Recipes Using Leftover Cake, Overbaked Cake, or Stale Cake
You have overbaked cake, a stale cake, or simply leftover cake that you don’t want to eat. Now what? Don’t throw it out! There are so many ways to use the cake up – from puddings to cake pops.
I don’t like letting leftovers go to waste! I have recipes for leftover cornbread, I turn leftover frosting into cookies, and leftover cake is not going to waste either – even if the cake is stale or overcooked.
Tips for Using Leftover Cake
- Most recipes using leftover cake start with cake crumbs. Be sure to read the recipe closely to see if it calls for large crumbs or small crumbs before moving forward.
- If you aren’t ready to use the cake right away, you can freeze cake crumbs in a freezer bag until you are ready to use them.
- If the cake has frosting on it, scrape off all of the frosting first. Use any frosting that doesn’t have crumb bits in it to make frosting cookies.
- If the cake is burnt, scrape off the top burnt part before using the overbaked cake for other recipes.
- If the cake is dry, don’t worry about it at all. Most of the recipes for leftover cake add lots of moisture to the cake, so you’ll be fine!
These recipes breathe new life into your stale, overbaked, or leftover cake and your guests will be none the wiser. Enjoy!
Cake Truffles and Pops
Mix your dry cake with some frosting, roll it in a ball, and decorate it and you have adorable cake truffles - just add a stick to make cake pops! They make great party favors!
Cake Bread Pudding
Use cake instead of bread to make a sweet and delicious bread pudding using any cake - even one you overcooked!
Leftover Chocolate Cake Cookies
Use your leftover chocolate cake, or any cake, to make these cookies!
Turn any flavor cake or cupcakes into croutons by dehydrating it in the oven or a dehydrator. Serve the croutons as part of dessert fruit salad!
Birthday Cake Shake
Leftover birthday cake is perfect for a birthday cake shake! It's a totally decadent freak shake and totally fun!
Lemon Pound Cake French Toast Skewers
You can have your cake for breakfast when you turn it into French toast! This works really well with pound cake.
Cake Crumb Pie Crust
Just as you would make a pretzel pie crust by crushing up pretzels, a graham cracker crust by crushing graham crackers, and an Oreo crust by crushing Oreos, you can use cake crumbs to make a cake crumb pie crust.
Cake trifles are a refreshing summer dessert. Cut your leftover cake into circles with cookie cutters and layer the cake pieces with whipped cream and other toppings.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!