Cupcakewurst | Cupcake Project

Cupcakewurst

What would happen if, instead of stuffing a sausage casing with meat (or meat substitute), you stuffed it with cupcake batter?  I had to try!

I baked them and ended up with chocolate cupcake sausage – Cupcakewurst.

I couldn’t leave well enough alone, though:

That’s right, I threw the Cupcakewurst on the grill!  I kept them on there for just a minute or two on each side to heat the cake up.

But, a sausage needs a bun and some ketchup…

…so I stuck the Cupcakewurst inside of a Long John doughnut (a big, long doughnut) and squirted some raspberry topping over it.

Welcome to BBQ season!

How to Make Cupcakewurst

It took a lot of experimentation to conquer Cupcakewurst.  I had hoped to be able to cook the Cupcakewurst entirely on the grill, but I found that the direct heat of the grill was more than the poor sausages could handle – they kept exploding and meeting their demise on the coals.  I had the same problem in the oven: when I cooked the Cupcakewurst at the standard cupcake baking temperature of 350 F, they kept bursting open.  I finally found the sweet spot of baking at 325 F and only filling the casings halfway.  Even so, some of the casings still got small holes in them during baking.  At 325 F, however, the cake cooked enough before the casings broke that only a small amount of batter oozed out through the holes.  The small mess could easily be wiped up and the sausages were all usable.

This was my first time working with sausage casing and I found it to be really fun!  It’s a cross between a giant slippery noodle and a condom.  It’s stretchy and (comments above about it popping in the oven aside) fairly hard to accidentally break.

Ingredients:

• Edible sausage casing for as many sausages as you’d like to make.  You’ll need 12 inches of casing for each sausage.  If you ask your local butcher, they should be able to tell you where to buy casing.
  • Cupcake (or cake) batter (about a 1/4 cup of batter per sausage).  You can use any flavor you’d like.  Wouldn’t it be fun to use a red velvet cake and get more of a hot dog kind of look?
  • Long John doughnuts for the buns (make sure that they aren’t filled).  You should be able to find these at most doughnut shops, or you can try your hand at making homemade Long John doughnuts.
  • Raspberry sauce for the ketchup (I mashed raspberries and then heated and thickened them with some corn starch and sugar.)

Directions:

1.  Begin by prepping the sausage casing.  I found the video below to be extremely helpful in explaining that process.

2.  Measure and cut off 12 inches of casing.

3.  Tie one end of the casing into a tight knot.

4.  Fill a sandwich bag or pastry bag with cupcake batter and cut a small hole in the end (no need to use a pastry tip).

5.  Stick the pastry bag into the open side of the casing and work the casing partially up the bag.

6.  Hold the casing in place with one hand and squeeze the pastry bag with the other hand, filling the casing half full.  If you push all of the batter to one side of the casing, the batter should take up five inches of the casing (I know that five isn’t half of twelve, but remember that some of the casing is taken up with knots).

7.  Squeeze out any air bubbles and tie off the other end of the casing.

8.  Place the sausage on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.  Spread the batter out in the casing so that it is evenly distributed.

9. Fill and tie off all of the remaining sausages.

10.  Bake for 15 minutes at 325 F.

11.  Flip the sausages and bake for another 15 minutes.

12.  Remove from the oven.  If any of the sausages burst open, wipe off (and eat) the cooked cupcake batter that spilled out.

13.  Refrigerate until it’s time for your BBQ (ideally within 3 days of making the Cupcakewurst).

14.  When it’s time for dessert at the BBQ, make sure that the grill is not scorching hot.  Cook each Cupcakewurst for two minutes on each side to warm (if the grill is too hot or if you keep them on for too long, the casings will burn and tear).

15.  Serve warm on Long John doughnuts with raspberry sauce.

70 Responses to Cupcakewurst

1. Laura - elims2376 May 17, 2012 at 7:54 am #

You amaze me with your ideas sometimes! Nice job!!

2. Nick (Macheesmo) May 17, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Thanks for the link and also… HOLY COW!

This is the most amazing thing I’ve seen in awhile. Nice work!

3. Maybelle May 17, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Can’t wrap my head around it. I would be expecting sausage and getting cake! Kind of like expecting ice cream and it’s really mashed potato. Cool idea but I wonder if I would have issues. Only one way to find out :)

4. Carlita May 17, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Definitely not the prettiest-looking thing, but I’ve gotta hand it to you on the creativity – off the charts! Nice job. Love that you went all out with the ‘buns’ and ‘ketchup’! :)

5. Anonymous May 17, 2012 at 11:41 am #

That’s disgusting. Baking fail.

6. Kalen - Kentucky Cupcake May 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Holy hell as creative as this is – it’s so gross! hah. I wouldn’t be able to eat it, especially with the casing. *die* eeeee

7. Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking May 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

Haha this is amazingly weird and wonderful at the same time. LOVE the idea. Fantastic creativity. Totally digging the doughnut bun and raspberry sauce as the ketchup!

