Ultimate Vanilla Cake Recipe | Cupcake Project

Ultimate Vanilla Cake Recipe

vanillacake

You guys love your Ultimate Vanilla Cupcakes!  That post has over 400 comments, most of them talking about how it’s one of the best vanilla cupcake recipes ever.  It’s definitely my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe and I’ve used it as a base recipe for countless other cupcake recipes.

Since I posted the Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake recipe two years ago, I’m asked about converting the Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake into the Ultimate Vanilla Cake at least twice a month.  Readers always want to know how much cake the recipe makes and if anything needs to be changed about the recipe when converting it to the Ultimate Vanilla Cake.  I don’t make cakes; I make cupcakes.  After years of saying, “Sorry, I’m not really sure,” I decided to turn to a cake baking expert for some help.  Today, I’m letting the incredible Amanda of iambaker take over Cupcake Project to finally answer your questions and to share her experience converting my vanilla cupcakes to vanilla cake.

Thank you so much, Stefani, for letting me hang out in your beautiful online home today! I am honored to have been able to contribute some insight into your Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake recipe because, seriously, it is amazing! Stefani thought it would be a great idea to convert her world-famous recipe into the Ultimate Vanilla Cake recipe and I can’t help but think that is brilliant.

vanillacake1

On my blog, iambaker, I make a lot of cakes. I have tried more vanilla cake recipes then I care to admit and have only been truly satisfied a few times. I would definitely rank this recipe as one of the best vanilla cakes I have ever had!

I didn’t make any changes to Stefani’s recipe because, really, why mess with perfection?  But, I do have some tips to use when converting the cupcakes to a vanilla cake:

• Right after step number 8 in the instructions (beating the eggs into the flour mixture), I recommend scraping the stand mixer bowl. I didn’t the first time I made this and had a significant amount of unmixed flour and lumpy butter.
  • The recipe yields about 3 1/4 cups of cake batter. So, I divided the batter into two 8-inch round cake pans, using just over 1 1/2 cups per pan. While a perfect dome is essential in a cupcake recipe, it’s not always the best result for a cake maker. I adore this recipe so much that I didn’t want to waste one single crumb, so I used a number of tricks to help create a level cake. Every trick, that is, except leveling the cake with a knife. Did I mention that I didn’t want to waste a single crumb? In the end there was still a slight dome, but that is easy enough to work with.
  • I baked the cake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes in my convection oven. I recommend checking the cake at 18 minutes; simply insert a toothpick into the cake and if it comes out clean the cake is done. Make sure the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan as well.
  • Allow cakes to cool to room temperature in the pan, then invert onto a wire rack.
  • Since this cake has such a beautiful fine crumb, I chilled my layers prior to frosting. If the cake is too soft when applying frosting, it can tear and crumble. I wanted to avoid that at all costs with this masterpiece!

vanillacake2

All in all, I would say that this is a fantastic and delicious cake. Thanks so much for your generous hospitality, Stefani!

31 Responses to Ultimate Vanilla Cake Recipe

1. Tenns @ New Mama Diaries October 20, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Delicious looking cake! I’ve already pinned and can’t wait to try out!

2. Paula October 21, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Made her cupcakes last weekend for a wedding shower. Soooo yummy!

3. Clara October 22, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

That looks absolutely delish!! Going to try this very soon…your food photography is superb :)

4. TracyG October 23, 2013 at 8:36 am #

I USED to think a vanilla cake from the box was the best because I was never satisfied with any of the recipes I tried. But not any more! I love this recipe! It is better than any box mix!

5. Brandon October 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Great Blog!!! Please support my friend :D

6. Jerri-Linn October 31, 2013 at 10:54 am #

My cousin taught me that to level the cake without a knife, just use paper towels when it comes out of the oven and simply press the cake down using the paper towels while it is still in the pan.

