Easy Baked Apple Slices in a Waffle Iron
One of my favorite ways to serve apples to to bake them in a waffle iron! They take just one minute to make and they are super healthy!
When the apples come out of the waffle iron, they are hot, soft, and chewy. We eat them immediately!
You will need an apple, a little sugar, and cinnamon (optional).
You will also need a waffle iron to make this recipe.
Some of my favorite apples to use are:
- Granny Smith
Choose an apple that is nice and crisp. You don’t want one that will turn into mush when baking. For a more complete list of apples, check out Bon Appetit’s article on the best apples to bake with.
How It’s Made
Preheat your waffle iron.
Slice apples in rings to just over 1/4″ thick.
Dust with cinnamon and sugar. The baked apples are good on their own, but they are even better with cinnamon and sugar.
Always make sure to grease your waffle iron. You can use a non-stick baking spray or simply run a butter stick over the hot waffle iron.
Place one apple slice in each section of the waffle iron, close, and bake for one minute. There is no need to flip.
Expert Tips and FAQs
I found that both the regular and the deeper Belgian waffle irons [paid link] work well for waffle iron baked apples.
Yes! Try this same technique with pineapple (as an alternative to candied pineapple).
If your apples are nice and sweet, you can leave off the sugar.
For a special treat, try drizzling them with caramel sauce or dusting with powdered sugar.
Baked Apples in a Waffle Iron
- 1 apple sliced into rings just over 1/4" thick
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- Heat waffle iron.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Optionally rub both sides of apple slices with sugar and cinnamon. This isn't necessary (the apples are plenty sweet), but it does make them look better because the sugar caramelizes and the cinnamon just works perfectly with apples.
- Place one apple slice in each section of the waffle iron.
- Close the waffle iron and cook for about a minute or until the apples look waffled.
- Repeat until you are out of apple slices. Serve warm.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!