but still taste amazing :)

71. Dawn November 8, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I am interested in giving this recipe a try. Any idea how long they will stay fresh?

72. Sue November 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

These are wonderful. I split the water 50/50 with buttermilk and rolled between two silpat matts for thickness. They came out flakey and way better than Ritz. Thank you.

73. Juanita November 28, 2013 at 4:10 am #

This is a fantastic recipe and what’s even better is that it worked so well with einkorn flour. The crackers came out fantastic, even better than the Ritz crackers I grew up with. My mother even liked them and she said, that as a child she hated Ritz crackers.

74. Simonster December 31, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Hi,
    Love the crackers – a tip for making them as “fluffy” as Ritz™ – use ice-cold liquid and let the dough rest and refrigerate for 1 -2 hours before rolling out, then release the dough from your work surface after rolling, rest 5 min and then cut out – this way the dough will shrink way less. Chill before baking too…both you and the dough.

yum.

75. MD March 22, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Amazing, I’m some glad you called this a homemade ritz cracker. I would never have found this had it been named anything else. I used shortening in replacement for unsalted butter and subbed olive oil for vegetable oil. Yikes I know, but let me tell ya, it tasted better than ritz and the texture was more like cream crackers, in my case. Mmmmm…. made about fifty, well let me tell ya about half of them were gone in the first day!

I don’t recommend using a blender I tried that first and had a burning smell coming out of it. To finish mixing the mixture I kneaded like bread dough. Next time I will use a mixer with a spiral dough hook.

This recipe was awesome, I will be making another batch sooner rather than later!

So thanks for sharing this one, as I’ve noticed many others feel the same.

76. Organic Girl March 23, 2014 at 12:06 am #

My married son asked if it was possible to make Ritz crackers. He wanted something healthier for his family. I lfound this recipe and made it with 100% red whole wheat. I used extra virgin olive oil for the vegetable oil and rolled directly onto a rectangular baking stone, using a piece of parchment paper on top. I used a pizza cutter to score into squares and pricked with a fork. The measurements given in the recipe were perfect, even with the 100% whole wheat variation. By the way, I made half a recipe and mixed it in the Pampered Chef Manual Food Processor. It was so easy and in no time, we had delicious crackers. This recipe is a winner and we will make this again and again. I’m eager to try it with Einkorn flour, as was mentioned by someone else in this post. Thank you, Stef, for all the hard work that went into creating this wonderful recipe!

• Organics Only April 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

I just tried this recipe. Next time, I will use salted butter or add the full tsp of salt. But the real trick is in rolling the dough out very thin. I will also use my mixer instead of the food processor because by the last roll out, the dough was getting tough. Still, they were very tasty! I’m enjoying them with peanut butter and grape jelly!

77. godrej city panvel April 18, 2014 at 11:36 am #

Often, these apartments have a parking space or garage.

But if your modified adjusted gross inhome is less
    than $100,000, you can use up to $25,000 in losses on
    a rental property to offset other taxable income including earned income,
    such as your salary or wages. There’re so many upscale
    shopping centers and malls, restaurants, theaters, clubs,
    spors venues, hking trails and other recreational opportunities.

78. Reeva May 27, 2014 at 3:39 am #

Just found this recipe and tried it, its great! Biscuits are so light and tasty :) thank you!

79. Ivy Manning June 4, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

HI
    Cute pictures. If you have a thing for crackers, you really ought to check out Crackers and Dips (Chronicle 2014), it’s full of cracker recipes and spreads! You also might try adding barley malt syrup to your own unique recipe, it really adds a lot of buttery, toasty flavor.

80. Christina June 5, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

Thank you for all your trial and error! Some lucky people will be the recipients of all your hard work. I promised to make home made Kit Kat bars (organic and boycotting Nestle products…land grabs, water rights etc.)…

Where was I…right…so I’m looking all over the internet and Pinterest for genuinely home made Kit Kat recipes that might allow for the most to be made from scratch. I found the perfect homemade butterscotch recipe, graham cracker recipe and finally, crispy buttery crackers…those were the hardest to find! I can already tell that they are exactly what I was looking for! A million thanks!

81. Aurora June 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm #

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles
    or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site.
    Reading this information So i’m happy to convey that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed.
    I most certainly will make sure to don’t forget this site and give it a look regularly.

82. google chromecast July 9, 2014 at 6:39 am #

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Your website offered us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be
    thankful to you.

83. Let's Play Chibi-Robo July 18, 2014 at 6:02 am #

If yoir uup tto it on your enchantment poins stop inn
    and buy anothe level of Enchantment. There is a red eyed knight on thks level that is far too strong too try
    to melee your first time here, butt you can take him out with a magic user by attacking then walking back annd attacking again and
    repeating tll he’s dead. Children under the age off ten don’t
    really need tto chat.

