How to Make Pixie Sticks
If you love pixie sticks, you can now learn the secret to making them yourself! Homemade pixie sticks are just as good as the store-bought ones. You can make them in any fruit flavor you like using only two ingredients!
What Are Pixie Sticks?
Pixie sticks (the store-bought ones are sold as Pixy Stix [paid link]) are a powdered sugary candy served in straws.
To eat one, you rip the straw open and pour the candy into your mouth.
Why Make Homemade Pixie Sticks?
Any homemade candy (like homemade salt water taffy, homemade jelly beans, and homemade sour patch kids) has advantages over its store-bought counterpart. Homemade pixie sticks are no exception:
- You control the sugar amount. You could even use artificial sweeteners if you prefer.
- You control the flavor. You can make pixie sticks in any fruit flavor or combination of fruit flavors that you like. The ones shown above are strawberry rhubarb.
- By using cute paper straws [paid link], your pixie sticks can match your party decor.
How to Make Pixie Sticks
To make pixie sticks, you’ll need freeze-dried fruit powder in the flavor(s) of your choosing. You can buy many flavors of freeze-dried fruit and food process them to make powders – or even make homemade fruit powder.
Use a coffee grinder to combine fruit powder and sugar. You can also use a food processor, but the filling won’t be as finely ground.
Fold over the bottom of a paper straw and use a tiny funnel or a rolled up piece of paper to pour the mixture into the straw. Then, fold over the top of the straw.
Because you are using natural ingredients, your homemade pixie sticks won’t be as brightly colored as the store-bought ones. If this bothers you, you can experiment with adding a few drops of food coloring to the mix.
Pixie Sticks Flavor Ideas
The most popular Pixy Stix flavors are listed below. You can make homemade versions of all of them using real fruit. Keep in mind that the taste won’t be exactly the same because you are using natural flavors rather than artificial ones.
- Grape (use freeze dried grapes [paid link])
- Cherry (use all-natural cherry powder [paid link])
- Orange (use all-natural orange fruit powder [paid link].)
- Blueberry (use freeze-dried blueberries [paid link])
- Strawberry (use freeze-dried strawberries [paid link]. These can be found at Trader Joe’s.)
Homemade Pixie Sticks
- 2 teaspoons fruit powder any flavor or combination of flavors
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Whizz fruit powder and sugar together in a coffee grinder until fully combined. (You can also use a food processor, but it won't be as finely ground.)
- Fold over the bottom of a paper straw.
- Pour powder into the straw until almost full, leaving room to fold over the top. I used a rolled up piece of paper to do this, but you could also use a small funnel.
- Fold over the top of the straw.
- Hand to someone and wait for their smile!
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!