These cream cheese cookies are as close to cheesecake as cookies can get! Drizzle them with a heavy dose of awesomeness (chocolate and caramel sauce) to create turtle cheesecake cookies!
What Makes These Cream Cheese Cookies Special?
Most cream cheese cookies contain more butter than cream cheese so they end up tasting more like a butter cookie that happens to be made with some cream cheese.
My original recipe – heavily adapted from Brown Eyed Baker’s Oreo Cheesecake Cookies – is the only cheesecake cookie recipe that I’ve seen that contains more cream cheese than butter.
These turtle cheesecake cookies have the texture of soft batch chocolate chip cookies with a strong cheesecake flavor!
How to Make Cream Cheese Cookies
First, make sure that all of your ingredients are at room temperature. As with cream cheese frosting, the cream cheese won’t mix in as well to these cookies if it is straight from the refrigerator.
Mix butter and cream cheese until they are just combined. Don’t overmix or the cream cheese can become gummy.
Mix in sugar and vanilla until combined and then add the flour. That’s it – the cookie dough is done!
Scoop balls of the batter onto a parchment- or Silpat-lined cookie sheet. Press down on each batter ball to flatten the top.
Bake at 375 F for 12-15 minutes. You’ll know the cookies are done with they start to brown around the edges.
Turtle Cheesecake Cookies Variation
To make your cookies into turtle cheesecake cookies, press a few pecans into the top of each cookie before baking.
When they are done baking and have cooled to room temperature, drizzle them with chocolate sauce and caramel sauce.
You can turn any cheesecake flavor into a cream cheese cookie using this batter.
One of my favorite cheesecakes is my chocolate orange cheesecake and you can recreate that in cookie format by adding chocolate chips and orange zest to the batter.
Try a mocha version (like my Greek yogurt cheesecake) by adding a little espresso powder and melted chocolate to the batter.
Cream Cheese Cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans optional
- chocolate syrup optional, for drizzling
- caramel syrup optional, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until fully combined.
- Mix in sugar and vanilla.
- Mix in flour until just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or your fingers to make balls of dough roughly two tablespoons each on a parchment- or Silpat-lined cookie sheet. Space the cookie balls about an inch apart. Of course, you can make the cookies bigger or smaller if you prefer.
- Use your palm to flatten the top of each dough ball.
- Optionally, press as many chopped pecans as desired into the flat tops of the balls.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies just begin to brown.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- Once cool, optionally drizzle with chocolate syrup and caramel syrup.
- Don't forget to share.