Today, I overbaked a cake on purpose (eek!). This was so much harder than doing it accidentally. My brain kept saying, “I must save the cake!” but I resisted because I know that all of us overbake cakes from time to time. I wanted to show you a simple way to turn your overbaked, dry, or even stale cake (or cupcakes) into something spectacular.
First, fill up a ramekin with pieces of dry cake -about 3/4 full.
Then, top the overbaked cake with melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. If you’d like, you can throw on some oat crumb topping. Next, bake it!
When it comes out of the oven, it looks like a fruit crisp.
But, dig into it and you’ll find that it tastes just like bread pudding (or maybe chocolate bread pudding, coffee bread pudding, or whatever flavor of cake you overbaked). In fact, this bread pudding is so tasty that you might want to overbake your cake on purpose!
Cake pudding breathes new life into your bad cake and your guests will be none the wiser. Enjoy!
How to Fix Overbaked Cake
Cake Pudding Ingredients
- ramekin filled 3/4 full with dry cake broken into pieces I used 4" x 2.6" ramekins.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- Berries to taste
- Whipped cream to taste
Cake Pudding Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pour melted butter over ramekin filled with cake.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and cinnamon until combined.
- Pour over cake.
Oat Topping Instructions
- Use your hands to mix all ingredients until they come together to form coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over cake.
Baking and Garnish Instructions
- Bake ramekin on a cookie sheet (in case it bubbles over) for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm and top with berries and whipped cream.
Looking For Another Use for Overbaked Cake?
In an earlier post, I wrote about how to make cake or cupcake croutons. They are great to throw into a fruit salad!