Sour cream frosting is the obvious choice for sour cream cupcakes. This sour cream frosting is based on a basic vanilla bean buttercream frosting. However, instead of using milk in the frosting, the sour cream frosting uses sour cream.
Even if you are not a fan of sour cream, you still may enioy the sour cream frosting. The sour cream flavor is subtle. It adds a pleasant tang which helps to counteract the sweetness of the buttercream. Try it and let me know what you think!
Sour Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 C confectioners' sugar add more until it reaches your preferred consistency
- 1/2 C unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 t vanilla bean paste add more to taste
- 2 T sour cream
- Mix together sugar and butter until they are blended and creamy.
- Add vanilla bean paste and sour cream and continue to beat for another minute.
- If desired, add more vanilla bean paste to taste, or more confectioners' sugar to make it stiffer.