After hearing that I was going to bake buffalo chicken cupcakes for a Super Bowl party, one of my friends asked if I would be baking the cupcakes as as a joke. “Are they just supposed to be funny, or will you actually enjoy eating buffalo chicken cupcakes?” Having not yet baked the Super Bowl buffalo chicken cupcakes, I told them that I was baking them mostly for the fun of it.
When my house started to smell like buffalo wings (there was no chicken involved at this point), I knew I had the flavor right. I didn’t expect the cupcakes to taste particularly good, but I slowly began to suspect that I was going to like the buffalo chicken cupcakes when I took a lick of my cupcake batter-laden finger.
When I tasted the cupcakes hot out of the oven, I realized that I had created a new crowd-pleasing Super Bowl tradition. These cupcakes are also perfect to bring as a tailgating appetizer or to bring to a football party at any point during the season!
Answers to Your Super Bowl Buffalo Chicken Cupcake Questions
Are the buffalo chicken cupcakes sweet?
They are sweet in the way that cornbread is sweet. They have sugar, but they wouldn’t make a satisfying dessert. I classify these as savory cupcakes – with hot sauce and blue cheese in the cake and a blue cheese buttercream frosting.
Are buffalo chicken cupcakes a dessert or an appetizer?
I’d serve these savory cupcakes as an appetizer.
Is there chicken in the cupcake?
No, the chicken is just on top. You can leave it off if you absolutely must.
Are the cupcakes spicy?
Whether or not the cupcakes are spicy depends on which hot sauce you use. I used a medium hot sauce and they were just a tad bit spicy.
Is the blue cheese overwhelming?
Blue cheese can easily become an overpowering flavor. I put just enough blue cheese in the cupcake and frosting to give them some tang without making the whole thing taste like blue cheese.
Which team are you rooting for?
Since St. Louis no longer has a football team, I’m perpetually rooting for the Giants. I grew up in New York so they were the team my family always cheered for.
How to Present These Cupcakes
Just before serving, and to maximize the wow factor of these cupcakes, I recommend that you top them with buffalo chicken wings or buffalo chicken drummettes. Imagine the frosting as a sweet blue cheese dip and dig in!
Other Unique Football Food Ideas
I’ve developed a number of crowd-pleasing football and Super Bowl foods and desserts over the years – some are a bit crazy. A few of my favorites include:
- Deep Fried Brownie Football Hand Pies
- Cupcakes in Football-Decorated Eggshells
- Football-Shaped Seven Layer Dip
- Funfetti Dessert Nachos
Buffalo Chicken Cupcake Recipe
- 1/2 cup hot sauce I recommend a hot sauce that is typically used for Buffalo chicken. Frank's is the classic choice. I used Bella's Medium Wing Sauce.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
Blue Cheese Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan on medium-high heat, heat hot sauce and butter until butter is melted.
- Add the blue cheese and mix periodically until blue cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg.
- Once the hot sauce mixture is cool enough to touch, mix the sour cream mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- In another small bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold the flour mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Blue Cheese Buttercream Frosting Instructions
- Mix blue cheese on high speed until smooth.
- Add the unsalted butter and mix on high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.