Homemade Apple Chips in Fun Fall Shapes | Cupcake Project

Homemade Apple Chips in Fun Fall Shapes

Apple chips serve as lunchbox-ready snacks that are crispy (baked – not fried) and have just a touch of cinnamon and sugar.  Even store-bought apple chips are wonderful treats, but when you make homemade apple chips, you can not only control how much sugar you add (you don’t need to add much), but you can also make your homemade apple chips in fun shapes!

I used tiny harvest cookie cutters to cut my apple pieces into leaf and apple shapes. Using the apple cookie cutter was the literal version of the game Apples to Apples.

How To Make Homemade Apple Chips

Homemade Apple Chips in Fun Fall Shapes

Homemade Apple Chips in Fun Fall Shapes

• Any variety of apple that you like (two medium-sized apples will make about one large cookie sheet of apple chips)
  • Sugar, to taste
  • Cinnamon, to taste
  • Tiny cookie cutters

1. Preheat oven to 200 F.
  2. Slice the apples. But how?
  3. Everything that I read about making homemade apple chips said to cut the slices as thinly as possible. They even recommended using a mandoline. I tried the mandoline method, but found that the apple chips were too thin. They didn't provide the same satisfying crunch as the thicker apple pieces.
  4. I also tried using an apple peeler and corer to core and slice the apples. If you've ever worked with one, you know that you end up with apple rings with a missing center, like you see in the cookie cutter photo above. The thickness was perfect. However, the ring pieces were too narrow for the apple cookie cutter (they worked splendidly with the leaf cookie cutter).
  5. In the end, I found that the best way to slice the apples is by hand with a good kitchen knife (I swear by our Wusthof). Cut the apples about 1/8" thick (if it's a bit thinner or thicker, you'll still be fine, so don't worry about breaking out your ruler).
  6. Use the cookie cutters to cut the apple slices into shapes. Don't throw out the apple scraps! They make great chips too.
  7. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and fill with the cut out apples and the scraps - making sure that nothing is overlapping.
  8. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Although I didn't try it, I think these would even be good without sugar. Most varieties of apple are naturally sweet.
  9. Load the cookie sheet(s) into the oven.
  10. The bake time of your chips will depend on how thick your apple slices are. The paper thin apple chips that I made using the mandoline took about two hours. However, the other chips took almost six hours. Check on your chips every hour or so to see how they are doing (they like visitors). You'll see them transform from the baked apple stage to the chewy dried apple stage to the crispy apple chips that you are looking for. Once they start to get crispy, remove them from the oven and flip them. Sprinkle a little bit more sugar on the flip side and bake for one more hour.
  11. Store in a paper bag or any container that is sealed but not airtight (tightly-sealed containers will make them soggy).

Scraps are Pretty Too

Here’s the glam shot of the apple scraps turned into apple chips. It also gives you a sense of how pretty these apple chips would look even if you didn’t use the cookie cutters at all.

Don’t Be Shocked, But…

The apple chips also happen to look adorable on top of cupcake.

22 Responses to Homemade Apple Chips in Fun Fall Shapes

1. raquel erecipe September 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

Looks like a good, I like different cut very cute.I am glad you posted this.

2. Kaja R. September 8, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

They look so cute. Thanks for this idea :)

3. Manding. September 9, 2011 at 5:15 am #

how did you know the exact way to get me psyched for fall ? dying over here in this northeast flood zone! cannot wait to see your cupcakes! so a+ !

ps, http://amandamantes.blogspot.com !

4. Priya September 9, 2011 at 5:38 am #

Super cute chips..

5. Lora September 10, 2011 at 5:43 am #

So creative. Just love these…

6. Amanda September 10, 2011 at 7:34 am #

how many hours??? wow! that’s SUCH a long bake time…

7. rental mobil September 10, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

8. Karyn September 11, 2011 at 5:49 am #

Looks great for school and work snacks! Time is kinda like Meringue Cookies… you set it and forget it :)

9. Joy September 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

That is so cool.

10. moco February 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Im feel hungry now..
    mesin fotocopy| rental sound | rumah dijual | perlengkapan bayi | toko bunga | bengkel mobil | party organizer | parfum

11. Toko Bunga Nusantara April 2, 2012 at 5:46 am #

hmm….enak nya..dari gambarnya aja uda buat slera neh..thanks ya buat info nya..

12. Belitung April 24, 2012 at 2:22 am #

Makasi untuk resep nya..jadi laper neh…

13. Toko Bunga Medan May 28, 2012 at 10:32 am #

hai..Today I got a lot of information from your article .. I hope you continue to write articles that are beneficial to us all .. .. Greetings .. success for you ..

14. Jasa SEO Murah June 2, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Your post its verry good, creatif, Inspiration,,succes for you..greating..

15. toko bunga January 14, 2013 at 1:27 am #

Great picture, yummmy
    toko bunga
    tenda cafe

16. rumah September 26, 2013 at 5:03 am #

Appreciation for the good writeup. This in reality had been a new recreational profile the idea. Look difficult in order to significantly launched pleasant within you! In addition, how should we maintain a new correspondence?

17. toko bunga November 13, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Hi. Previously allow me to say thanks. I’m very happy come in here. After see this site of course I know this website is useless for me and of course i hope for other too. This content give me huge trick for my based activity or my work. Next I waiting for other information. A lof of thanks for allow me comment here.

18. Jasa Pembuatan Website April 25, 2014 at 11:24 am #

I have read most of them and got a lot from them I was just read your article that was really superb got much pleasure to read that post.

19. Jasa ABK Jakarta October 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

20. Jasa Pelaut Indonesia October 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information which i found very interesting to read.

1. Recipes :: Fall Fun for the Kids - September 15, 2013

[...] Tis the season for apples and love this tasty and healthy treat from Cupcake Project.  She uses fresh green apples, cuts fall shapes out of them and sprinkles sugar and cinnamon on them and bakes them.  You can’t get much healthier than this!  To read more go to: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/09/homemade-apple-chips-in-fun-fall-shapes.html [...]

2. Ode to Apples - April 10, 2014