Strawberry Banana Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Strawberry Banana Cupcakes

These strawberry banana cupcakes came to life for two reasons:

1. Strawberry banana is my favorite yogurt flavor and I wanted a cupcake that went with Greek yogurt frosting.

2. The farmers’ market was flooded with amazing looking fresh strawberries!

The strawberry banana cupcakes were my kind of cupcake – moist, dense, and not overly sweet. My only disappointment with them was that they tasted too much like banana cake. While you could taste the strawberry, the flavor wasn’t as prominent as I would have liked. Next time, I might cut the banana in half and add even more berries.

Strawberry Banana Cupcake Recipe

This recipe is an adaptation of my grandma’s easy banana cupcakes.

Strawberry Banana Cupcakes

Yield: 18 cupcakes

Strawberry Banana Cupcakes

• 1/2 C butter (1 stick)
  • 1 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C Greek yogurt (you could also use sour cream)
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 C mashed bananas (about 2 bananas)
  • 1 C macerated strawberries

1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Mix in eggs, yogurt, flour, baking soda, and vanilla.
  3. Stir in bananas and strawberries until combined.
  4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 F.

Notes

The Frosting

I topped the cupcakes with Greek yogurt frosting.

The Cupcake Liners

When I first began cupcake blogging, I used only plain white cupcake liners, but I quickly developed a sizable liner collection. I get super excited whenever I see a style I haven’t seen before. My friend Christina bought me the liners shown above as a surprise gift. Despite my lot of liners, I had never seen this pattern! They are so cute and appropriately came in strawberry and banana colors! Thanks, Christina! Sorry you didn’t get to eat any of the cupcakes baked in them. Luckily, I have some liners left, so you can try one next time.

8 Responses to Strawberry Banana Cupcakes

1. Carrie May 27, 2009 at 3:10 pm #

adorable liners!

the recipe looks good, too. I have yet to make a banana cupcake, but I’ve been craving things banana lately. I may have to give this one a whirl!

2. veggievixen May 27, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

oh wow. can’t waste beautiful strawberries like that on something ordinary, right? i am really hoping these can be veganized because they look amazing!!!

i love cupcake liners too. isn’t it so fun looking for new patterns?

3. NikiTheo May 28, 2009 at 4:01 am #

Yum! These look very good! I am especially curious to try the Greek yogurt frosting…

4. Happy cook May 28, 2009 at 4:05 am #

Love the idea of strwberry and the banana, loke the cup cake liner.

5. agathac24 May 28, 2009 at 7:56 am #

These sound fabulous! Might hit my strawberry craving sweet spot too. Wonder if there is a strawberry frostine (w/o yogurt)…I’ll go for full on sugar buzz at this point!

6. Ivy May 28, 2009 at 9:14 am #

I love the top photo! You are so creative.

7. Pinky May 28, 2009 at 12:17 pm #

Yumm. I love strawberry banana too. I made some banana muffins awhile ago and replaced part of the banana with strawberry. But I also thought the banana was still dominant. Maybe some sort of strawberry filling…
    And I love the greek yogurt frosting idea. I’ve been on a huge greek yogurt kick lately (just finished my morning bowl of fruit, yogurt, and cereal) and I had been thinking lately that it would be good for frosting. Glad to see it works!

8. - bcgw. May 28, 2009 at 3:59 pm #

delicious site!

9. Elyse May 28, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

These cupcakes sound summery and delicious–plus, with the Greek yogurt frosting, they aren’t too bathing suit-unfriendly :) I can’t wait to try this recipe out–and I’ll take your advice and cut the banana down.

10. ModCreations May 29, 2009 at 5:05 am #

The yogurt frosting is absolutely amazingly yummy! Great texture and taste. I agree with you Queen O Cupcakes, more berries, less nannas. But they were still extremely yummy. I could have eaten 5 … but that would have been rude.

11. Little Miss Cupcake May 29, 2009 at 11:07 am #

Love your cute smiley face photo. I too love banana strawberry yogurt and glad you decided to experiment with this great flavor combo!

12. Katie May 30, 2009 at 6:30 am #

these look so cute and delicious.

13. Wheeler's Crew May 30, 2009 at 12:52 pm #

This is so cute and sounds so delicious! Do you know how I could make this vegan?

14. JSD May 30, 2009 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks for the recipe. Keep on the good work. For all the cupcake lovers, take a look at this lovely animated short film: http://suite123.blogspot.com/2009/03/les-aventures-dun-cupcake.html

15. Anonymous April 25, 2010 at 9:53 am #

hey so ireally wanna try these but where can i get masarated strawberries from? or do you make them yourself? if so, how?

16. Stef April 25, 2010 at 11:22 am #

Anon – Just smash up a bunch of strawberries. You can use a food processor.

17. Anonymous June 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm #

these look amazing, I was thinking of making the batter and pouring into ice cream cones with your whipped strawberry icing!! Is there any way I could substitute whole wheat flour instead of white or half and half??

18. Stef June 28, 2010 at 6:09 am #

Wheeler’s – To make it vegan, I would use oil instead of butter and soy milk instead of yogurt.

Anon – I would suggest half whole wheat and half white flour.

19. peggy pierson June 14, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Hey, just made these Strawberry Banana Cupcakes and they are amazing! Made the Greek yogurt icing too…mmm mmm good!

20. shameka December 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I just made these cupcakes and i must say they are to die for. I didn’t make the yogurt icing but i decide to make strawberry banana icing instead but boy oh boy was it good

21. Jess January 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

could you use strawberry jam to get more of the strawberry flavor?

22. Ashley @ FROSTEDChic March 3, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Wow the hubby and son would love these!

23. Natasa Milosevic March 18, 2012 at 11:07 am #

I needed to try them as soon as possible! What do you think?! :)

24. imandel May 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Would these cupcakes be just as good if I used blueberries instead of the strawberries and bananas?

25. Cornelia May 14, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

Hey,
    Wanna try these delicious cupcakes, just have one question… What kind of vanilla do you use? Sugar, extract, bean or bean paste? Thank you.