You have overbaked cake, a stale cake, or simply leftover cake that you don’t want to eat. Now what? Don’t throw it out! There are so many ways to use the cake up – from puddings to cake pops.
I don’t like letting leftovers go to waste! I have recipes for leftover cornbread, I turn leftover frosting into cookies, and leftover cake is not going to waste either – even if the cake is stale or overcooked.
Tips for Using Leftover Cake
- Most recipes using leftover cake start with cake crumbs. Be sure to read the recipe closely to see if it calls for large crumbs or small crumbs before moving forward.
- If you aren’t ready to use the cake right away, you can freeze cake crumbs in a freezer bag until you are ready to use them.
- If the cake has frosting on it, scrape off all of the frosting first. Use any frosting that doesn’t have crumb bits in it to make frosting cookies.
- If the cake is burnt, scrape off the top burnt part before using the overbaked cake for other recipes.
- If the cake is dry, don’t worry about it at all. Most of the recipes for leftover cake add lots of moisture to the cake, so you’ll be fine!