Warm Cinnamon Milk
Warm cinnamon milk is so comforting on cold days. It’s perfect for kids and anyone who doesn’t want the caffeine of coffee or tea.
If you love cinnamon in your oatmeal or sprinkled over other hot beverages, it is definitely worth giving this drink a try.
There are only three simple ingredients that you will need: milk, cinnamon, and a sweetener.
You can choose any milk you like – even non-dairy milks. For the richest flavor, choose whole milk.
I’ve experimented with making this recipe with ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks. They both work, but ground cinnamon takes so much less time and actually produces a stronger flavor.
I like to use brown sugar as my sweetener – mostly because I when I’m drinking this, I’m looking for something different than my other winter favorite, hot milk and honey. However, if you want to add honey, maple syrup, agave, or white sugar, that all works too!
How It’s Made
Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan on medium heat and whisk until it starts to boil (about 5 minutes).
Then, pour into mugs. (This recipe is for two, but you can easily half it to just make a mug for yourself.)
You’ll notice that there is some cinnamon sludge left on the bottom of your pot. You can discard that. All of that wonderful cinnamon flavor has already been infused into your milk.
Dust your cinnamon milk with some more cinnamon and drink up!
Expert Tips and FAQs
Yes! Microwave for one minute, stir, and then microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring after each burst, until it comes to a boil. Be sure to cover whatever vessel you are microwaving in and watch it carefully because if it gets too hot, it will overflow and make a giant mess.
Sure! Try adding nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger.
Whisk rapidly just before pouring into the mugs. You can also use a frother [paid link].
- Warm milk and honey
- The best hot chocolate
- Hibiscus tea (Jamaica Drink)
- Cinnamon sugar cookies (to dunk in the milk)
- Zimtsterne (German cinnamon star cookies) (another great one for dunking)
Warm Cinnamon Milk
- 2 cups whole milk You can substitute any other milk you like.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus extra for dusting the mugs
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar Add more if you prefer a sweeter drink. This one has just a touch of sweetness.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small saucepan on medium heat until the milk begins to boil, about five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into two mugs, discarding any cinnamon sludge from the bottom of the pot.
- Dust the tops of each mug with a little cinnamon.
- Serve immediately.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!