Mudslide Drink Recipe (Frozen Mudslide Cocktail)
The classic mudslide drink – whether frozen or traditional – is the perfect marriage of Baileys Irish Cream liqueur and Kahlua. Make the cocktail with homemade Kahlua and homemade Baileys Irish Cream for something extra special, or simply buy those ingredients at a store.
Making a Frozen Mudslide
The frozen mudslide drink recipe contains:
- Vodka – I opted for a classic, regular vodka, but you could use a vanilla or whipped vodka for some added sweetness if you feel like your Mudslide Drink needs it.
- Baileys Irish Cream – provides a deliciously creamy texture and undertones of whiskey mixed with both vanilla and chocolate.
- Kahlua – this coffee liqueur is made with coffee beans and rum and provides a delicious and distinct coffee flavor.
- Ice Cream – vanilla ice cream is the staple option, but you could go with chocolate or feel free to get even more creative with ice cream flavors.
How to Make a Frozen Mudslide Drink
- Start by measuring and pouring vodka, Baileys Irish Cream, and Kahlua into a blender.
- Add ice cream. (Yes, this is a lot of ice cream.) Using ice cream is what differentiates the frozen mudslide from the classic one.
- Blend on medium speed until completely smooth.
- Next, prepare each glass by drizzling chocolate syrup along its interior surface.
- Pour the blended drink into the prepared glasses.
- Garnish with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, chocolate sauce, and pieces of chocolate.
- Serve immediately.
Making a Classic Mudslide
You don’t have to use ice cream and make a frozen mudslide recipe. You could also go for a more traditional version, which still has a sweet and creamy texture. The classic mudslide drink contains:
- Baileys Irish Cream
- Heavy Cream – provides some of the rich creaminess that would’ve been provided by the ice cream in a frozen mudslide.
Steps to Making a Classic Mudslide Drink
- Start by measuring and pouring vodka, Baileys Irish Cream, and Kahlua into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Add heavy whipping cream.
- Put the top on the shaker and shake vigorously until cold.
- Strain into glasses.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate and serve immediately.
Mudslide Variations and Inspiration
- If you’re lactose-intolerant, you can still enjoy mudslide cocktails! Replace the ice cream or heavy cream with a non-dairy alternative and use Baileys Almande instead of Baileys Irish Cream.
- For a fall-appropriate version of this cocktail, blend in some pureed pumpkin and make a frozen pumpkin mudslide.
A frozen mudslide combines Baileys Irish Cream with Kahlua and vodka and blends it all together with sweet vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert cocktail!
Don’t be fooled by the sweet flavor of the mudslide, it combines vodka with two types of liqueur! A typical mudslide is about as strong as a margarita, or around 29 or 30 ABV.
Absolutely, the Kahlua is made with real coffee beans and therefore adds a kick of caffeine to this cocktail.
Kahlua is a coffee liqueur made with coffee beans and rum. It has a strong and distinct coffee flavor and makes a delicious edition to vodka cocktails like this frozen mudslide.
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend on medium speed until smooth.
- Prepare glasses by drizzling chocolate syrup along their interior surfaces (optional).
- Pour frozen mudslide cocktail into glasses.
- Optionally garnish with chocolate shavings, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and chocolate pieces (or anything else you want to use).
- Drink immediately.
- Replace the vanilla ice cream with 3 oz of heavy cream.
- Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into glasses.
- Top with chocolate shavings and serve immediately.
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!