Chocolate Whiskey Cake
What’s better than chocolate cake? Chocolate cake covered in decadent whiskey sauce! My recipe is light, airy, easy to make in just one bowl, and totally addictive!
This cake would be great with any topping, but the the whiskey sauce makes it extra special. There’s even a little whiskey in the batter to give the cake itself a hint of that flavor.
This recipe uses mostly basic baking ingredients. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you gather them:
- You can replace the sour cream with any plain yogurt. This substitution always works well.
- You can use any type of cocoa powder you’d like. Use a darker cocoa powder if you prefer that flavor.
- Don’t waste your money on an expensive whiskey for the batter. Any cheap whiskey will work. If you don’t want to use the whiskey at all, you can use water instead – but it will affect the flavor of the cake.
- I highly recommend my whiskey sauce recipe for topping the cake, but you can use any recipe you like (or even substitute a store-bought or homemade butterscotch or caramel sauce).
How It’s Made
This whole recipe comes together in one bowl. You can mix by hand in a large mixing bowl or use a stand mixer as shown in the photos.
Start by mixing together all of the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Mix in eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, melted butter, and vegetable oil.
Mix in whiskey and water.
Important: To keep the cake from sticking to the Bundt pan, grease the pan thoroughly and then dust with flour. You can also mix a little cocoa powder into the flour before dusting to play up the chocolate flavor.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 310 F for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack.
When the cake is cooled, drizzle with whiskey sauce.
Expert Tips and FAQs
Yes! Try it with any alcohol you love the taste of!
Make sure that you grease and flour the pan extremely well. Greasing alone is not enough for a Bundt cake.
Store for up to four days in an airtight container at room temperature. If you aren’t going to be eating right away, freeze the cake before adding the sauce, defrost, and add the sauce before serving.
- Jamaican rum cake
- Whiskey sauce
- The best chocolate cupcakes
- Decadent flourless chocolate cupcakes
- Butterscotch sauce
Chocolate Whiskey Cake
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 6 tablespoons whiskey
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup whiskey sauce
- Preheat oven to 310 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, oil, and melted butter.
- Mix in whiskey and water.
- Grease a 10" Bundt pan and dust liberally with flour. (You can also add a little cocoa powder for flavor when dusting the pan.)
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on the counter for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack,
- Once completely cool (about 1.5 hours), top the cake with whiskey sauce.
- Store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!