Toffee Recipe: Toffee That’s Almost Too Good to Put in a Cupcake | Cupcake Project

Toffee Recipe: Toffee That’s Almost Too Good to Put in a Cupcake

A toffee recipe was not what I started out looking for. I was actually looking for a bread pudding cupcake recipe. What I found, though, was a bread pudding cupcake that contained homemade toffee. While I enjoyed the cupcakes, the homemade toffee was the star of the show! It was so good, in fact, that I hardly put any in the cupcakes. I wanted lots of the toffee around to snack on.

Was the Homemade Toffee Recipe Hard to Make?

Surprisingly, the toffee recipe was not difficult to make. The instructions even included the words “do not stir.” You basically do nothing. All you do is add the three ingredients, wait, and make sure not to forget that they’re on the stove.

The Toffee Recipe

I got the toffee recipe from Chockylit. Here is her recipe, with my notes and slight adaptations:

Toffee Recipe: Toffee That’s Almost Too Good to Put in a Cupcake

Toffee Recipe: Toffee That’s Almost Too Good to Put in a Cupcake

• 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon corn syrup
  • 1 cup sugar
  • roughly chopped nuts (optional)

1. Add all ingredients except nuts to a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
  3. The mixture will start to boil with vigor. Do not stir.
  4. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture reaches the soft crack phase - 270 F. If you buy a digital candy thermometer with a timer, you can step away and not come back until it beeps.
  5. Pour into a casserole dish lined with oiled parchment paper (I used dabs of the corn syrup to stick the parchment paper in place).
  6. Optionally, sprinkle chopped nuts all over the top of the hot toffee.
  7. Let the toffee sit out for a few hours to cool and harden.
  8. After the toffee has cooled, break it into chunks.

Fond Candy Memories

Another really easy candy that I have made is pineapple candy. I loved my pineapple candy! As I write this, I am thinking of making it again, perhaps with another fruit.

17 Responses to Toffee Recipe: Toffee That’s Almost Too Good to Put in a Cupcake

1. Nancy July 14, 2008 at 3:34 am #

Cover this yummy-sounding toffee with some artisan chocolate and you have a truly upscale Heath bar.

2. Jen July 14, 2008 at 6:25 am #

I love a good toffee but also can’t wait to read about bread pudding cupcakes! Next to tiramisu, it’s one of my favorite desserts!

3. Stef July 14, 2008 at 8:00 am #

Nancy – Oooh.. that would be awesome!

Jen – Not a bad idea. :)

4. CB July 14, 2008 at 9:04 am #

That’s it? I have a feeling I will be making me some toffee soon! Mmmmm…

5. Becky July 14, 2008 at 9:43 am #

not completely off topic, but your photo made me want some peanut brittle. love the photos.

6. Katy July 14, 2008 at 10:39 am #

i am trying this for sure! what a simple, yummy recipe. also, on the homemade candy topic, did you see the recipe for fruit leather on simply recipes a few weeks ago? i’ve made it three times already — so yummy!

7. Gina July 14, 2008 at 7:13 pm #

Ooooh, sounds absolutely delicious! And Nancy’s idea…yuuu-uuuuuu-mmy!! I just so happen to have everything here to make the toffee – might be something good to do tomorrow considering the crapola day I had today. :) Might make me happier!

Can’t wait to read about the cupcakes, too!

8. Grace July 15, 2008 at 1:50 am #

oh toffee. you’ve got to love an ingredient that can be eaten and enjoyed just as easily by itself. and i can’t tell you how much i’m looking forward to these bread pudding cupcakes. swoon.

9. Kimberly July 15, 2008 at 1:21 pm #

I adore toffee … can’t wait to try your recipe!!!

10. maybelles parents July 15, 2008 at 2:52 pm #

oh, I love the photos. And, this just looks so good.

11. the AIRY FAIRY July 16, 2008 at 3:46 am #

oooo, i love toffee…i usually make a more softer toffee that i then use as a filling for my cupcakes, but i must try this more brittle toffee to put on top…looking forward to seeing what you made with this!

12. Tora November 20, 2008 at 4:12 am #

Ooh! Yum! I was wondering if you’ve ever tried making toffee out of boiling a tin of condensed milk? Because that also makes a creamy toffee perfect for toffee apples and such. I was just wondering if you had tried, because in that case – which is better? :D

Thanks so much for posting, I will definitely try this one out.

13. Stef November 20, 2008 at 6:45 am #

Tora – They are totally different. This toffee is like a hard candy. What you are talking making from sweetened condensed milk is called dulce de leche. I love them both! I’ve made dulche de leche before but I made it a bit differently: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/01/what-is-dulce-de-leche.html

Anyway, let me know if you give this one a try. It’s so yummy!

14. anne May 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

just finish making your toffee, it is by far the best, beautiful, just like the cleaves toffee we used to buy as kids. I’v been looking for a long time to get it right,thank you so much, we can now enjoy great homemade toffee.

15. Tayler Quigley May 22, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

I made the toffee like you said and for some reason mine is really soft, almost like taffy. .Like those little Werther’s caramels. What happened? :( It IS pretty humid so I had to put it in the fridge to cool….

16. Stef May 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Taylor, my guess is that you didn’t let it heat up long enough. It probably would have hardened had more time gone by.

1. Easy Pecan Brittle | Cupcake Project - April 19, 2013

[...] find the recipe for pecan brittle on my toffee recipe post from way back in 2008.  I updated the recipe and included the option of adding [...]