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

8. Nicki K. May 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

This is so perverse, it’s almost good… or is it the other way round? Anywho: I don’t see myself, in any universe, time, or place, ever thinking something like this up! Chapeau for your creativity!

9. Kamaile May 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

very interesting. This would be fun for April Fool’s.

10. Rima May 17, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

wow this is sooo interesting… i giggled but in awe at the same time!!!

11. Joe W May 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Red velvet cake mix and you have a chorizo… sorry cake-rizo.

12. flicka47 May 18, 2012 at 12:45 am #

Fun idea!! Definitely going to have to try it!

Made me think though,for some reason I thought you were going to boil the “sausages”… what is that dark, heavy cake(pudding, bread?)that you boil in a can?( my grandmother used to make it for Christmas) That might be an interesting variation on these.

• Stef May 18, 2012 at 5:44 am #

Nope… that post is about my recipe. :)

13. Ailyn Sanchez May 18, 2012 at 6:31 am #

You are so creative…love this one, and agree with Joe about the chorizo and the red velvet. congratulations and thank you for sharing!

14. Anonymous May 18, 2012 at 8:35 am #

But you haven’t told us how it tastes?! Does the sausage casing give off any flavor of its own or compromise the flavor of the cupcake? That would be my concern. Other than that — totally awesome!!

• Stef May 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

You can’t really taste the casing. It just tastes like chocolate cake.

15. Anonymous May 18, 2012 at 9:44 am #

“Sweet Morcilla” classic dessert…

16. Anonymous May 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I’d rather a sausage muffin, please comply.

• Stef May 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Maybe one of these days. :)

17. Eric May 19, 2012 at 9:13 am #

if you put less raising agent does it make them not burst?

• Stef May 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

That’s a great question. I didn’t try it. I bet a flourless chocolate cake (which doesn’t rice much at all) would work really well. Let me know if you try it!

18. Anonymous May 19, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Dumb. You can’t put a cupcake in a sausage casing. It is no longer a cupcake. The ‘cup’ in cupcake refers to it’s shape. This is sausage cake. NOT sausage cupcake. Stupid.

• sj May 20, 2012 at 11:36 am #

TROLL

• Lulu May 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

ITS shape, not IT’S shape.

19. Anonymous May 20, 2012 at 3:34 am #

I’d lose my appetite if the cake I was about to eat was wrapped in intestine…

• Manto May 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

I assume you’ve never eaten a pastry with lard in it, either, then? Or a suet duff? You poor soul!

• Anonymous May 22, 2012 at 10:12 am #

How narrow-minded, calling somebody a poor soul for never having eaten an outdated dish..there are many ways to be ‘rich’, supposedly old person

20. Anonymous May 20, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Creative clever! Nice!
    w o http://www.comodista.com
    w o http://www.facebook.com/comodista

21. Manto May 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Coming soon; the 3-kinds-of-sausage dinner party! Charcuterie, then cassoulet, and then Sweet, sweet saus-cakes!

22. Debra Kapellakis May 21, 2012 at 5:37 am #

That is hysterical and looks like blood sausage!

23. Anonymous May 21, 2012 at 5:44 am #

This looks absolutely disgusting. Way to ruin cake AND sausages.

24. hopelesslyhopeful May 21, 2012 at 7:58 am #

How delightfully creative

25. Anonymous May 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

it looks like a turd

26. Julie B. May 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Marge makes Dessert Dogs for a cooking competition. Cookie dough hot dogs, meringue buns and dessert topping condiments. These look extra weird and awesome at the same time. I love it!

27. jetspeaks May 22, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Did you use intestines or synthetic casing? This would solve a dispute I am having about this post. :D

28. Lauren - Hippie Dog Company May 22, 2012 at 8:24 am #

This is, hands down, the most creative recipe I have EVER seen! You are incredibly inventive. I pinned it. :)

29. MommyNamedApril May 22, 2012 at 9:58 am #

i can’t get over all the trolls. LOL, how silly. looks like a fun idea to me.

30. Sassy May 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

OMG, that is so gross and still I laughed myself silly. ;)

31. Sylvia May 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

My dear, ever helpful fiance suggests making a version of these with Spotted Dick.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick)

32. Rebecca Ednie May 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

The fact that it looks like a sausage is cool! I thinks is all neat except using a casing. Icky! If there was another way to cook it, it seems like fun! I have a silicone icecubes tray that makes long skinny icecubes so they fit In water bottles. That could be fun with flour less choc cake…

33. JC's Just Cakes Cupcakes Chocolates May 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Incredibly creative.. this is awesome for kids birthday treats and YES !!! Red Velvet would look amazing and on Dough nut Bun squeeze Cream cheese Yummmm…definitely A MUST TRY :D

34. Anonymous May 28, 2012 at 7:41 am #

so you really used intestine? Could I use something else, like do they have “fake” casings?How could I make it work for, a vegetarian? This is such a cool idea, & would be perfect for 4th f july, I’d love to do this for my fam if you could answer my Q’s! :) Thanks!-maise

• Stef May 30, 2012 at 5:13 am #

You can buy vegetarian sausage casings, you just might need to buy them online.

