Buttercream Frosting Recipe – Orange Frosting | Cupcake Project

Buttercream Frosting Recipe – Orange Frosting

This buttercream frosting recipe for orange buttercream frosting is sweet and tangy. I love how the little orange bits look in the buttercream frosting swirl. Orange buttercream frosting would be a great way to fancy up a plain vanilla cupcake. I sort of did that on my next cupcake, but with a surprising twist – stay tuned!
Orange buttercream frosting would also be great on mimosa cupcakes or with any clove cupcake.

Orange Buttercream Frosting Recipe

The orange buttercream frosting is a Cupcake Project original recipe.

Buttercream Frosting Recipe – Orange Frosting

Yield: It should frost about 12 cupcakes, depending on how much you use.

Buttercream Frosting Recipe – Orange Frosting

• 1/2 C (1 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 3 oz (about 1/3 C) orange marmalade (try to find one with orange bits in it)
  • 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1 T heavy cream
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 t orange extract

1. Beat butter until creamy.
  2. Beat in marmalade.
  3. Beat in powdered sugar.
  4. Add heavy cream and extracts.
  5. Taste and smile.

5 Responses to Buttercream Frosting Recipe – Orange Frosting

1. Wheeler's Frozen Dessert June 30, 2008 at 9:49 am #

That frosting looks awesome!

2. viv June 30, 2008 at 10:09 am #

This frosting looks and sounds yummy. Will give it a try.

3. Lisa June 30, 2008 at 1:01 pm #

Lovely summer frosting! I can just taste the tangy citrus. And on Clove Cupcakes? That sounds like a wonderfully exotic combination.

4. Paper Girl Productions July 4, 2008 at 8:04 pm #

oo this looks delicious! I must try this!

5. Katie P July 30, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

My son loves oraange and cupcakes – I will have to make some!!

6. Anonymous August 4, 2008 at 5:18 am #

i’m baking with my friend right now lol i am looking for a cup cake icing that can be quick – i was hoping to be able to do this but as im only 14 im unable to get the ingrediants in time .. the icing looks extremely yummy however.

7. Stef August 6, 2008 at 12:04 pm #

Anon – Bummer. Maybe you’ll be able to give it a try next time.

8. Anonymous July 31, 2009 at 8:05 am #

You’ve got to be kidding me…! This frosting is absolutely delicious!!!! I had to come back and give you a standing ovation. Oh my God delicious. It uses almost half of the sugar I normally use for buttercream so I thought is was going to be runny, but it was perfect and stayed in the cake. I also used a mermelade I found in Harris Teeter of Orange-Champagne…. I felt I was in an island eating cake. Awesome girl. Thanks. I can’t wait to try other mermelade flavors. THANK YOU!
    Viviane

9. Stef July 31, 2009 at 8:12 am #

Viviane – Thanks so much! I’m so glad to hear that you loved it! Orange-champagne marmalade sounds incredible!

10. AmandaLP March 2, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

I know this is old, but I made this today, with a little extra powdered sugar, and some melted chocolate, for a chocolate orange marmalade frosting :) It was delicious!

11. julieA November 27, 2010 at 6:25 am #

This frosting is delicious! I doubled the recipe and used it to frost a 2 layer gingerbread cake…will be repeated for our Christmas Eve dinner this year! mmm

12. Alan April 11, 2011 at 7:29 am #

I’ve been looking for a lemon butter cream for about a week now, and did a sample batch using 1/3 cup (plus 2 heaping tablespoons) of lemon curd and subbing out the orange extract for lemon and it was awesome. I can’t wait to try recipe as is. Thanks, Stef!

13. Anonymous October 27, 2011 at 10:42 am #

looks great!

14. Lisa Montalva February 25, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Fabulous and delicious Buttercream/Orange frosting. Using it tonight on my chocolate cake. Just makes it pop. Thank you!

15. Diana September 27, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

This frosting is just a little bit of Heaven! I used 2% milk instead of cream, because I didn’t have any. Turned our so yummy! It takes like an orange dreamsicle! Thanks for sharing!