My hummingbird cupcakes with pineapple almond butter cream cheese frosting are among my favorite cupcakes. But, not everyone has almond flour, walnut oil, and golden syrup lying around (some of the key ingredients in that cupcake recipe). This hummingbird upside-down cupcake recipe presents a simpler alternative with the same show-stopper flavor combination of pineapple, pecan, and banana.
These hummingbird upside-down cupcakes take the best elements of hummingbird cupcakes and pineapple-upside down cake and marry them to create a new dessert that still feels like home. Rather than standing alone (as in the traditional pineapple upside-down cupcake), the pineapple in these cupcakes is joined by the hummingbird cake’s banana and pecan. The cupcake itself is a basic brown sugar spice cake with an added touch of cardamom – a nod to a classic spice found in hummingbird cakes.
Hummingbird Upside-Down Cupcakes
- ½ of a large banana cut into 12 thin slices
- 3 ounces finely chopped pineapple
- 12 pecans roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Place a banana slice in the center of the bottom of each silicone cupcake liner.
- Surround each banana with chopped pineapple and pecans, distributing the pineapple and pecans evenly between the 12 liners.
- Top the fruit and nuts with brown sugar, evenly distributing the brown sugar between the 12 liners.
- Top the brown sugar with melted butter, evenly distributing the butter between the 12 liners.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix brown sugar and butter until fully combined.
- Mix in egg until fully combined.
- Mix in vanilla and sour cream until fully combined.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture in three additions, mixing after each addition until just combined.
- Mix in milk until just combined.
- Divide the cupcake batter evenly between the prepared liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Remove cupcakes from liners and turn upside-down prior to serving.