The expression “Don’t judge a book by its cover” should never apply to cupcakes. While these mudslide cupcakes are tasty, their cover (a sweet Baileys Irish Cream whipped cream) is the exceptional part. In fact, several tasters said that they would have been happy to eat a big bowl of the whipped cream sans cupcake.
You’ll see in the video at the bottom of this post (if you are the video watching type) that Bride and Groom 3.0 found the mudslide cupcakes to be a bit dry. I say that if you have the cupcakes with a big bite of the Baileys whipped cream and perhaps a sip of coffee with some more of the whipped cream on top, you’ve got yourself a moist and memorable morning treat.
Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream Recipe
Mudslide Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream
- 2/3 C sugar
- 2 C flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3 T ground coffee your favorite kind
- 3/4 C unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C melted vanilla ice cream you could also make this with coffee or mocha ice cream
- 1/4 C homemade Kahlua store-bought would work just fine
- 1/4 C homemade Baileys Irish Cream store-bought would work just fine
- A little bit of chocolate for shaving on top optional
- 12 chocolate-covered espresso beans optional
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and coffee in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs, ice cream, Kahlua, and Baileys into the butter/sugar mixture until blended.
- Fold in flour mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
- Top with Baileys Irish Cream whipped cream (see above), shaved chocolate, and a chocolate covered espresso bean.
Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 C sugar
- 2 T homemade Baileys Irish Cream yes, store-bought would work just fine
- Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
- Mix in sugar and Baileys Irish Cream until just combined.