7. kirihara November 30, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Where is the recipe? All I see is the cupcake one not one for the cake for the correct measurements…

• melodiva January 26, 2014 at 1:56 am #

She uses stefanis recipe, just gives a few tips for baking :)

8. Gabby January 10, 2014 at 9:01 am #

Cake this cake be used with fondant, or will it collapse under the weight of the fondant?

9. Gabby January 10, 2014 at 9:02 am #

Can this cake be used with fondant, or will it collapse under the weight of the fondant?

10. Cooper's Mom January 26, 2014 at 8:57 am #

Can you substitute all purpose flour for cake flour? If so, would it change the taste and/or texture? Also, would the flour measurement be the same? Thank you so much! I find vanilla to be boring, but have someone requesting vanilla cupcakes. I’m excited to give these a try :)

• Cristina February 18, 2014 at 3:15 pm #

Yes, you can substitute cake flour with all purpose flour. For every 1 cup of all purpose flour, take out 2 TBSP and add 2 TBSP of corn starch. Make sure to sift it a few times (I sift mine at least three times). The only thing I’ve noticed I’d that if it isn’t sifted enough it doesn’t seem as tender.

Hope this was helpful. Happy baking.

11. Ingrid Bravo February 19, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

Hola, este pastel se ve muy bueno, pero donde encuentro la receta? Gracias.

12. Natalia February 21, 2014 at 5:37 am #

I used the substitute but my cake just turned out like a flan/ pancake, I’m really disappointed, expected much better!

• Ana C June 19, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

Very disapointed, the worse cake I have ever baked, it cracked and not fully cooked in some areas.

13. Natalia February 21, 2014 at 5:38 am #

14. Natalia February 21, 2014 at 5:38 am #

15. Young Baker March 5, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

is there a cake version of the ultimate chocolate?

• Stef March 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

No, but there should be! Got to get on that. I’m sure you could just bake it as a cake though.

16. Emma March 10, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

I used this as a base to make a Minecraft themed cake for my boyfriend, it turned out so nicely and was delicious! Thanks for the recipe. You can see it on my blog here: http://emsie-lou.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/minecraft-birthday-cake.html

• Shalena March 26, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Did it hold up well under fondant?

17. Shalena March 26, 2014 at 7:08 am #

Does it hold up well under fondant?

18. john April 1, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

no doubt!
    the ultimate vanilla cake!

easily design and order super cool photo cakes – online!

19. Rosa June 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm #

I did it for my granddaughter birthday and it was unbelievable good the star of the birthday very very good I wish I could addl the picture.
    Thank you for the recipie.
    A+
    Rosa

20. Tracey June 23, 2014 at 8:06 am #

Found this a very frustrating cake to make. Out of 6 x 2 bakes 4 x 2 dunked in the middle. I bake vanilla cake for clients so can’t use this recipe any longer. Its too much of a hit and miss situation.

21. Sarah July 3, 2014 at 4:57 pm #

Question, I don’t have whole milk just 2%. How will it affect the cake and is there anything I can do to substitute the whole milk?

• Stef July 6, 2014 at 11:34 am #

That will work just fine. I’ve even used soy milk.

22. Hilary July 17, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

Hi! Has anyone used this recipe for a wedding cake? I’m making a two-tiered (10″ and 8″ with 4 1″ layers each) vanilla cake and am wondering if this is sturdy enough to hold up without supports!
    Thanks!

23. shafia October 1, 2014 at 10:59 pm #

Hi there the recipe sounds good i want to try but cannt find d ingredient page

Thanks
    shafia

24. Teresa Ochoa October 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

What a lovely cake! I love anything vanilla, so does my hubby, I’m thinking for his birthday, thx!

25. Sweet Baked November 9, 2014 at 5:30 pm #

I baked this cake three times this weekend and still not happy with it. I do not have a convection oven so I had to guess on the time. It never worked well. It was either over cooked, undercooked, or heavy as a brick. Very sad. Also, is it supposed to be whole eggs or egg whites. I used whole eggs as the recipe did not say egg whites, and my cakes looked like yellow cakes.