Brown Sugar Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe | Cupcake Project

Brown Sugar Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe

Melt brown sugar with butter, add a touch of milk, thicken the mixture with chunky peanut butter and you’ve got brown sugar peanut butter frosting that’s ready to pile on cupcakes or cakes.  I put my brown sugar peanut butter frosting on a chocolate cupcake (I’ve been working on an ultimate chocolate cupcake recipe – more details soon), but a vanilla cupcake or banana cupcake would work just as well. Brown sugar frosting is one of my top ten favorite frostings and this variation is definitely going to go into regular rotation.

OXO Good Grips Cupcake Icing Knife

Spreading frosting with a butter knife doesn't do the job nearly as well as a frosting knife does.  If you'll be frosting a lot of cupcakes, it's worth the $10.

View on Amazon.com

Brown Sugar Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe

Julia from ShoeStringBean recently left a comment on my brown sugar frosting recipe saying, “This is very similar to my grandma’s brown sugar frosting, but we always thicken it with peanut butter instead of powdered sugar.”  I had used peanut butter to thicken buttercreams, but I had never tried it with brown sugar frosting.  I immediately added brown sugar peanut butter frosting to my must-try list – I’m so glad I did!  Here’s my recipe:

Brown Sugar Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe

Yield: Enough frosting to cover 36 cupcakes

Brown Sugar Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • somewhere between 2 and 3 cups chunky peanut butter

1. Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium-high heat.
  2. Add the brown sugar and bring to a boil.
  3. Lower heat to medium low and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Add the milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
  5. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
  6. Gradually mix in peanut butter. Add just enough peanut butter to make the frosting spreadable.
  7. Spread on cooled cupcakes.

Peanut Butter?

Long time Cupcake Project readers will recall that I have had a rule against baking with peanut butter.  Since I was a kid, I always hated peanut butter.  Lately, something CRAZY has happened.  I have started to like peanut butter.  It began with the nuts themselves.  I was at one of those restaurants where you eat shelled peanuts and throw the shells on the ground.  I didn’t want to miss out on the fun and, surprisingly, I enjoyed the taste of the peanuts – not just making a mess with the shells.  Next, I found myself happily noshing on airplane peanuts.  Most recently, Jonathan made me a grilled cheese sandwich with peanut butter and bananas and I LOVED it.  It looks like I’m not alone in my changing tastes; when I posted about this on Facebook, many of you chimed in with foods that you have learned to love.  Head over to the Facebook page to add your story to the mix.

19 Responses to Brown Sugar Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe

1. Oilseeds Exporter June 11, 2012 at 4:39 am #

Yummy dish. This is looking great & it will taste awesome. Peanut is my favorite. I love to have cocoa powder & coconut also in my puddings & cookies.

• Lester @ CupcakeIdeasForyou.com June 11, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Its true, melted brown sugar with peanut butter frosting is one of the best frosting ever. You can also sprinkle it with pop rice to add more crunchy on the frosting.

2. CariElf June 11, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Would natural peanut butter work as well as something like JIF? I pretty much only buy JIF to bake with these days, but if they’d work just as well with natural peanut butter, I’d prefer to use that.

• Stef September 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

So delayed on responding this.. sorry. But, yes, I always use natural peanut butter!

3. Steph@PlainChicken.com June 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Oh my! That frosting looks amazing!!

4. Leslie June 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Would it be wrong for me to want to live off of that frosting???

5. Betty June 13, 2012 at 8:10 am #

I am curious about the quantity of peanut butter in the recipe,which is 2-3 cups. That’s a lot of peanut butter, yet the directions specify to add “just enough peanut butter to make the frosting spreadable”. Could it be that the correct quantity is 2/3 cup, not 2-3 cups?

• zipper13 September 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

No, in earlier comments, it was stated that yes- you do use a ridiculous amount of peanut butter. A.K.A. 2 to 3 cups.

6. Julia Hayes June 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

You nailed it! That’s almost exactly Gramma’s, only she was from an “oleo” era, and she just wrote “peanut butter”, so we’ve just always had to eyeball it. :)
    In reply to Betty, you can use less peanut butter, according to your taste, you’ll just have to whip it longer to get it to set up, or it’s perfect for pouring on a bundt cake!

7. Debra Kapellakis June 14, 2012 at 6:42 am #

Here I am again thinking why didn’t I think of this, lol! BRILLIANT!

8. Susan Chau June 15, 2012 at 2:41 am #

I don;t know if my cusine courage is enough to try my skills with frosting- I stick to simple muffin recepies, foremost, and my children simply adore them- I put some bananas, chocolate chops and nuts and I can imagine tyheir glittering eyes on the sight of this temptation.

9. Susan Chau June 15, 2012 at 2:41 am #

10. Susan Chau June 15, 2012 at 2:41 am #

11. Fancy July 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

This looks amazing. Glad I found your blog, I’m from St. Louis too!

12. Marina Favalaro September 2, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Just made them and omg are they delish!!!! Thanks for sharing!

13. Anonymous September 23, 2012 at 10:02 am #

what is correct amount of peanut butter? 2-3 cups or 2/3 cups?

14. Stef September 26, 2012 at 11:22 am #

It’s somewhere between two and three cups. Not 2/3 cup.

15. Jules July 22, 2013 at 8:12 am #

These look amazing, how do you store this frosting once made? is it best to have the cupcakes/muffins in the fridge in hot weather?

• Stef September 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Yes, if it’s really hot I’d store them in the fridge. If it’s in AC, you can keep them out on the counter.