Chocolate buttercream is rich, decadent, and SO chocolaty! Plus, it’s easy to make with just a few ingredients!
This chocolate frosting is the chocolate version of my famous vanilla frosting.
Both frostings are a must in your arsenal of frosting recipes.
What Are the Ingredients in Chocolate Buttercream?
To make chocolate frosting, you’ll need:
- Butter – Choose unsalted butter so that you can control the salt content of your frosting.
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder – Just like in my chocolate cream cheese frosting, the cocoa powder that you choose can make a big difference in the end result of your frosting, both in terms of color and taste. Appearance-wise, if you choose a really dark cocoa powder, like Hershey’s Special Dark, the frosting will be much darker than a regular cocoa powder. The best cocoa powder to use entirely depends on your preference and to whom you are serving your baked goods.
- Salt – A touch of salt goes so well with the chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla extract – You might find it odd to have vanilla in chocolate frosting, but the vanilla actually enhances the chocolate flavor.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Frosting
Make sure that all of your ingredients are at room temperature.
Beat the butter in the chocolate buttercream for three full minutes with an electric mixer on high speed. This will incorporate lots of air into the frosting to make nice and light.
Experiment with adding 1/2 teaspoon of espresso powder to the frosting. The goal here is not to make a coffee frosting, but rather to use the little bit of coffee to intensify the chocolate flavor. You may not even taste the coffee.
How Long Does Chocolate Frosting Last?
This frosting lasts for up to a week at room temperature or months in the freezer.
If you’ve frozen it and are ready to use it, first bring it to room temperature and then mix it again for a minute or two before you start piping.
Best Recipes With Chocolate Buttercream
Chocolate buttercream is a great cupcake frosting, but it’s also wonderful on cakes and as a filling for cookies. Here are some of my favorite recipes to use it on:
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- German chocolate cupcakes
- Banana cupcakes
- Chocolate layer cake
- Chocolate orange cheesecake
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar add more if needed to get desired stiffness
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a handheld electric mixer, beat butter at high speed for three minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in cocoa powder.
- Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
- Mix in vanilla and salt.
- Pipe over or spread onto desserts.