After perfecting a cupcake recipe, don’t top it with this dulce de leche buttercream frosting. Your tasters will be so frosting-focused that they won’t notice the cake you worked so hard on. Save this sweet, salty, smooth dulce de leche buttercream frosting to top a cupcake gone bad – one that’s too dry, ugly looking, or one where the batter overflowed in the oven. With a simple swirl, your cupcake will be redeemed. Isn’t cupcake magic fun?
Dulce De Leche Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche choose from stove top cow's milk dulce de leche, cheater crock pot dulce de leche, or cajeta, Mexican goat's milk dulce de leche
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed for three minutes, until light and fluffy.
Mix in powdered sugar and salt until fully combined.
Mix in dulce de leche.
Spread or pipe on cooled cupcakes.
If you love dulce de leche, you’ll also love:
- Dulce De Leche in a Crock Pot (Just set it and forget it!)
- Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes (Perfect for Valentine’s Day!)
- Turn Your World Upside-Down with Dulce De Leche Flan (A fun twist on a classic favorite!)
- Banana Bread Cookies with Hazelnuts and Dulce de Leche (A great recipe from a great book.)
- Dulce De Leche Frosting (Also, how to fix a frosting mishap.)