Ultimate Vanilla Cake Recipe

Ultimate Vanilla Cake Recipe

Share:

vanillacake

You guys love your Ultimate Vanilla Cupcakes!  That post has over 400 comments, most of them talking about how it’s one of the best vanilla cupcake recipes ever.  It’s definitely my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe and I’ve used it as a base recipe for countless other cupcake recipes.

Since I posted the Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake recipe two years ago, I’m asked about converting the Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake into the Ultimate Vanilla Cake at least twice a month.  Readers always want to know how much cake the recipe makes and if anything needs to be changed about the recipe when converting it to the Ultimate Vanilla Cake.  I don’t make cakes; I make cupcakes.  After years of saying, “Sorry, I’m not really sure,” I decided to turn to a cake baking expert for some help.  Today, I’m letting the incredible Amanda of iambaker take over Cupcake Project to finally answer your questions and to share her experience converting my vanilla cupcakes to vanilla cake.

Thank you so much, Stefani, for letting me hang out in your beautiful online home today! I am honored to have been able to contribute some insight into your Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake recipe because, seriously, it is amazing! Stefani thought it would be a great idea to convert her world-famous recipe into the Ultimate Vanilla Cake recipe and I can’t help but think that is brilliant.

vanillacake1

On my blog, iambaker, I make a lot of cakes. I have tried more vanilla cake recipes then I care to admit and have only been truly satisfied a few times. I would definitely rank this recipe as one of the best vanilla cakes I have ever had!

I didn’t make any changes to Stefani’s recipe because, really, why mess with perfection?  But, I do have some tips to use when converting the cupcakes to a vanilla cake:

• Right after step number 8 in the instructions (beating the eggs into the flour mixture), I recommend scraping the stand mixer bowl. I didn’t the first time I made this and had a significant amount of unmixed flour and lumpy butter.
  • The recipe yields about 3 1/4 cups of cake batter. So, I divided the batter into two 8-inch round cake pans, using just over 1 1/2 cups per pan. While a perfect dome is essential in a cupcake recipe, it’s not always the best result for a cake maker. I adore this recipe so much that I didn’t want to waste one single crumb, so I used a number of tricks to help create a level cake. Every trick, that is, except leveling the cake with a knife. Did I mention that I didn’t want to waste a single crumb? In the end there was still a slight dome, but that is easy enough to work with.
  • I baked the cake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes in my convection oven. I recommend checking the cake at 18 minutes; simply insert a toothpick into the cake and if it comes out clean the cake is done. Make sure the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan as well.
  • Allow cakes to cool to room temperature in the pan, then invert onto a wire rack.
  • Since this cake has such a beautiful fine crumb, I chilled my layers prior to frosting. If the cake is too soft when applying frosting, it can tear and crumble. I wanted to avoid that at all costs with this masterpiece!

vanillacake2

All in all, I would say that this is a fantastic and delicious cake. Thanks so much for your generous hospitality, Stefani!

42 comments on “Ultimate Vanilla Cake Recipe”

1. Delicious looking cake! I’ve already pinned and can’t wait to try out!

2. Paula says:

Made her cupcakes last weekend for a wedding shower. Soooo yummy!

3. Clara says:

That looks absolutely delish!! Going to try this very soon…your food photography is superb :)

4. TracyG says:

I USED to think a vanilla cake from the box was the best because I was never satisfied with any of the recipes I tried. But not any more! I love this recipe! It is better than any box mix!

5. Brandon says:

Great Blog!!! Please support my friend :D

6. Jerri-Linn says:

My cousin taught me that to level the cake without a knife, just use paper towels when it comes out of the oven and simply press the cake down using the paper towels while it is still in the pan.

7. kirihara says:

Where is the recipe? All I see is the cupcake one not one for the cake for the correct measurements…

8. Gabby says:

Cake this cake be used with fondant, or will it collapse under the weight of the fondant?

9. Gabby says:

Can this cake be used with fondant, or will it collapse under the weight of the fondant?

10. Cooper's Mom says:

Can you substitute all purpose flour for cake flour? If so, would it change the taste and/or texture? Also, would the flour measurement be the same? Thank you so much! I find vanilla to be boring, but have someone requesting vanilla cupcakes. I’m excited to give these a try :)

• Cristina says:

Yes, you can substitute cake flour with all purpose flour. For every 1 cup of all purpose flour, take out 2 TBSP and add 2 TBSP of corn starch. Make sure to sift it a few times (I sift mine at least three times). The only thing I’ve noticed I’d that if it isn’t sifted enough it doesn’t seem as tender.