1. Healthy Way To Cook Recipe: Homemade Cheez-Its - April 11, 2013

[...] Ritz crackers (via Cupcake Project) Quinoa “Doritos” (via Bon Appetit) Peanut butter cups (via Brown Eyed Baker) Almond Joy bars (via Joy the Baker) Fig Newtons (via Brown Eyed Baker) [...]

2. Homemade Ritz Crackers | thehaysfamilyadventures - April 12, 2013

[...] or even 1/3 of what you want your end height to be with the crackers. They will rise a lot. On the cupcakeproject website they mentioned someone used a pasta roller to get it thin an even. It doesn’t have to [...]

3. Home-made Saltine and Ritz-like Crackers | A Mom's Life in Evanston, IL 60201 - April 22, 2013

[...] Cupcake Project – Homemade Ritz Crackers [...]

4. Q is For Quince | Cupcake Project - April 27, 2013

[...] is the soul mate to the salty/buttery cheese.  Although the duo doesn’t need a chaperone, a homemade Ritz cracker makes the perfect delivery mechanism for popping the paste and cheese into your mouth – [...]

5. Homemade Oyster Crackers | Cupcake Project - May 29, 2013

[...] double for the real thing.  Why make homemade oyster crackers?  I make homemade oyster crackers, homemade Ritz crackers, homemade graham crackers, and homemade Oreo cookies because it’s fun to do and it gives me [...]

6. Buying Crackers v. Making Crackers - Homesteading Today - May 31, 2013

[...] Wheat Thins: http://www.traceysculinaryadventures…eat-thins.html Ritz Crackers: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/0…rs-recipe.html Saltines (aka Soda Crackers): http://grandmaw.proboards.com/index….play&thread=18 Vegetable [...]

7. Homemade Ritz Crackers | My Food Storage Cookbook - June 5, 2013

[...] don’t buy them often.  Making a knock-off at home would be awesome!  I really appreciate  Stef over at Cupcake Project, for her many (many) trial runs in developing the recipe I launched from [...]

8. Peanut Butter Cookies | Ridha's Kitchen - June 24, 2013

[...] again. And I was wondering if ritz crackers will work well, so I began to google the recipe. And here is where I got the recipe from. The only thing left is the filling. That’s [...]

9. Chocolate Bourbon Bacon Jam Recipe | Cupcake Project - August 6, 2013

[...] jam is the dark and moody cousin of bright, cheery fruit jams.  Slather bacon jam on burgers, crackers, toast, sandwiches, over maple ice cream, or use it the the surprise dessert recipe that I’ll [...]

10. Homemade Ritz Crackers Recipe - September 27, 2013

[...] Source [...]

11. Make your own Crackers, Tortillas and English Muffins–and save LOTS of money at the Grocery Store! | The Welcoming House Blog - October 1, 2013

[...] For the Ritz Crackers Fans   TORTILLAS [...]

12. biscuits Ritz maison | Meilleur avec du beurre - October 12, 2013

[...] Je me suis donc mise à la recherche d’une recette maison qui me permettrait de me sustenter tout en sachant exactement ce que je mangeais. J’ai trouvé ce que je cherchais sur le blogue Cupcake Project. [...]

13. Biscuits Ritz maison - Meilleur avec du beurre - November 3, 2013

14. Daring Bakers 07-12: crackers | Sabor Pastel - November 28, 2013

[...] I used a recipe from Cupcake Project. It’s pretty straightforward but there’s something you need to have in mind: crackers [...]

15. a little bit of everyday | this is a work in progress - December 14, 2013

[...] I made another batch of homemade ritz crackers. [...]

16. The Giant List Of Homemade Food Gifts Anyone Would Love To Receive - December 16, 2013

[...] Salty Candied Nut Mix. There are also a bunch of cracker recipes. Parmesan and Thyme, Wheat Thins, Ritz, Cheddar and Parmesan, White Cheddar and Dill, Multigrain, Cheese, Graham and Hazelnut.  Happy [...]

17. Plastic-Free Ritz Crackers | Tidal Creek Coop - January 6, 2014

[...] of my favorite blogs to drool over– The Cupcake Project– posted a recipe for Homemade Ritz Crackers!!!!!!  Obviously, we made [...]

18. Grilled Peach and Chipotle Salsa | A Spicy Perspective - February 4, 2014

[...] do not make my own salty crackers, graham crackers, or animal crackers. Although I’m VERY impressed by people who do; I have [...]

19. Homemade (mini) Ritz Crackers | Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body - February 19, 2014

[...] Recipe adapted from Cupcake Project [...]

20. Carrot Pineapple Marmalade in Homemade Cracker Cups | Grass Potato - April 20, 2014

[...] Ritz crackers were the perfect companion for it.   Conveniently, months ago I had pinned a Homemade Ritz Cracker Recipe from Cupcake Project.  There was nothing more to look for.  I just hit the [...]

21. Provence and Tapenade on Crackers | hep-i-book'a - June 3, 2014

[...] Ritz Cracker adapted from http://www.cupcakeproject.com will make a packet-full of chewy crackers ready for you to spread some salty olive paste [...]