35. Paleo Girl June 6, 2012 at 7:32 am #

lol um i think some things need to remain in the sausage casings. Like sausage. No offense, I get the creativity, but you may be reaching here. They look like…well something else, that is the end result of if you eat too many cupcakes… no knocking your creativity AT ALL, but i think it’s not for me.

36. Anonymous June 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Congrats on the new “Two Girls and a Cup” props…

37. Anonymous June 12, 2012 at 8:04 am #

Looks completely disgusting. I totally understand being creative but this here…nope.

38. Anonymous June 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Why would you do this? It looks like feces. Wth

39. Kelsey Day June 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I tried a flourless chocolate cake in it today, but there is so much air from the whipped eggs, that it makes them either explode or they shrivel up into very unappetizing shapes. I tried many variations on cooking, but no luck. It sure was fun trying, though.

40. Anonymous July 18, 2012 at 11:13 am #

I’d use vegan casings personally. As for all the comments that it looks like a turd, that’s because it’s chocolate, and you’re an asshole. Also, trolling a cupcake website? Is that really the only thing you can fill your life with? I think that’s a ‘life fail’.

• Anonymous September 11, 2012 at 10:56 am #

Not everyone who thinks this is a bad idea is “trolling,” you know. A big part of enjoying food is its presentation. This is a creative idea, but it is visually disturbing. And that’s not even mentioning the intestinal casing…

41. Nicole July 23, 2012 at 9:44 am #

That is the most amazing and creative cupcake that I have seen.

42. Claiborne White September 8, 2012 at 7:19 am #

I truly appreciate the desire to experiment and expand the possibilities of what food can be. That being said, sometimes the end result is not the most appetizing, this may be one of those cases.

43. Anonymous September 11, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Agreed. This looks disgusting…

44. Leilah Earwood October 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

This is such a cool idea! As I was reading it I was thinking, passion fruit sauce is yellow, that could be the “mustard”!!

45. Anonymous January 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

This is disgusting. Why would you stuff an intestine with cupcake batter and then try to serve it to people? Just because it is a new idea doesn’t mean it is a good one.

• ouugg July 16, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

hahahhaha

46. Viv June 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

I’m all for creative and innovative ways to bake cupcakes. But using animal innards and any organs, and what-not… I’ll pass.

47. o July 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

It looks like dog crap

1. Seven Ridiculous Recipes to Cook on Date Night | Vimbly - April 17, 2013

[...] Cupcakewurst [...]

2. This Can Happen When You Have a Toddler Who Loves Dumplings | Cupcake Project - April 17, 2013

[...] shumai for dinner one night, it sounded weird – but who am I to stop someone with a weird food idea? We made homemade shumai together using leftover rib meat and mac n’ cheese.  Then, I [...]

3. Fall’s Best Scone Recipe – Scones Studded with Pumpkin Pie Spice Chips | Cupcake Project - April 17, 2013

[...] half of you told me you wanted scones!  I aim to please (except when I’m making things like Cupcakewurst), so I present you with my new favorite scones for [...]

4. BBQ Maple Syrup Cupcake Recipe | TidyMom - May 21, 2013

[...] Hi, TidyMom readers! I’m Stef from Cupcake Project, a food blog where I create new cupcake recipes (I have over 200 cupcake recipes!), a sprinkling of recipes for other baked goods and savory dishes, ingredient and technique spotlights, and baking-related product giveaways. My cupcakes range from basic (like the Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake) to downright bizarre (Cupcakewurst). [...]

5. Cupcakeworst - May 25, 2013

[...] Als iets op Neatorama, Boingboing, en Geekosystem vermeld wordt dan moet het wel briljant zijn. Dat is het. En tegelijkertijd zo voor de hand liggend: cupcakeworst. [...]

6. piggytummy » Blog Archive » Cake Hot Dogs - May 27, 2013

[...] in.  I googled so many ideas and I came across the Cupcake Project blog and found this beauty! Cupcakewurst.  I thought it was absolutely genius!  I messaged my BBQ partner the next morning thinking she [...]

7. Ting som ikke hører sammen – del 3 | Vero hater sosiale medier - June 9, 2013

[...] som ser ut som [...]

8. Graham Cracker Waffle Cones {Appreciation Post} | Cupcake Project - September 12, 2013

[...] that he focused on the costumes and not say, cucakewurst!  But, it also makes me want to do another costume post.  Any [...]

9. The new cupcake? 10 sweet treat trends | Mum's Grapevine - September 24, 2013

[...] Source: cupcakeproject.com [...]