Easy Bostock Recipe
Bostock is a cross between French toast and an almond croissant. It’s an easy to make, unforgettable breakfast treat made with leftover bread, almond syrup, and almond cream (frangipane).
While I’m a sucker for overnight baked French toast and its bread pudding-like consistency, Bostock somehow feels more gourmet. It’s sticky, sweet, has a bit of a crunch, and must be served directly out of the oven.
The frangipane required for this recipe sounds fancier than it is. It’s simply an almond spread made with almond flour, vanilla, eggs, butter, and sugar. It comes together in under five minutes!
For a classic bostock, use a thick slice of day-old brioche. However, any leftover bread you have on hand will do. I’ve even made it with hamburger and hot dog buns!
The recipe begins by making a simple almond syrup (flavored with almond extract). It’s very important to dip the bread really well in the syrup. I dip both sides more than once. The bread should be dripping with syrup!
You can make the syrup and frangipane up to a week in advance and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them. I like to make a big batch of frangipane and use some on a bakewell tart and the leftovers for breakfast bostock.
It takes about 30 minutes for bostock to bake, and you’ll know it’s done when the bread and the almonds are just beginning to brown.
Serve immediately. But, if you have leftovers, reheat them in a toaster oven just before serving.
While bostock is pretty perfect as it is, you can try adding some curd or jam or drizzling with ganache after the bake if you want to make it even fancier.
Also, as I mentioned above, you can experiment with different types of bread. Try it with crumpets, English muffins, or challah.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
Almond Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 4 slices of brioche cut thickly
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Beat butter and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Mix in almond flour.
- Mix in egg.
- Mix in the vanilla, all-purpose flour, and salt until just combined.
Almond Syrup Instructions
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, bring all ingredients to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let sit until cool enough to touch.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Dip each piece of brioche into almond syrup, flipping the bread to get both sides. Dip long enough to saturate the bread, but not so long that it gets soggy and falls apart.
- Spread a thick layer of frangipane on one side of each slice.
- Top frangipane with a generous amount of sliced almonds.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bread and almonds begin to brown.
- Serve immediately or store in covered containers and toast to warm just before serving.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!