Although I developed this stuffed French toast recipe with a traditional family Mother’s Day brunch in mind, it was the gaggle of gals in my book club that got to enjoy these stuffed French toast cupcakes – with wine, cheese, and crackers on a crisp evening in a friend’s yard. Most of the conversation that night centered around our lives as women and mothers (we were discussing The Awakening, considered to be one of the first feminist novels). Reflecting on the night, sharing Mother’s Day cupcakes with my peers while discussing motherhood seems like such a fitting way to celebrate the holiday – so much so that I am considering making Mother’s Day with friends a secondary tradition (I’m not giving up the family one, of course).
Whether you savor these cupcakes with your mom or any moms in your life, have a happy Mother’s Day!
Stuffed French Toast Cupcakes
Peach Filling Ingredients
- 9 ounces fresh, firm peaches chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 ounces mascarpone cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups soft bread packed
- Fresh whipped cream optional
- Edible flowers optional
Peach Filling Instructions
- In small pot on medium heat, add peaches and brown sugar.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly. The peaches should be coated in melted brown sugar and a lot of their liquid will have cooked off.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the mascarpone.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small pot on medium-low heat, heat sugar and butter until melted.
- Add water and continue cooking, stirring periodically, until sauce becomes thick and foamy. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Once the sugar mixture is cool to the touch, add to the mixing bowl and completely combine.
- Add bread to the mixing bowl, making sure that it is submerged in the egg mixture.
- Let the bread rest for 15 minutes to absorb the liquid.
- Spray cupcake liners with non-stick baking spray (or use silicone liners).
- Press a small layer of bread into the bottom of a liner.
- Scoop peach filling on top of the bread, filling almost to the top of the liner.
- Press another small layer of bread on top of the peach filling.
- Continue to fill the remaining liners as indicated above until all of the liners are full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve warm, optionally topped with whipped cream and edible flowers.