Baked Couscous Poppers
These baked couscous poppers are brown and crispy on the outside, but become an exciting avalanche of tiny couscous balls in your mouth. The couscous poppers are simple to make (just bake cooked couscous mixed with eggs, breadcrumbs, cheese, and spices). You can vary the cheeses, spices, and accoutrements to suit the occasion:
- After-school snack: Mozzarella cheese, basil, garlic, and a tomato or ketchup dipping sauce
- While watching the game: Cheddar cheese, chili powder, and a mustard dipping sauce
- Dinner party: Smoked gouda, sea salt, chives, and barbecue sauce
- Whatever you dream up!
Baked Couscous Poppers
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounces uncooked couscous You can use plain couscous or boxed couscous that comes with a flavor packet that you like.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs I used panko, but any breadcrumbs would work.
- spices to taste
- 1 3/4 cup shredded cheese Use any kind you like.
- In a small saucepan on high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Stir in couscous.
- Immediately remove from heat. Cover and let sit for five minutes.
- Remove cover, fluff couscous with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Once couscous is cool, mix in eggs, 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, spices, and cheese.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat [paid link].
- Roll couscous mixture into balls.
- Roll the balls in the remaining half cup of breadcrumbs. It won't seem like they are very solidified. That's OK. The balls will get a crunchy protective layer when they bake.
- Bake for thirty minutes or until the balls are lightly browned on the outside.
- Serve warm.
The blog Bellicious Kids made a pan-fried version of couscous poppers. I used that recipe as a starting point for mine. I typically prefer baked over fried, but I think I may be in the minority on that.
Regular readers will notice that, unlike most of my other photos, this one is overlaid with text. I’m experimenting with making that a regular part of photos on this blog. If you have an opinion about text on photos, join in the conversation on the subject that’s taking place over in the Cupcake Project Facebook community.
Obviously, couscous cupcakes are coming soon!
Join my mailing list - and receive a free eBook!