Moist Crumb Cake
This classic crumb cake is topped with big, fat crumbs!
Sometimes, crumb cakes lean towards dry and you need coffee to help each bite go down. Not so with this cake! Sour cream makes it super moist.
The flavor is spot on, too. It’s buttery and tastes like the winning combination of brown sugar and cinnamon.
One of my favorite parts of this cake is the cinnamon sugar swirl. It’s really easy to add – spread half of the batter in the pan, and then top with cinnamon and sugar.
Cover that layer with the second half of the batter.
Crumb cake would just be cake without the topping. People make crumb topping in many different ways, but my favorite topping is a mixture of melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and rolled oats.
I’ve done extensive testing and I’ve found that you can replace the sour cream with yogurt or Greek yogurt and not notice any difference. So, use whatever you have on hand.
I dust the cake with cinnamon when I’m done because I love the taste and look. Although the cake is quite sweet and doesn’t really need it, it also looks nice with a a dusting of powdered sugar or a simple glaze made of milk and powdered sugar.
This cake lasts about three days in an airtight container. But, you can also freeze it for months or freeze individual slices and bring to room temperature before enjoying.
Other Recipes for People Who Like Crumbs
Cinnamon Sugar Ingredients
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar same as 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- 6 tablespoons rolled oats same as 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
Cinnamon Sugar Instructions
- Mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients a little bit at a time until just combined.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 8" square cake pan.
- Spread cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the poured batter.
- Top with the remaining batter.
Crumb and Baking Instructions
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until large crumbs form.
- Top the batter with the crumbs.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Optionally, sprinkle with a little more cinnamon and dust with powdered sugar.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!