Hope this was helpful. Happy baking.

11. Ingrid Bravo says:

Hola, este pastel se ve muy bueno, pero donde encuentro la receta? Gracias.

12. Natalia says:

I used the substitute but my cake just turned out like a flan/ pancake, I’m really disappointed, expected much better!

13. Natalia says:

14. Natalia says:

15. Young Baker says:

is there a cake version of the ultimate chocolate?

16. Emma says:

I used this as a base to make a Minecraft themed cake for my boyfriend, it turned out so nicely and was delicious! Thanks for the recipe. You can see it on my blog here: http://emsie-lou.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/minecraft-birthday-cake.html

17. Shalena says:

Does it hold up well under fondant?

18. john says:

no doubt!
    the ultimate vanilla cake!

easily design and order super cool photo cakes – online!

19. Rosa says:

I did it for my granddaughter birthday and it was unbelievable good the star of the birthday very very good I wish I could addl the picture.
    Thank you for the recipie.
    A+
    Rosa

20. Tracey says:

Found this a very frustrating cake to make. Out of 6 x 2 bakes 4 x 2 dunked in the middle. I bake vanilla cake for clients so can’t use this recipe any longer. Its too much of a hit and miss situation.

21. Sarah says:

Question, I don’t have whole milk just 2%. How will it affect the cake and is there anything I can do to substitute the whole milk?

22. Hilary says:

Hi! Has anyone used this recipe for a wedding cake? I’m making a two-tiered (10″ and 8″ with 4 1″ layers each) vanilla cake and am wondering if this is sturdy enough to hold up without supports!
    Thanks!

23. shafia says:

Hi there the recipe sounds good i want to try but cannt find d ingredient page

Thanks
    shafia

24. Teresa Ochoa says:

What a lovely cake! I love anything vanilla, so does my hubby, I’m thinking for his birthday, thx!

25. Sweet Baked says:

I baked this cake three times this weekend and still not happy with it. I do not have a convection oven so I had to guess on the time. It never worked well. It was either over cooked, undercooked, or heavy as a brick. Very sad. Also, is it supposed to be whole eggs or egg whites. I used whole eggs as the recipe did not say egg whites, and my cakes looked like yellow cakes.

26. Madison says:

I’m going to try making this cake this weekend for a birthday party. I have a regular oven, so I’m going to try it in the 2 pans at 375° for 22-25 minutes. I’ll try to remember to post about how they turn out.

27. manny says:

Made the cake using two 8″ pans. Each cake yielded only 1″. Both cakes had a slight bump at the top even using some old towels to wrap the pans during baking. However, the problem was resolved by pressing gently on the bump areas with my hands during the cooling stage. It was somewhat dense but moist. Will definitely use the recipe again.

28. Leora says:

Hello,

I am thinking about making these for my daughters birthday party.

Were having a bunch of guests so I was actually thinking about making cupcakes but also the cake on the other link.

1. Can I make just one recipe and double it and use half for the cakes and half for the cupcakes? or do you recommend me making them separately.
    2. I am planning on using the frosting, but I want to completely cover the whole cake with mini colorful sprinkles. Will that taste okay?
    3. How many people does the cake itself feed?

THANKS!!
    waiting for a reply!

Leora

29. leora says:

Me again! Question, Can I make the frosting ahead of time? Can I use artifical vanilla instead of the cake and frosting? When you say you chilled the cake after applying the crumb coat, can you do that overnight?

Thanks!

Leora

30. Amy says:

Wanting to make this into a 13×9. Anyone know how long I should bake?

31. Aucourant says:

I’ve revisited this cake many times and I like the tenderness and flavour of it but it has two distinct problems: the surface of the cake is strange and dimpled, not smooth like e.g. a Victoria sponge Second, it takes about 27-28 minutes to be fully done. It could be because I use bake-even strips around the cake tin. Nonetheless, I’ll continue to use this recipe because it’s a lovely cake.

• Aucourant says:

And for the person who asked if the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake can be used as a cake recipe: Yes! I’ve been using it. Makes 2 eight-inch cakes in about 28 minutes (with my bake-even strips).

32. The photos of this cake are simply divine! I’m inspired to bake this as soon as I get home.
    I’ve tried other recipes and have been a bit disappointed. I blamed myself, thinking I needed more experience. I think I just need the right recipe!

On a side note, I’ve included this recipe in a blog post I wrote recently. I needed an example of great cake recipes, and this one fit the bill.

33. Sunethra says:

i want to make this cake for my grand daughter 1year birthday. Looks beautiful and yam my thanks