These dessert nachos have been fan favorites for many years! They are crunchy funfetti cookies with a meringue dip (you can use marshmallow fluff if you want to save time), diced strawberries, and chocolate chips. Get creative and add chocolate sauce, Nutella, caramel, or whatever else you can dream up! Touchdown!
The dessert nachos are even adorable without the accoutrements.
But, I say, “Load ’em up,” for a perfect game day or Super Bowl dessert.
Tip for Making The Best Dessert Nachos
The key to making dessert nachos is to bake cookies with a little curve. (I’ve never seen flat nachos – those wouldn’t be good for scooping.)
You don’t need anything special to get nacho cookies to curve.
Simply roll aluminum foil into tubes, place on a cookie sheet, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and drape triangle shapes of cookie dough over the tubes.
Crunchy Funfetti Cookies for Dessert Nachos
I use Arnhem cookies for this project. They are thin, crispy cookies that are made without sugar. Traditionally, they get their sweetness from being rolled in sanding sugar, but I switch it up and roll the dough in rainbow nonpareils to make super crunchy funfetti cookies.
Baking doesn’t get much more fun that this! Watch out, though, those little suckers like to roll everywhere!
The Dessert Nachos Dip
There are many options for the dip for your funfetti cookies. Some ideas are:
- Meringue (recipe below) – This is very similar to my marshmallow frosting.
- Marshmallow fluff
- Chocolate ganache
- Strawberry sauce
- Caramel sauce
Consider these toppings or anything else that sounds good to you:
- Chocolate chips
- Macerated strawberries
- Mini marshmallows
- Candy bar pieces
- Candied nuts
Funfetti Dessert Nachos
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 6 ounces rainbow nonpareils
- 3 large egg whites I highly recommend using pasteurized eggs for this recipe since the meringue is not cooked.
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- diced strawberries to taste
- chocolate chips to taste
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together flour, milk, yeast, and salt until stiff.
- Cut the butter into four pieces and mix them in one piece at a time, beating for a full minute between each addition and an additional three minutes after the last addition. The dough should look smooth and satiny.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl that gives it a little room to rise, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 275 F.
- Sprinkle a work surface liberally with rainbow nonpareils as you would flour.
- Divide dough in half and place one half on the nonpareils and the other half back in the refrigerator.
- Place some more rainbow nonpareils on top of the dough and roll the dough out to 1/8" thick. Add more rainbow nonpareils to the top of the dough and also lift the dough and add more to the bottom as needed to fill spaces that don't have many or simply to keep the dough from sticking.
- Use a pizza wheel or a knife to cut the dough into triangles.
- Roll sheets of aluminum foil into logs and place on cookie sheets.
- Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Drape dough triangles over foil logs.The dough doesn't expand much in the oven, so the cookies can be very close together.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the cookies have puffed up slightly and are a light brown color (these take a little longer to bake than Arnhem cookies because the cookies aren't directly touching the cookie sheet).
- Cool on a cooling rack.
- Place eggs and cream of tartar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat at high speed until frothy.
- Lower speed to medium and add sugar a little bit at a time.
- Increase speed again and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Serve funfetti dessert nachos in a large bowl or plate with the meringue in the middle and strawberries and chocolate chips scattered all around.